Gaining experience

It would be easier if he were to issue your FAC with a condition on it requiring you to be mentored with it until considered safe.

That way you could buy your own .22 and be mentored when using it.

Your current problem is finding someone who will mentor you using their rifle, that is loan you a rifle to use in their presence.

I would think not too many people would be prepared to do this unless you already know them very well.

I would try ringing him and suggesting this.

I am about mentor someone with a .243, that is his own .243 on his own FAC.

What does anyone else think about this?

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Morris
words missed out

First question. Do you have adequate land which is cleared for 22RF or higher ?  If so ...second question. Do you know anyone in your shooting community who has an FAC?

If both answers are Yes then problem solved. 

If the answer is no, then your going to struggle. Obviously you need to have someone handy in your local shooting community, so you need to ask around locally.

I would be very reticent to sign off on someone I had only met a couple of times.

Believe me, the 22RF is one of the most dangerous rifle calibres in the world ..... awwww!! that insy winsy little thing could not harm anyone ...could it?

Your FLO is doing the right thing by suggesting you have someone give you advise on when and where you can safely shoot it. I hate this word 'mentoring' but it's almost 70yrs since I hunted with a 22RF for the first time.