Old Mossberg or newer Hatsan 12g pump

nnorman32

Hi,

Having little money now the season of buying stuff that people don't need for people you don't like approaches I thought I had a good deal where I got an older pump action Multichoke in px for my £75  Italian semi auto  A5 copy but, the guy took a cash deal instead leaving me grumpy and looking around for a plan B.

Once I get shot of my Franchi , my slightly pathetic budget is £200 which means  i can have a Hatsan or an older Mossberg.

This  should be a no brainer in favour of the Mossberg but Hatsan seems to have ironed out the problems it had with earlier models, I'm not concerned about Brand names just reliability.

Any thoughts....

(Getting shot of my Franchi is not a euphemism)

Mossberg would be for me hatsans dont care what they say are **** a lot of dealers here in N Irealand won't even take them as trade ins i know there be shooters on forum who will reply to this saying im wrong have seen 3 fowlers buying them then selling them after couple outing guns jamming etc

For your £200 budget you could get a decent Mossberg and a slab of cartridges, look through the various online search engines. I have had Hatsans and simply didn’t like them, no reason really, but I suppose I prefer older, American designs. The Hatsans I have had, autos and pumps had no more flaws than anything else really. If you go for a Mossberg, try for a 500 rather than 600 model. No great difference, but the 500 takes down better ( the slide is captive in the 600)

Whatever you get , enjoy and post some pics on the pump club 

6 hours ago, impala59 said:

For your £200 budget you could get a decent Mossberg and a slab of cartridges, look through the various online search engines. I have had Hatsans and simply didn’t like them, no reason really, but I suppose I prefer older, American designs. The Hatsans I have had, autos and pumps had no more flaws than anything else really. If you go for a Mossberg, try for a 500 rather than 600 model. No great difference, but the 500 takes down better ( the slide is captive in the 600)

Whatever you get , enjoy and post some pics on the pump club 

Wabbitbosher should have something cheap and reliable

There's something lovely about a Mossberg 500\600. If you're not going to torture the poor thing then I'd go for one over a Hatsan.

Own a couple of Hatsan's and never had an issue with either. I assume people either have older models that have flaws (and are at the root of "Hatsan's are unreliable") or don't treat them right.

I had an old Mossberg, I now have a 26" Hatsan which has always worked without issue it has an adjustable stock for decent gun fit and being a multiichoke it is much more versatile. Oh I forgot to mention it was £260 to order brand new from Avalon Guns in Street.

Edited by sportsbob

I bought an old Mossberg 600AT for under 100 quid at a local RFD, it was in excellent condition.  Its now my go to pigeon gun and I have added a second barrel and a few other accessories it now looks like a new gun all for under 300 quid!

I'll be using it at the PW pump club meet this Saturday!

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Don't laugh

My only 12 is the totally awesome :good:savage Stevens mod79. Best £25 I've ever spent. Its so rough I couldn't part with it. Looking at buying another to have a matching pair :lol:

Not Laughing Strimmer! I've had a few of these and still have one. I only moved the others on so as to concentrate my collection. Looked after, they are a solid, well made piece of kit and refinished they look great (some of them had some great wood) The fact that there are so many still around is testimony to their build quality and durability. The Savages and Stevens and Savage/Stevens models have quite a high rate of parts interchangeability and really only differ in the safety catch location. I have fettled these guns from abused, locked and jammed up wrecks to decent usable pieces that are still giving good reliable service. Cheap? yes at the moment but future classics? I'm sure of it!

Post some pics of yours on the Pump Club thread

Edited by impala59

42 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Those savages did break on the corner of the for end link bar i had one 20 years ago did that, handled well and all steel construction was good. 

It could nearly be a baikal the way it's built. I've never taken it apart in the time I've owned it. Think 10 years. Most people would cry but if it ain' broke don't fix it. 

I'll ask the pump section too one day but seeing as there are a few owners on this thread is there any diagrams or step by step to strip the 79? Can't find any via google/youtube