.177 or .22?

Scully

I’m in the market for a HW100 ( not sure which variant yet ) which will mainly be used for rabbit control in and around typically large gardens. 

What I can’t decide is which calibre and whether or not there is any advantage in going for S1.

I understand I may have opened a can of worms here, but advice from those in the know would be invaluable. 

I intend to ring local RFD tomorrow. 

Cheers.

I used .22 for years but now use .177 exclusively. For most rifles in .177 you can zero at 35 yards and be almost flat shooting from 14 yards to 38 yards. Easy to apply a little holdover out to 45 yards which is a sensible limit although some can and do reach out further when conditions are right. 

Scully I was always a .22 man but now I’m a .177 convert in the pcp guns I still have a .22 HW95 that never gets used. 

If you plan on going FAC i would  go for .25 as I think this is the caliber that benefits the most from the extra without going over the top on pellet size. 

have a read, if you haven't already of the .22 or .25 threads with regards fac, there is really good info with regards power and ranges, personally I would say stick with.22 as .177 pellets are very fidly, but you might be better off asking if anyone you know can let you borrow a gun for a week in both flavours and see how you get on.

It's been slow on here recently anyway so a which calibres best is always fun.

Just had my bottles refilled and .22 hitting near enough at 20 &25mtrs 

If it's for rabbits in sub 12 .then .177 all the way .there really is no valid argument for a .22.

If section 1 .then take your pick of .177 .22 or .25 .They all shoot around 900 fps and have similar trajectories. The .25 will have more range as its more stable for longer ranges .

in Fac .177 .out to about 65 yds ., .22 out to 75 .and .25 out to around 85 yds. 

These are realistic  .with another 5 yds max of your lucky .

Don't forget though as you go up in cal so does the fallout risk and backstop awareness .i think of my. 25 cal 45 fpe more as a .22 rim fire than an airgun .

By contrast a fac. 177 around 16 fpe requires less back stop consideration than a sub 12  .22 .

It's all about balance . 

Personally for a large garden id go .either sub or fac. 177 

Tough call Scully but good luck with your choice of gun. 

In PCP i use a Falcon Prairie in .22 a Daystate hunstman in .177 and a Daystate Wolverine B type in .25.

The first two are sub 12 ft lbs the Wolverine is S1 and does 45 Ft lbs.

They all get an outing now and again. I used to think .177 was ideal for bunny but nowadays i pull the .25 out of the cabinet in preference to the others.      

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

If it's for rabbits in sub 12 .then .177 all the way .there really is no valid argument for a .22.

If section 1 .then take your pick of .177 .22 or .25 .They all shoot around 900 fps and have similar trajectories. The .25 will have more range as its more stable for longer ranges .

in Fac .177 .out to about 65 yds ., .22 out to 75 .and .25 out to around 85 yds. 

These are realistic  .with another 5 yds max of your lucky .

Don't forget though as you go up in cal so does the fallout risk and backstop awareness .i think of my. 25 cal 45 fpe more as a .22 rim fire than an airgun .

By contrast a fac. 177 around 16 fpe requires less back stop consideration than a sub 12  .22 .

It's all about balance . 

Personally for a large garden id go .either sub or fac. 177 

What about large gardens of six acres or more?  

Is a six acre garden not a field or wood? Guess it depends on neighbours and what are they surrounded by? Usual thing of back stops and safe shooting would come into play as to whether sub 12 or fac.

Scully, really have a play with a .177 you should be ok if your going for a magazine system, but old cold fingers and you may struggle.

20 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

What about large gardens of six acres or more?  

Well that depends on safe back stops 

Does the garden have them? .what about neighbours? 

I shoot several large gardens and have my facs passed for them .and up to rim fire. But I only really use the .177 fac in them .and save the. 22 and .25 for farmland .

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Well that depends on safe back stops 

Does the garden have them? .what about neighbours? 

I shoot several large gardens and have my facs passed for them .and up to rim fire. But I only really use the .177 fac in them .and save the. 22 and .25 for farmland .

Well Stu you obviously have an open FAC ticket so it's your choice to choose the gun and take the shot or not. 

Same as me ol' partner. 

Some "gardens" where i live are big with moats and flint brick walls 15 ft tall and four foot thick.      

26 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Well Stu you obviously have an open FAC ticket so it's your choice to choose the gun and take the shot or not. 

Same as me ol' partner. 

Some "gardens" where i live are big with moats and flint brick walls 15 ft tall and four foot thick.      

Fair enough. If the stops are good ,?crack on with the .25 cal .Mine is a formidable tool .and I love dropping rabbits out to 90 yds on still evenings .though a head shot is still required. 

springer = .22,pcp = .177 and fac = .22

If you go with a sub 12 pcp then a .177 is going to shoot straighter and further,accuracy is everything though, but a .22 will be shorter range with more stopping power.

just go fac .22 and use it almost anywhere.

Have used all the above and these are just my humble opinions and it would have to be Air Arms of course and a multi shot is a must on live quarry.

I’m in the minority i think?

I always used air guns in .22 and was always satisfied, then I was bought a Hw95k in .177 for my 30 birthday.

great gun after I had it tuned , it was a total mess in side straight from the box.

i was expecting something different and amazing using this caliber, totally underwhelming.couldnt get to grips with it(no pun intended) , I had to many rabbits run and get to cover after being head shot, had pigeons fly off as well and drop into cover .I still own the 95 but only used at targets and it’s kept because it was a present from my then girlfriend and now wife .

I'm just back into air rifles after a lag of over 60yrs. One or two of the above contributors pointed me to the TX200 in 177 and I have not been disappointed. I think you would be well advised to try the 177 as I have shot magpies, pigeons,  rats, squirrels and rabbits out to 40yrds.  Rabbits head shot only and the accuracy of the TX200 has proved more than adequate. Anything over 40yrds and I go to the 22RF if absolute quiet is required or the 17HMR.  I find the 177 very flat shooting, requiring very little in hold over if you set your zero.  Just a bit of quick thinking if the target is under 10yrds but easy enough with practise to get that right. 

I now use the 10.3g Exact Diabolo pellet and most times complete pass through.