Ugh. Dog walkers

chrisjpainter

15 minutes ago, Gunman said:

At the risk of seeming anti dog , and I am not a great fan having seen a totaly unprovoked attack on an 18 month old toddler by a dog jumping out of a car , Is it not time that a proper licensing system was introduced to reduce the number of "non essential" dogs as they are a menace in the countryside as well as public parks and urbane footpaths .

Depends what you class as a none essential dog. Most dogs are well kept and under control even if not a working dog.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

At the risk of seeming anti dog , and I am not a great fan having seen a totaly unprovoked attack on an 18 month old toddler by a dog jumping out of a car , Is it not time that a proper licensing system was introduced to reduce the number of "non essential" dogs as they are a menace in the countryside as well as public parks and urbane footpaths .

No

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Yet more demand to have even more legislation imposed because something doesn't agree with someone else's idea of what should be allowed.

No sense of irony at all in making that sort of suggestion?

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Define non essential.

Be a bit careful. If you shoot a dog that is chasing sheep, in theory you have to show that there was no other course of action open to you.  That might normally be the case, of course, but you don't have an actual "right" to shoot a dog to protect livestock (not wildlife, as already pointed out) - but it is a potentially valid defence in an action is brought against you.

As for public footpaths, bear in mind there is no legal requirement to have a dog on a lead on a public right of way - no matter what livestock is about (the public has a right to pass and repass unimpeded by livestock,  parked vehicles, lines of guns, beaters, etc ) - though dogs must be "under control", and not trespassing. NFU advice about dogs on leads near livestock is simply that - it has no legal standing.

Nor are you allowed to put up any sign that might deter a member of the public from exercising their right to pass and repass along a public right of way.

Re trespassers, be v careful that you don't do anything that might be construed as threatening. You have a certificate, don't forget.  You should direct them to the nearest public right of way.

All sounds a bit loopy at times, I know. But it's the law and some trespassers know it backwards.

10 hours ago, stagboy said:

Re trespassers, be v careful that you don't do anything that might be construed as threatening. You have a certificate, don't forget.  You should direct them to the nearest public right of way.

All sounds a bit loopy at times, I know. But it's the law and some trespassers know it backwards.

Good advice. We have all been 'Lost ' at some point and not always unintentionally. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Good advice. We have all been 'Lost ' at some point and not always unintentionally. 

Agreed, it' all well and good posting on here, shoot it ect but it won' be them who face the legal minefield it involves, not to mention, if it is a chav, the possile far reaching consequences from the retribution they'd likely carry out.

On 12/11/2017 at 14:11, Danger-Mouse said:

Define non essential.

Dog kept in a house where owners are at work all day .Dogs in flats with no where to exercise other than a inner city street . dogs owned by any one as weapon for example . If a licencing system was introduced and only legitimate breeders could sell pups it would stop that Xmas gift becoming a liability's well as vastly reducing the number of abandoned and unwanted dogs .I could go on but you get the picture.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Dog kept in a house where owners are at work all day .Dogs in flats with no where to exercise other than a inner city street . dogs owned by any one as weapon for example . If a licencing system was introduced and only legitimate breeders could sell pups it would stop that Xmas gift becoming a liability's well as vastly reducing the number of abandoned and unwanted dogs .I could go on but you get the picture.

Yeah, because legislation and/or licensing has proven to be so effective.

Oh hang, if people actually followed rules there would be no crime ?

And come to think of it if mandatory licensing worked we would have no illegal drivers, no illegal firearms, nobody watching live broadcast telly without a license or of course any failure in any other example of every licensing system ever you could name ?

I read a good comment the other day that went something like 'legislation is not a solution, it is an appeal to authority to do our thinking for us'.  I thought it very apt.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2017 at 12:54, wymberley said:

Set up a trip alarm cartridge where she comes in. She won't be back.

Do you mean a shotgun cartridge? Think there would be some legal issues with that ? at least the 5+ years you would get for manafacturing a short barrelled shotgun ? love the idea tho 

1 hour ago, Jay1234 said:

Do you mean a shotgun cartridge? Think there would be some legal issues with that ? at least the 5+ years you would get for manafacturing a short barrelled shotgun ? love the idea tho 

They are blank rounds so no issue i dont think. And it is a trip alarm that you can buy, juat a pin on a spring. 

On 20/12/2017 at 10:04, 12gauge82 said:

I wouldn't, being sued for hearing damage ect is a real probability in today' world unfortunately.

But surely, in conjunction with the signs, if she wasn't trespassing quite a way from the legal footpath, she wouldn't have set the thing off - so any hearing damage is down to her?

On 20/12/2017 at 12:13, das said:

+1      

You are within the law. 'worrying or the landowner/tenant has good reason that the dog is about to worry'.

I'd also be more careful than some on here suggest, under the law you should only shoot a dog that is about to worry as a last resort if no other means are available, or you could find yourself prosecuted for criminal damage and/or trespass to goods.

I' m not saying it is never an option but more consideration is needed than just "shoot the dog" or you could find yourself in serious hot water.

Edited by 12gauge82

The trip alarms is probably the best way forward i would use a few though so if she ignored the first she would then get another bang. If you know where she lives go for a walk round her garden and tell her you’ve a  right to roam. 

Wouldnt worry about hearing loss sheshouldnt be there and her own fault. 

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

The trip alarms is probably the best way forward i would use a few though so if she ignored the first she would then get another bang. If you know where she lives go for a walk round her garden and tell her you’ve a  right to roam. 

Wouldnt worry about hearing loss sheshouldnt be there and her own fault. 

Entirely up to the op but I would think twice about the bangers, as for trespassing on her land/garden you'd be much less likely to be prosecuted for that ?