Best trousers for beating?

smiiithy

I got beating for the first time in a long time on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Knowing what hard work it can be when you really put the effort in I wore summer hiking trousers and was cut to ribbons by the thorns during some of the more challenging drives.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what the lightest trousers are that will also offer some protection?

I used to wear moleskins and even sold dozens of pairs on Pigeonwatch but was thinking that there must be something more durable that are acceptable for a beater to wear. Has anyone had positive feedback on any lighter chaps?

Thanks in advance.

All the best, 

Smithy

Edited by smiiithy
Terrible grammar

5 minutes ago, ips said:

ya need treggings matey . Short over trousers of modern man made material that should withstand thorns and stuff

Aha! They look just the job, thank you ips. 

Did you mean something like this? 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wax-Chaps-Leggings-Over-Trousers-Treggings-Hunting-Fishing-Beating-Farming-Size-/252927550105&ved=0ahUKEwjVpff4na3XAhUJC8AKHXNECIUQjjgIJjAA&usg=AOvVaw13SFyHyrsuktvPlyxVvoTH

yep, like the ones on the right. Mine are some sort of gortex type stuff thorns bramble barbed wire just slide off. They are Imo better than the individual leg type as they have a bottom so you can sit down on wet stuff. The legs are short prob calf length so don't get muddy and poppers open so you can get yet wellies or boots on easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BBR60NC/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_200_of_19?ie=UTF8&refRID=6MTH3WSSTABS9GMWWBN3

Edited by ips

6 minutes ago, smiiithy said:

Thats what I use.  I like the open fronted type on the right in that picture as you dont have a massive faff when you need a pee.

Good advice in my opinion. After years of beating I’ve tried most over trousers, and anything expensive with the tag Goretex is a waste of money if beating through heavy cover such as briers, gorse etc and negotiating barbed wire.

Once that membrane has been pricked by thorns it’s no longer waterproof.

Ive got both thick canvas and waxed over trousers for heavy cover. 

Edited by Scully
Spelling

For proper overtrousers try those made by the Wearite Clothing Company. I`ve got a pair now over 15 years old and still going strong.

For lighter weight trousers try any of the Deerhunter range with the Hi Tena panels on the leg  front. They`ve all got the waterproof membrane but with a very robust abrasion resisting panel down the front of the leg.

The best trousers for beating if your a woman is yoga pants, the other beaters will be very pleased at your choice :good:

the last few times out I’ve worn a tee shirt and shorts and heavy canvas gaters. Worked out great even in brambles and blackthorn, nettles can be a bit of a nuisance there just the right height to liven you up a bit. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...