It needed a good wind.

JDog

The forecast for today was a reasonable wind of 17mph but when I went to bed last night I was slightly depressed as it showed rain moving in at 11am. At 6am the forecast had changed to show heavy rain moving in at 1pm so I thought it was worth a go this morning before lunch time.

I have seen pigeons moving on a line but I was too idle to go and see where they were going. This morning I discovered that they were going into a rape field, surprise, surprise. This is early but as others have discovered they are on rape. The wind was better than 17mph, more like 30 mph. I had to travel light as there was quite a walk so I took my kit, seven dead birds and 75 cartridges. I needed coffee and chocolate to recover from my exertions. My hide was secreted in an old Crataegus  hedge which was covered in berries and for a few minutes all I saw was Fieldfares. I was ready by 9:45. The first casualty of the strong wind was the rotary which blew over and I took it down, relying instead on dead birds on sticks.

Decent groups of pigeons started to move and they decoyed nicely in packs of twenty to thirty. To be fair they were not difficult to shoot coming into the wind and I had ten possibly eleven chances at triples and I never achieved that feat once. I must go to Norfolk to watch the experts in action. Birds coming across the wind and down the field to my sheltered position were a different matter and they were difficult and I missed a fair few of those. I was going well with almost forty on the clicker when the rain started and I hastily packed up my kit and took most of it back to the car. The return journey for 47 pigeons was daunting.

Jasper has been thoroughly washed down with hot soapy water and dried, the pigeons are now laid out in the wood shed, my gun has been cleaned, my wife brought me beef sandwiches and coffee to my man cave and almost all is well with the world.

thumbnail_20171107_115226_2.jpg

thumbnail_20171107_115154_1.jpg

Edited by JDog

10 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Good effort.

Are you still still seeing those large groups of jittery birds in your area? They seem to be dispersing a little over this side of the wolds

Yes big flocks are still hanging around. Today was the perfect opportunity to get to grips with them. This was at Ludford between Louth and Market Rasen.