16 bore cartridges

Welcome to the 16 gauge fan club! 

Hint: a 16 gauge is for hunting.

Ok - so it could be used for clays, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't a single UK-manufactured clay cartridge for 16 gauge. You might find some of the Italian makers creating something in a #8 which is near enough a UK #7½, but I believe the general feeling is that, because 16's are relatively few and far between, it's not economical to load clay cartridges for them. There'd certainly be very little profit to be had in it, when one needs to run off 1,000,000 cartridges to see any appreciable margin.

I suspect there are actually quite a lot of them out there, languishing in the backs of cabinets. They just don't get used because people prefer to take other things out to the field / clay ground. Just the way it is I guess, but certainly I wanted one ever since I saw a rather nice example on my first ever walked up day and thought "ooh - that looks interesting".

Stick with an ounce of #6 and use it for everything. Take a different gun if you really need bigger shot. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by neutron619

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:14, Paul1440 said:

As above, cheddite do a 28g load in italisn 8s (uk 7.5) 70mm carts that aren't  stupidly expensive.

It's what I've been using for clays.  They seem to perform well. 

I have a 16 bore and these sound perfect for a walk around towards the end of the season. I have been using Hull HP 26g no 7, Hull don't make the 28gm in 7's, just 5 or 6's. I may try some Eley or Express in 28gm 7s.

Time to start reloading for it. You can then make whatever you want to shoot out of it and subsonic wise I’m sure cookoff could give some advice. 

There are some very nice 16 bore guns around but cartridge availability and being in between the 12 & 20 bore make it even less popular. 

Edited by figgy

• 3 months later...

Not picked up any yet but this load was only launched a few weeks ago. About time frankly!! Well done Hull Cartridge. Anyone have any idea on prices yet? Not listed on Just cartridges although they do have them in stock according to their facebook page.

I've shot 16's for about 30 years and stumbled across some things called "little skeeters" in the US recently. They are gauge reducing tubes that reduce the chamber. I bought some mail order to the UK, a set in 16 down to 20 bore, 16 down to 410 and 12 down to 410. They are recommended for use with only clay loads. A bit fiddly to get the empty shells out, but I can practice with 20 bore cartridges in the 16 and keep my eye in, the saving goes on number 5 bismuth for ducks.

• 4 months later...

Hi havent looked on here for  some time i have 4 16g 2old a5 semi autos  a 1920 s by s and have just got a 16g competitsion o/u i only shot clays i get the same scores with both  my 12g and 16g guns Longthorn Guns of Northhampton have 16g clay cartridges 7 1/2 shot made forthem by ELEY .Sellior and Belliot make trap and skeet cartridges i have used some brought by a mate

I've just come across this thread to find it quite interesting

I shoot 16g among other guages and have owned one for around 7 to 8 years and love them

The guage is making a great come back in the UK and there is a wider range of cartridges from quite a few makers

On Guntrader there was normaly around 21 to 30 16g o/u for sale If you look now there are nearer 60  Half of which is the new Browning b525 16g who have just brought these out

Prior to these you had the Citori white lightning ( which i did own one ) made for the American market and quite rare over here

Perazzi have 16g aswell as Chapius.  Rizinni and Lincoln have always had 16g

Just watch Beretta will be next then other makers will follow suit with 16g's

Cartridge suppliers will follow suit with wider ranges

9 minutes ago, busbiter said:

It is great to see! I have always shot a 16. Going to treat myself in the coming weeks, undecided whether to go with a B525 30'' or spend a bit more and go with a Rizzini roundbody....

I've a Lincoln Jubilee Prestige for sale New unfired 30" barrels  Still has makers labels on and protective wax

I use the same in 28" barrels Great little guns

Bought this 30" on a whim but do'nt need it

I considered a B Rizzini  Artemis a  few month back but they come in at 7lb plus which defeats the idea of a light game gun Might aswell carry a 12g of same weight

Whereas the Prestige is around 6 1/2lb

11 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I've a Lincoln Jubilee Prestige for sale New unfired 30" barrels  Still has makers labels on and protective wax

I use the same in 28" barrels Great little guns

Bought this 30" on a whim but do'nt need it

I considered a B Rizzini  Artemis a  few month back but they come in at 7lb plus which defeats the idea of a light game gun Might aswell carry a 12g of same weight

Whereas the Prestige is around 6 1/2lb

+1 for the Lincoln Prestige in 16 gauge. They really are great guns and as Sabel25 says, all the others come in over 7lbs. 

I shoot with a 16g Prestige and cannot fault it.

New ones are now just under £2000 if you can get hold of one go for it.

Sabel25 has a new one for considerably less than the new price. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy his.

OB

When I was looking earlier in the year the jubilee prestige certainly tickled my fancy as little else around and certainly is a beautiful gun, didn't realise you still had it for sale! Earlier in the year it didn't quite work out financially but moving house recently has left a hole burning.... I went and looked at a B525 today at Eastern Sporting in Gt Baddow..... within 10 mins I had put a deposit down, a beautiful looking gun and whilst a little bit heavier than your average 16 bore, it pulls up and point a treat. The 16g B525's wont hang about for long. There has been a couple of Mcnab Highlanders show up in the last few days on guntrader also.

I will  keep my lincoln premier gold as a knock about gun, it has served me well over the last 10 years. I am truly loving the resurgence of the 16 and it is very encouraging to see the cartridge manufacturers increase their range.... watch this space as sure there will be a further increase in available loads,and hopefully an increase in available clay loads. Whilst I think that eley missed a trick with their paper case VIP's (I think they should have been branded grand prix inline with papercase 12 and 20's and keeping with the eley tradition), it is very encouraging to see them take note of the resurgence and increase their range so credit to eley. Credit to Hull launching the pro sixteen also, a great move! 

I have an Army & Navy Box Lock 16 gauge made circa 1900. Originally black powder damascus barrels which I had nitro proofed. Had the stock measured and made for me and it fits like a glove.  I have always wondered why the 16 never became the chosen one as they are a delight to shoot and will handle everything a 12 gauge will in standard game cartridges and certainly those built on the correct sized action are light in the hand. I have become a bit of a 410 nutter, but at least a couple of days a year I take the 16 for a day out. 

11 hours ago, busbiter said:

When I was looking earlier in the year the jubilee prestige certainly tickled my fancy as little else around and certainly is a beautiful gun, didn't realise you still had it for sale! Earlier in the year it didn't quite work out financially but moving house recently has left a hole burning.... I went and looked at a B525 today at Eastern Sporting in Gt Baddow..... within 10 mins I had put a deposit down, a beautiful looking gun and whilst a little bit heavier than your average 16 bore, it pulls up and point a treat. The 16g B525's wont hang about for long. There has been a couple of Mcnab Highlanders show up in the last few days on guntrader also.

I will  keep my lincoln premier gold as a knock about gun, it has served me well over the last 10 years. I am truly loving the resurgence of the 16 and it is very encouraging to see the cartridge manufacturers increase their range.... watch this space as sure there will be a further increase in available loads,and hopefully an increase in available clay loads. Whilst I think that eley missed a trick with their paper case VIP's (I think they should have been branded grand prix inline with papercase 12 and 20's and keeping with the eley tradition), it is very encouraging to see them take note of the resurgence and increase their range so credit to eley. Credit to Hull launching the pro sixteen also, a great move! 

Good luck with your new purchsae I hope you realise that Browning are offering  £150 cashback on new guns purchased?

Them 16g  Mcnabs are built on the 12g action so your carrying a 12bore around and not a scaled down 16 bore