Well worth the effort!

aga man

Seems it was my turn to have the lurgy this week as it seems to doing the rounds. Being a one man band I have no choice but to plod on, but It's fair to say I have felt as rough as a badgers backside for most of the week.

I received a kind invitation from JDog over the weekend to join him and try to outsmart some of these freshly arrived pigeons on the Lincolnshire wolds. I guess most folk would of politely declined and stayed in bed on a Sunday morning but given the fact I hadn't fired a shot in while and also hadn't seen the good man himself for a couple of months, I gratefully accepted the invite.

JDog had spoke of a big number of pigeons which had seemingly just turned up on some of his patch. I have shot with JDog enough times to know that he rarely exaggerates pigeon numbers infact he will often say there are 200 on a field when there is more like 400.

After setting off from Hull at 7.30am I met JDog at 8.30am and headed for the masses of pieons. We headed firstly for a fresh bean stubble where he had seem them and guess what less than a 3rd of the numbers he had seen were feeding. Never the less, we walked them off and set up some decoys etc. After 1 hour with only 1 pigeon and a carrion crow we decided to pack up and look elsewhere. This spot was 80 yds from the car and to walk it twice with all the kit and a head full of snot nearly killed me.

Location 2 was some old wheat stubble and once again on half the amount of birds present. We decided to have a sandwich and watch for a bit. The pigeons swirled and flitered around in a very odd fashion, it seemed they were confused. After 20 mins we decided between us that setting up a rotary and some dead birds on the edge of a wood the birds wanted to be in was the best we could do, and to be honest we both thought pigeons would simply move off.

The pigeons seemed to switch on after a while and for two hours we had some decent sport with pigeons coming to look at the rotary or heading for the wood.

We called it a day 2.30pm And with the help of Jasper we picked 33 pigeons and a couple of crows. I could of shot better to be honest and added another 10 or so to the bag but hey ho, I wasn't feeling my best.

It was a lovely day to be out and the company was as good as ever. So pleased I pushed myself to get out and shoot a few.

Tricky to suggest where these birds are from but they behaved different to any other Lincolnshire pigeons I have shot and I have shot quite a few now.

Thanks for reading.

Nice one aga man , you cant blame Mr JDog for catching his virus if you hadn't seen him for a couple of months , but going out is the perfect tonic when you are not feeling to great and having a few shots is a bonus , mine lasted for about a week and a bit of fresh air taking the dog out done me the world of good , hope you are both feeling better and your pigeons hang about for a few more weeks .