Shooting a cross

snow white

Hi lads i was shooting driven birds the othere day when the gun on my left started shooting birds that where on my right in bettween me and the gun on my right should i have slipped my gun and gone and said somethink to him or let it go or tell the keeper.

Should i have pulled him and the keeper to one side and said somethink to them both at the same time.

You get guns like that, maybe you missed a couple and he was just showing off,  just goes to show some folk feel the need to show off. I would have passed comment at the time, probably congratulate the chap for such a good shot. And ask him if he wanted to shoot the whole day on his own as he seemed to be so flaming good. 

It's out of order poaching is bad manners.  I normally make aload comment along the lines of is he on the wrong peg if he does it again I'll have a word between drives.   

If he still does it unusual I'll turn my attention to his side and shoot a few well out infront of him that gets the point across very quickly. 

Like others have said either make a joke out if it or try to shoot a few of his (but it goes without saying make sure that doesn't compromise anyone's safety)

Ur angle will be different and sometimes there is a danger if it becomes too much of a completion to shoot them in front u could be shooting too close to beaters or stops

Always easier to type it than actually say something thou. Plus on most shoots u'll be paired with him for the rest of the day.

I have heard of shoots where the evens move up pegs and odds move down so u get different neighbours, but can/will get confusing, many guns struggle to cope with the concept of moving up 2/3 per drive and rely on following 'jim' around

7 hours ago, scotslad said:

Like others have said either make a joke out if it or try to shoot a few of his (but it goes without saying make sure that doesn't compromise anyone's safety)

Ur angle will be different and sometimes there is a danger if it becomes too much of a completion to shoot them in front u could be shooting too close to beaters or stops

Always easier to type it than actually say something thou. Plus on most shoots u'll be paired with him for the rest of the day.

I have heard of shoots where the evens move up pegs and odds move down so u get different neighbours, but can/will get confusing, many guns struggle to cope with the concept of moving up 2/3 per drive and rely on following 'jim' around

I always used to carry a cheap biro and offer people the chance to write their starting peg number on their hands to help their memory!:good:

You either seethe for the rest of the day or you say something when this sort of thing happens.

Years ago I was drawn no. 8 for the first drive. No. 7 on my right was at the other side of a Cotswold stone wall - a clear dividing line between us. Almost the first bird out was on my left and before I could shoot at it he fired across me at the bird. It put me off my stride completely. This happened again on that drive.

At the end of the drive I walked up to him and said that he was completely out of order firing at birds on my left. Instead of addressing the issue he walked off. He did it again later that morning and from then on I did something I had never done before and I know have never done since I shot all of the birds heading towards him before he could mount on them. I remember it clearly as it went against all of my principles. Even now I cringe at the thought. The other bloke has probably been doing the same thing regardless ever since.

With the same syndicate, this problem don't happen that often as most of the guns know each other and know within reason what they can get away with .

On sold days its a bit different as you don't know most of the guns who are shooting , with me looking after the teams needs throughout the day and taking them from drive to drive , directing them to there pegs and keeping a eye on gun safety , within reason , I can normally pick out the poachers after a couple of drives , my main concern is always how safe a gun is and if he / she is a danger to any member of the days shoot , if a gun is taking the next door neighbours birds I would have a friendly word with him and 9 times out of 10 it is down to inexperience and my offer to stand with him on a couple of drives normally does the trick . if it is more serious I let the head keeper sort it out , although having said that , I cant remember the last time the keeper had to intervene .   

11 hours ago, JDog said:

You either seethe for the rest of the day or you say something when this sort of thing happens.

Years ago I was drawn no. 8 for the first drive. No. 7 on my right was at the other side of a Cotswold stone wall - a clear dividing line between us. Almost the first bird out was on my left and before I could shoot at it he fired across me at the bird. It put me off my stride completely. This happened again on that drive.

At the end of the drive I walked up to him and said that he was completely out of order firing at birds on my left. Instead of addressing the issue he walked off. He did it again later that morning and from then on I did something I had never done before and I know have never done since I shot all of the birds heading towards him before he could mount on them. I remember it clearly as it went against all of my principles. Even now I cringe at the thought. The other bloke has probably been doing the same thing regardless ever since.

None of us like doing but in last resort it does work.  

I was talking to a long term shooting friend he and I used shoot together taking 2 let pegs as often as we could afford.  He reminded me of a shoot where a poacher had bought a peg he poached all morning even the shoot captain tried explain his errors.  His reply at 11s "I've paid to shoot and shoot I will there's no such thing as poaching on a let day" 

everyone was ****** off ruined the day really but we all decided to return the favour  the shoot captain help pegged him as a back gun for the rest of the day.  We all shoot better knowing it would stop him getting shooting.   

I have shot on countless driven shoots, either as a syndicate member, or a guest at a corporate day (or similar), I have never had this happen to me.

Its possibly more prevalent at make up individual shoots.

If it did happen, I would speak to the Shoot Captain, or the Keeper at the end of the drive.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:36, Jason_ox said:

In my book that’s not on. Only if it’s a mate that you can have a bit of a laugh with is it acceptable but to do it to a stranger is just disrespectful. I’d of pulled him up on it, if the keeper was there or not. 

I don't participate in driven shoots, but Jason's right. If you let it go on it will only get worse, or at best continue. As mentioned, a sarcastic comment about swapping pegs if he wants your birds would be a start. 

On 11/8/2017 at 09:41, Dougy said:

You get guns like that, maybe you missed a couple and he was just showing off,  just goes to show some folk feel the need to show off. I would have passed comment at the time, probably congratulate the chap for such a good shot. And ask him if he wanted to shoot the whole day on his own as he seemed to be so flaming good. 

thats unlike you dougy :whistling: but you make me laugh :lol:

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:44, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Had it done to me years ago, dropped the next bird at his feet and he didn't do it again!

I was on a team of guns shooting partridges and my host warned me that the old boy next to me was a 'bird poacher'.  On the first drive he dropped two partridge at my feet which were without doubt my birds. For the next two drives he didn't get a shot but had a stack of partridge laying around him.

He started moaning in the gun bus and all the other guns told him he had met someone who could teach him a lesson.  Don't believe I did as someone told me he was still at it years later.  Totally greedy and unforgiveable. 

Curling and crossing birds can be difficult to judge but many, many times I have let crossing birds go which would make better sport for my neighbour, or if there is going to be a lot of partridge tell my neighbouring gun not to hold back in case I'm reloading. It's called sportsmanship.

Had it happen on a let day on a nice estate where it’s a syndicate shoot until January then let days, when some of the other guns turned up in Camo and one in a green cowboy hat I kid you not. The keeper looked and did a double take, they looked like they just came from a pigeon hide. First drive I was out of the shooting and watching one of the cowboys was shooting anything in range no matter who’s bird it was, bloody good shot too. As we all got in the trailer to go to the next drive I casually mentioned that greedy guns wouldn’t be tolerated to my mates and worked out how many birds the day divided up for each gun, when asked how many he’d shot his face wasn’t happy when he twigged he nearly had his lot and the greedy comment was meant for him. Luckily the keeper had been watching and put him out of most of it after that. His mates were a good laugh and we had a great day.