Best wildfowling pump action gun

figgy

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think it would have to be the Benelli M2 if that’s the one with both pump and auto capability.

Failing that a Remington 870 in synthetic.

No that's the benelli M3. Personally I don't see it as an advantage in a sporting gun. You can clear a stoppage in a semi auto quicker than you could switch to manual on an M3. In anycase the sort of weights you're throwing whilst wildfowling are going to reliably cycle a semi-auto. 

However, pump actions are awesome, so I would vote for the super nova as being the best modern pump or the BPS if you want a 10 bore. 

18 minutes ago, theshootist said:

No that's the benelli M3. Personally I don't see it as an advantage in a sporting gun. You can clear a stoppage in a semi auto quicker than you could switch to manual on an M3. In anycase the sort of weights you're throwing whilst wildfowling are going to reliably cycle a semi-auto. 

However, pump actions are awesome, so I would vote for the super nova as being the best modern pump or the BPS if you want a 10 bore. 

Fair enough; I wasn’t thinking in terms of an advantage; only that I like the idea and the gun.

Watched a few reviews on YouTube last night one American review was a Remington 870 a mossberg 500 and a supernova.  He favoroured the mossberg and the bargain prices I can see why. He didn’t like the Remington’s slide release, Han no idea they had a slide release I thought you just slid the forend and that’s it.

looking around you can buy semi autos cheaper than pump action guns in the Uk. John Forsey has a new supernova for under 500 new others want that for a used one.

quite like the look of the Remington 887 nitro 31/2" chamber super magnum. 

Edited by figgy

19 minutes ago, figgy said:

Watched a few reviews on YouTube last night one American review was a Remington 870 a mossberg 500 and a supernova.  He favorited the mossberg and the bargain prices I can see why. He didn’t like the Remington’s slide release, Han no idea they had a slide release I thought you just slid the forend and that’s it.

The slide release on the 870 is quite a sharp serrated affair and although it never was an issue with me I can see the reviewers point.

The mechanism itself works like any other pump, in that the fore-end unlocks itself ready to be racked after each shot.

At least mine did anyhow.

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

The slide release on the 870 is quite a sharp serrated affair and although it never was an issue with me I can see the reviewers point.

The mechanism itself works like any other pump, in that the fore-end unlocks itself ready to be racked after each shot.

At least mine did anyhow.

+1.......on all pumps the slide release is only to open the action and unload a live chambered round

54 minutes ago, theshootist said:

Of course the Winchester model 12 is a king among pump actions - as I shall demonstrate on Sunday's pump club gathering! 

It will be a lonely monarch on Sunday...:lol:

However, if you turn up on Saturday, well - we shall see ;)

Edited by CaptainBeaky

I bought a bps for just this and have never yet managed to get to the foreshore with it. One day though i will get to try some wildfowling with it.

I went bps as it drops the cartridges between your feet, is ambidextrous so the better half can shoot it also (makes it much easier to justify to her), and is just a beautifully made bit of kit.