12 bore black powder loads

Easiest way is to remember that BP loves a "square" load i.e. same amount ,volume wise, powder and shot-if you want an ounce (bout right in a 2 1/2" chamber) then fill an empty shell case with 1 ounce of shot then trim the cartridge till it is flush with the load - reload the cut shell and weigh the load several times to make sure that all is well - now you can use the "measure" to load the powder and the shot....simples.

I bought an adjustable shot dipper for about £8 on evilBay - that seems to work pretty well for loading black powder cartridges - as bruno22rf's post above, I just use 'square loads', so 1 oz of shot to the same volume of powder (Pyrodex in my case).

Had to extend the handle to get down into the Pyrodex bottle,  but I now store shot in an empty Pyrodex bottle, so it works quite well for both shot and powder.

For black powder cartridges for game shooting using a 2.1/2 chambered gun you will need the following load . 2.3/4 drms of medium grain black powder to 1.1/8 oz of no 5 shot  this is a volume load . To load first the powder then a 1/8 card wad then a 1/2 inch or 3/8 Kleena wad or a felt wad then  a 1/8 card followed by the shot and finish with a 1/16  card over shot wad .You should have a  1.3/16 of case for a rolled turn over. If you use this load you should find it ok ,there is one thing that I will say never,never use  plastic wads with black powder they are the worst thing to cause barrel ripple 

Feltwad

Loading tools

100_1184.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Just ️️shot today useing 20 GUAGE, loaded a few up with black powder, card and felt wad and 24 grams of 5s, ️shot very well in a stiff breeze and had a few comments from some guns who hadn't seen black powder perform.

had a good day weather wise for106 head, our maize hasn't been cut yet so drives where limited.