Car Heater for when parked up

Keith RW

I use one of those cheap 12v heaters that plug in the fag lighter but run it off a leisure battery in the footwell with a timer between so it comes on 30 minutes before I leave the house. It's not pretty but it was cheap and it works (at clearing the windscreen anyway)

Edited by mickeylove

try filling some large cotton socks with silca cat litter and leaving them on your dashboard. It's cheap and easy, I use this in my garaged cars to obsorb moisture during storage. Leave the filled socks out in the sun once in a while to lose the moisture.

Alternatively here's a viz top tip; get up earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, db135 said:

Webasto make over night vehicle heaters around 300 qwid on line

The Webasto heaters (I had one on an X5 I bough second hand that the original owner had every extra available!) are like a small central heating boiler (burned diesel) added to the coolant system.  Quite common on cars sold in cold climates, and also fitted to LandRover high end vehicles.  You used a timer (built into the 'in car computer') to set it and it turns on the boiler and an electric circulator pump (plus the computer set the heater fan and controls on).  Also pre-warmed the engine.  I don't think this level of complexity would be easy to add as an afterthought.  They do an aftermarket kit https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/

Ebespachers work well and the ones I have seen were independant of the coolant system, heating air and blowing it into the cab

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2017 at 16:58, lancer425 said:

This is the way to go, my Kangoo when i first got it was wet inside condensation was terrible even in dry weather if windows shut it started to mist in screen corners , Dried it out as described elsewhere with an industrial EBAC Dehumidifier, then just a simple candle heater plant pot steel plate washers and a bolt its dry as a bone, i sleep in it now and then when up north fowling, if you have too much heat the condensation gets bad, but the candle heater and crack a window open its  stays dry screen stays clear inside and out, handy little idea the candle heaters.

I had forgotten about this, so how long does in take for the candle heater to warm up? Thinking it might make defrosting the car after night shift a lot easier or stop it freezing up before I set off.

Thanks

On 14/12/2017 at 04:12, Mice! said:

I had forgotten about this, so how long does in take for the candle heater to warm up? Thinking it might make defrosting the car after night shift a lot easier or stop it freezing up before I set off.

Thanks

It will keep the screen clear if you position the heater in the front, condensation if you ventilate the van is not a problem, we are not talking heat as in 70 degrees in my old Kangoo but was freezing the other night when we were up in the highlands was cosy in the van and none of that breathing cold air and waking up in the middle of the night needing to fire up the van get the heater going.

These little heaters do make a significant difference, just one tee light heater in the back of the van means you are coming back to a defrosted warmish van after cold morning flights, and if back to the van after flight for a tea no need to burn diesel getting the heater going if you are sat in the van for a wile in the day.

yes mate it did cheers, we got 6 pinks between two of us and a dozen widgeon in three flights.  Was birds about but not as many as earlier, they are getting split up a little now up where we went anyway.

thing is we were alone every flight saw just one lad in a Ranger Pick up on the way out last day, he was a local shooter  but just walking his dogs.