.177 or .22?

Scully

Well I know folk like saying you can take 40 and 45 yard shots with a.177, well I've been reading a lot of old air rifle mags in work from the 90's and most folk are still saying 35yards is your maximum range for an air rifle, the whole idea of 12ftb air rifles being you have to get close enough to use them.

might be I'm not as good a shot as others but 35yards would be my max and would still want something to lean on and little wind, 40 and 45 yards especially with a .22 on a twitchy movable target, not for me.

35 yds for a 775 ish fps ..177 is what most users zero at. As this range gives a nice useable trajectory from about 15 yds out to 38 with very little holdover or under required. Pushing that pellet out to 50 yds and the drop is around 2 inches . (Which isn't to tricky to compensate for. ) 

Granted wind is starting to have an effect and stability starting to fall off .which is why 50 yds is (these days ) generally accepted as the cals maximum range .

I've experimented a lot with .177 sub and fac (lots of power levels )  over many years and even more guns .and 50 yds is still about it for pinpoint accuracy .a good .177 fac optimised for accuracy can be pushed to around 60/  65 yds But I've never been able to reach sub inch groups consistently at 70 yds ..

If your shooting a quality.177 pcp rested in minimal breeze then 20 mm groups should be achievable. 

Hunting is obviously  different and harder to paper punching and a 1 shot kill trickier .though id still say 35 yds is bread and butter shot with 45 being a nice long ranger ..50 yds on the cards when conditions are just right .

Wot sort of energy would you expect a .177 to be holding at 45 yards stu? I just be worried about a slight movement of me or the quarry at that range and so the risk of injuring something jumps up, fac obviously different.

I was playing about the other day shooting paper at about 40mt mainly because something seemed wrong with my trigger and that's where the target was, its .22 so lots slower couple of shots were fine but also a couple probably an inch off target, so could have been a clean miss or something wounded.

IMG_20171112_190805.jpg

IMG_20171112_190718.jpg

So the above graphs are .first colm a .22 jsb 16 grn exact at 11.2 for and retained energy 

The second is my fac .177 shooting8.44 grn exact .third is my .177 sub12 bsa pcp shooting exact and forth is my nsa lighting sub 12 also with exacts 

The .22 is the red line 

Fac .177 is blue 

Green the pcp .177 and pink the springer .177 

The advantage of the fac .177 is clear though at 50 yds close to its max range you can still nearly aim bang on your quarry .the pellet only dropping an inch as opposed to over 2 inches for the sub 12 s .

But look at the energy retention of the .22 at 45 yds nearly as much as the fac .177 and comparing at 70 yds it will have more .

This is why I'm a big fan of the fac .177 .flat shooting over its useable range but safer than even a sub 12 .22 beyond .

Look how steep the pellet is dropping at 45 yds with the .22 pellet .a yard or 2 out in range estimation and you can easily drop out of the kill zone .

This is why the .22 is thought of as only really capable out to 40 max .

Good info there thanks, I wouldn't have expected the pellets to still have that much energy at 50yards I was expecting maybe half that.

I can well believe the drop off for the .22 at long range, probably why I always think folk saying there shooting at 45 &50 yards are talking nonsense.

I did read something the other day saying that in fac air the .177 is actually more stable because the smaller pellet is affected less by cross winds etc due to its smaller size, so I can see why you like it esp in fac.

thanks again might borrow my mates .177 just to see how it shoots?

So it's clear to see at 45 yds the 16 grn jsb .22 is carrying 18%more energy than the 8.44 grn jsb ..177 .

When they both started with 11.2 fpe .

So with the .22 s tenancy to penetrate deeper due to the extra mass /momentum as the ranges extend the .22 is even more likey to penetrate further due to its higher energy retention ,over the equivalent  .177 .

On 11/11/2017 at 15:15, washerboy said:

many

On 11/11/2017 at 15:15, washerboy said:

I’m in the minority i think?

I always used air guns in .22 and was always satisfied, then I was bought a Hw95k in .177 for my 30 birthday.

great gun after I had it tuned , it was a total mess in side straight from the box.

i was expecting something different and amazing using this caliber, totally underwhelming.couldnt get to grips with it(no pun intended) , I had to many rabbits run and get to cover after being head shot, had pigeons fly off as well and drop into cover .I still own the 95 but only used at targets and it’s kept because it was a present from my then girlfriend and now wife .

.22 is more forgiving. With the .177 the shot placement has to be perfect.

Nothing wrong with .22 for rabbits. 

If you go sub 12ft lbs i would go for .177 but if you go for the extra power of FAC I would (and did) go for .22

zeroed at 50yds you can shoot quite comfortably at 60/70 yds with a little hold over. I use the AA field 16grn pellet at 32ft lbs which works great for me.

Once again the .117 and .22 debate has been effectively solved...... until the next time someone asks!:lol:

My .22 12ft lb works just fine for me (and my FAC .22 Air), if you prefer .177 then crack on.

Likewise, the HW100 is a fine rifle but far to heavy a lump for me, but if that's what works for you.......

• 1 month later...

I don't see a huge difference between the two in sub 12 but I shoot .177 ans .22 at rabbits a lot.

the 22 has a tendency to flatten them more than the 177 and give more margin for error within its point blank range.

however the 177 will quite easily take them out to 50 yards but I believe pellet design is more important with 177 in terms of knock down power. It's my belief that a softer pellet with a bigger tendency to Deform on impact or a heavy pellet work best.

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

did you get a wooden spoon for Xmas? How about going to .20 or .25 for a complete change, .25 in fac and .20 in sub 12, stir stir

I recon semi auto shotties are more dangerous than over unders. It's obvious innit?