Wildfowling explained?

Scotty1980

You meet the people in the club at their meeting place. You pay money to join. Do some id tests. Taken out by people on a marsh or some, see if you like it and you can cope on the marsh. If you are good with all this and you like it, you can go on your own on the marsh, usually you will help at out work parties/clay shoots/events, throughout the year/offseason. Then you get to go through various expensive and cheap guns, have arguments with wife/partner about going shooting/getting another dog/ buying guns, want to join more clubs and shoot more/more arguments with wife/partner about spending money/time. You then can continue doing this until you give up shooting/shooting is banned/ your life expires, that is how it would end.

Depends on the club...

I sent in an application form, they contacted my given referee and asked a few questions. Got accepted, I sent a cheque and I got sent a BASC card which says I am a member on that.

I go shoot the club ground whenever I want, I email to tell them when I take a guest and to update any info (car reg, mob number etc)

At the end of each season I email a bag return 

I send money to renew membership when asked and that's it.

No meet and greet, no tests, no work days, no bbqs etc etc

It's a small club of around 25/30  on private ground alongside a small estuary (I have met just 4 of them)

Edited by AberFowl

EXACTLY  what the guys posted :good: not to forget after a wildfowling trip sitting at night with a beer or brandy thinking about the sights and sounds of the marsh or foreshore and looking forward to the next trip and thinking 24/7 when the season ends about the 1st september Its the best shooting sport in the world so enjoy u versus Nature lol

3 hours ago, Richie10 said:

You meet the people in the club at their meeting place. You pay money to join. Do some id tests. Taken out by people on a marsh or some, see if you like it and you can cope on the marsh. If you are good with all this and you like it, you can go on your own on the marsh, usually you will help at out work parties/clay shoots/events, throughout the year/offseason. Then you get to go through various expensive and cheap guns, have arguments with wife/partner about going shooting/getting another dog/ buying guns, want to join more clubs and shoot more/more arguments with wife/partner about spending money/time. You then can continue doing this until you give up shooting/shooting is banned/ your life expires, that is how it would end.

Good post not a lot to add on the club front, other points could mention although touched on above is lack of sleep early season is worst and driving hours on hours if you venture into the north of Scotland on a regular basis.

On the trips north you will learn every hidey hole you can pull in get a bite to eat grab a half hours kip undisturbed and then resume your treck often at night in inclement weather with a snoring Labrador for company.

you start picking cars on how much room you have for gear or can it double as a bed if needs must overnight, one thing for sure if you take to this sport your life will change forever, and you will change it is just what happens once its in your blood.

10 hours ago, Scotty1980 said:

Will someone please explain what happens when you join a local club/association?

From start to finish, how does it all work?

Thanks.

Now you have got an insight on what happens when you join a club , do you intend joining a wildfowling club and take up the sport of wildfowling ? and if so , what are your expectations when you become a member ?.

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Now you have got an insight on what happens when you join a club , do you intend joining a wildfowling club and take up the sport of wildfowling ? and if so , what are your expectations when you become a member ?.

So...been Googling a few clubs and found one close to me. I have sent an email about an hour ago and waiting for a reply.

Expectations of the sport?

It sounds pretty much like what I expected it to be, but just wanted to know about how much it will cost, will someone be able to show me the ropes, is it all coastal stuff like you see on YouTube, might there be some inland shooting? Do they shoot on land they own, do they pay for shooting rights?

Just want to make some friends in the shooting world and get some shooting done. 

14 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

So...been Googling a few clubs and found one close to me. I have sent an email about an hour ago and waiting for a reply.

Expectations of the sport?

It sounds pretty much like what I expected it to be, but just wanted to know about how much it will cost, will someone be able to show me the ropes, is it all coastal stuff like you see on YouTube, might there be some inland shooting? Do they shoot on land they own, do they pay for shooting rights?

Just want to make some friends in the shooting world and get some shooting done. 

Good Luck with your application on whatever club you intend to join .

Cost of joining vary from club to club , but I would have thought in the region of £200 with a new member paying a joining fee.

Somebody will certainly show you the ropes , in our club you would have to go out with a mentor for six times , each time your card would be signed and after the sixth time if there hadn't been any problems you would then be allowed to shoot on there marshes or foreshore .

Some clubs have there own land to shoot over but most of it is rented , that is why you would have to go out with a mentor so they would be confident you are a safe gun and can be trusted by yourself , very hard to rent land and very easy to lose it .

There are a few clubs inland , although the vast majority are scattered around the coast .

I have heard where some clubs insist you have a dog , although our club advise if you haven't got a working dog , try and go with somebody who have , as with wildfowling the dog is more important than the gun , no point in shooting a duck / goose , or anything come to that if you cant retrieve it after it has been shot .

You are not living in the best county for coastal fowling , but don't let that put you off , join your nearest club and go on from there .

If you need any more information , by all means get in touch , ........ All the best     MM

Scotty marshman is right A Dog is more important than any gun Any descent club you join will insist that you go out with a experience member travelling onto a marsh or foreshore can be dangerous Once you get to know the land you will really enjoy it and you will want your own dog over time nothing better than u and your dog sitting in a hide or gutter forming  a good bond between yas  im sure as you know wildfowling will not be expensive compared to a pheasant day any ducks or geese you shoot will be well earned mate Enjoy

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:32, Scotty1980 said:

From start to finish, how does it all work?

It starts by someone taking you out as a guest in 1960.

The middle bit is full of memories, missed opportunities, red letter days, cold feet, wet feet, anticipation, disappointment, tiredness, hopefulness and excitement every year when someone phones you to say the pinks have arrived, new friends, old friends generations of faithful canine companions - thankfulness that you accepted that first invitation.

The finish - Well I am still hoping that doesn't come for many more years.

Its simple, you go out once, it infects you with a love of being out there watching learning enjoying and occasionally making a loud noise which sometimes results in something to eat.

if you are truly lucky you also find a lady who also enjoys shooting, going out early in the mud and cold or at least is willing to kick you out of bed to do it 

Edited by nic

7 hours ago, nic said:

Its simple, you go out once, it infects you with a love of being out there watching learning enjoying and occasionally making a loud noise which sometimes results in something to eat.

if you are truly lucky you also find a lady who also enjoys shooting, going out early in the mud and cold or at least is willing to kick you out of bed to do it 

I think I have a Wildgoose too ;) .