SGC/FAC, at all time high and burglars.

old'un

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would be interested in the cost of such an alarm and  just what the Police response time might be!

Install cost depends on the property and the level of complexity you want (there is a grading system which outlines how easy an alarm is to bypass) but assuming the cost is the same as for a small commercial property you will find yourself looking at £50/mth + VAT for the monitoring and maintenance elements alone!

It is worth being aware that the Police will only turn out for a "confirmed activation" (two or more sensors inside a fixed period of time) and that AMCO system might not do that if it relies on the "challenge" to confirm that there's someone there.  To many false calls and the Police stop coming until the system is stable again.

We had a confirmed activation of an alarm at one of our offices recently and the local police were in the car park in a matter of minutes (they were there before we'd worked out whether one of our staff had had managed to trigger it or whether it was real!).  Based on where the nearest station is, unless they were already in the area, they must have been out of the door PDQ to get there that quickly.

Out in the sticks, these days the Police response time is likely to be considerable ..... too long for burglars  who want to be 'in and out and gone' quickly.  We used to have 2 x police stations within 2 miles, but now call out is 20 minutes plus (and that is assuming they can find the address!).  Burglars know it and are long gone.

BUT, if neighbours hear the alarm and lights come on, people start looking etc, then that is quite good.  Crime prevention office told me that burglars do their very best not to be seen or known about until well away, and so an alarm, if it attracts local interest is a good deterrent.

I think it's safe to say - you'll never get a response fast enough to solve your problem once somebody's broken in.

An effective (as possible) deterrent/s is the only way to go. CCTV help with attacks whereby somebody would knock first to check nobody's in. I have an alarm because it came with the house. If it didn't, and I'd buy one, it's because it'd alert me. I have no interest in alerting the neighbours of a break in to my home. Again, no response would be fast enough anyway. Also, I've seen their response to alarms going off - nobody ever (realistically) investigates or calls the police.

Also, not suited to everyone - especially if they have any merchandise/trophies etc. around the house, but if you entered my house you wouldn't have a clue I go shooting. Anything shooting related is well out of sight. If you get an intruder, they may not necessarily be targeting you for the gun, in which case, it's best they don't know.

Edited by DanBettin

There is a siren which I can’t for the life of me remember the make - it’s yellow and red and bloody loud.

supposedly so loud it’s unbearable to be in the house with it sounding, not cheap Though.

Will search it out and post link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/127db-Intruder-Burglar-Alarm-Siren/dp/B005NY9UOK/ref=sr_1_17?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1510515499&sr=1-17&keywords=Alarm+siren

Edited by Jaymo

On 11/11/2017 at 16:23, 7daysinaweek said:

Speaking to a mate last night who lives about half mile from me, said this week two fellas walked into his neighbours house at about 7pm, got a knife out the kitchen draw and walked into the living room where he and his wife sat. They demanded the keys to a bmw which was parked outside and the man told them he did not own it and it was not his. The fellas eventually left and said to him, "you want to keep your door locked as it ain't safe out there" and then laughed at him. Bloody scumbags, he said they were in no hurry to leave and got in a car which was waiting outside for them on a well populated estate. How traumatising that must have been. Bit off thread but just goes to show the lengths these toeragswill go to.

atb

7diaw 

There is a simple lesson here isn't there, lock your doors.

its not the lengths they go, it's also the lengths we do. Locking doors should be a prerequisite to home safety surely?

The next step to securing your property would be a monitored CCTV system with external detectors and speakers. Scare off the trespassers before they even attempt to break in. Starting at around £25.00 a week for the monitoring and approx. £3k for the install, it is more expensive but it's blooming effective. Very good for those in a remote area in particular.