HW18/ TSS

guy baxendale

Getting my hands some some Tungsten Super Shot/ HW18 in a couple of weeks and was curious to know if anyone on here has ever loaded any?

Another question for the reloaders amongst you.....am i correct in saying that if I take an existing Tungsten recipe and substitute the exact payload weight.....albeit with the denser HW18 (and more packers) it should have a roughly neutral effect on pressures.

39 minutes ago, guy baxendale said:

Getting my hands some some Tungsten Super Shot/ HW18 in a couple of weeks and was curious to know if anyone on here has ever loaded any?

Another question for the reloaders amongst you.....am i correct in saying that if I take an existing Tungsten recipe and substitute the exact payload weight.....albeit with the denser HW18 (and more packers) it should have a roughly neutral effect on pressures.

I have loaded hw18 in 7.5 shot. I was a little cautious with my loadings, backing off a couple of grains on the powder charge of my usual hw13 recipes. I don't know of the effects on pressures with extra filler wads, but I do know that the shot takes up very little room in the shell.

May I ask where you are getting yours from, what size shot and at what price.

Am off to the US with work Wayne so getting some there. I went for some 6's and some 5's in the end after a great deal of indecision.......price was $40 a pound, which i think with the current exchange rate works out pretty much exactly the same as buying Powershot/HW13  from Clay and Game.

Have you used the 7.5's in anger yet and if so how did you get on with them?

Been reading a bit on tss on USA forums and most of them tend to save it for the smaller gauges 20 bore and less. Due to its expense and low shot count and volume to weight.  Or duplex a load with some with steel shot.

Using hw13 for fowling loads seems a more popular choice for the big ole honkers as they call them. 

15 minutes ago, figgy said:

Been reading a bit on tss on USA forums and most of them tend to save it for the smaller gauges 20 bore and less. Due to its expense and low shot count and volume to weight.  Or duplex a load with some with steel shot.

Its very popular with Turkey hunters - (also often using smaller gauges)

They reckon retained energy of is tss18 size 10 shot is same as size 6 heavy shot. Also size 10 is 500 pellets to the ounce that’s impressive for pattern density.  Be very good in .410 or 28 gauge around half ounce loads. 

Id like to put some size 6 or 7 in with big steel shot like BB size and see how it performs. Where the steel

is dropping off this stuff will be still going strong. 

You know,ive never done this, but my old man used to mix BB and #6 etc when he flock shot for a living a very long time ago.He reckoned the "mix" of shot was more lethal than one size alone.As i say i cannot  confirm that one way or another but i do recall the shed always full and the bathtub needing emptied of geese lying on newspapers  every time  we needed a bath as he had no space left for the bodies! So he must have knew his stuff i reckon.Lead shot naturally back then.

Edited by bishop

18 hours ago, figgy said:

They reckon retained energy of is tss18 size 10 shot is same as size 6 heavy shot. Also size 10 is 500 pellets to the ounce that’s impressive for pattern density.  Be very good in .410 or 28 gauge around half ounce loads. 

Id like to put some size 6 or 7 in with big steel shot like BB size and see how it performs. Where the steel

is dropping off this stuff will be still going strong. 

Here is a quote from the bloke i bought it from:

" you match the penetration of Steel BBs with TSS #9s.  HW13 #2s is matched in penetration by TSS #6 (but you get an 62 pellets per ounce more with TSS 6s).   I generally recommend 7s or 6s for geese."

I have loaded up some multiplex Loads for the first time this year. They are 50/50 mix duck loads of steel 3's and left over hevi shot 4's for my 10 bore. 

With a new baby in the house and the dog just having had an op on his foot not sure how much chance i am going to get to use them though :|

2 hours ago, guy baxendale said:

Here is a quote from the bloke i bought it from:

" you match the penetration of Steel BBs with TSS #9s.  HW13 #2s is matched in penetration by TSS #6 (but you get an 62 pellets per ounce more with TSS 6s).   I generally recommend 7s or 6s for geese."

I have loaded up some multiplex Loads for the first time this year. They are 50/50 mix duck loads of steel 3's and left over hevi shot 4's for my 10 bore. 

With a new baby in the house and the dog just having had an op on his foot not sure how much chance i am going to get to use them though 

Nothing doing on your Thames Valley ground? It's not too far from home.

I have used TSS 5s this was very effective, one question i would like to know though is at what point will physical smaller size size of shot pellets and the smaller wound less tissue damage  they cause start to show up negatively on lethality over a  less dense shot type with a physically bigger size.?

Comparing mass and FTlbs of energy is interesting but it is perhaps not the whole story.

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Nothing doing on your Thames Valley ground? It's not too far from home.

probably more a post Christmas thing.

Did see an absolute rake of honkers on a different area the other day - need to drive around and find out who owns it !

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

I have used TSS 5s this was very effective, one question i would like to know though is at what point will physical smaller size size of shot pellets and the smaller wound less tissue damage  they cause start to show up negatively on lethality over a  less dense shot type with a physically bigger size.?

Comparing mass and FTlbs of energy is interesting but it is perhaps not the whole story.

I have no idea - i would guess if they denser and retain more energy there could possibly be more Hydrostatic shock (or does that only happen with bullets vs pellets?)

9 minutes ago, guy baxendale said:

probably more a post Christmas thing.

Did see an absolute rake of honkers on a different area the other day - need to drive around and find out who owns it !

I have no idea - i would guess if they denser and retain more energy there could possibly be more Hydrostatic shock (or does that only happen with bullets vs pellets?)

Hydrostatic shock a bullet thing not shot pellets.

wounds that are smaller even though penetration is good i feel might have a lesser lethal effect not that i have noticed this with the HW13 loads or TSS, but i have not used 9s in TSS just 5s so really have no idea and precisely why i asked the question.

Being dense is a good thing in a shot pellet but being small too might just be taking from it anything its increased mass gave it.

HW13 is probably a better way to go, but again just guessing here.