.17 Mach 2

steve_b_wales

hi steve

i used to have one and found it very good out to 130 yds ish in the right conditions , really nice little calibre,accurate and imo not quite as loud as the HMR,ammo was plentiful up here , only sold it to go back to the HMR  for the extra distance

I heard ammo was hard to come by too.

A CZ 452 came up for sale in my local gun shop for £95 and the owner said they had loads of Mach 2 ammo in and getting it wasn't a problem 

so did the next nearest gun shop  and the next nearest.

sadly the gun sold before I got my variation in.

i wouldn't be put off by a lack of ammo asking as you like hornady.

I have used the calibre twice, first off when they were very new and about 2.5-3 years ago yet again.

They have a place, but in my view a VERY SMALL place.  I have .22lr, HMR and WMR and finding a real need for a 17Mk2 is pretty near impossible for me, certainly not anything like enough need to justify another gun in the cabinet.

Everyone is different with different requirements so who knows, but they have never taken off and despite assurances/suggestions about ammo availability, I wouldn't hold your breath.   I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there is just ONE manufacturer in the world now!

ATB!

5 hours ago, Edinburgh Rifles said:

One manufacturer was always the same for HMR ammo too

Doesnt mean it is suddenly going to suddenly stop being made though

A number of people made HMR ammo at one point, but its just CCI and Winchester now AFAIK.

Edited by Dekers

28 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I know of two RFD's who stock the Mach2 ammunition, and one of them has 4000 in stock.

I'm sure he would be more than happy to find someone to buy it! :lol:

As I said in my original post, they serve a purpose but it is a very narrow purpose, and has simply not taken off.

CZ (and I suspect others) no longer chamber anything in 17mk2, I can't help thinking that speaks volumes.  A quick look at the CZ website suggests they make 15 different rifles in .22WMR (written off by many), that SHOUTS volumes about the 17mk2.  I am absolutely convinced there are those who find 17mk2 very suitable/useful for their needs and great for them, they are a tiny minority.  I can get anything I need and I need a lot for my work, but in all the different environments I am called to work in I am yet to walk into a situation where I said 17mk2 would be ideal here!

Look, I jest somewhat, but I would be very interested to know when any RFD last ordered ANY 17mk2 rifle for stock!

:lol::good:

Edited by Dekers

9 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I'm sure he would be more than happy to find someone to buy it! :lol:

As I said in my original post, they serve a purpose but it is a very narrow purpose, and has simply not taken off.

CZ (and I suspect others) no longer chamber anything in 17mk2, I can't help thinking that speaks volumes.

Look, I jest somewhat, but I would be very interested to know when any RFD last ordered ANY 17mk2 rifle for stock!

:lol::good:

I agree with 'serving a purpose' and for me, that would be 99% rabbit control on golf courses. I've got a 22LR and 22 Hornet, but both are not suitable for these grounds. I was considering a 17HMR but have a chance to buy a CZ 452 with dedicated DM80 moderator and ammunition for a reasonable price.

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I agree with 'serving a purpose' and for me, that would be 99% rabbit control on golf courses. I've got a 22LR and 22 Hornet, but both are not suitable for these grounds. I was considering a 17HMR but have a chance to buy a CZ 452 with dedicated DM80 moderator and ammunition for a reasonable price.

If it works for you then it works for you!  :good:

Edited by Dekers