Carb overhaul

Medic1281

I’m in the middle of trying to get an old Briggs and Stratton engine going that I’ve been given. It turns over so there is hope! However it’s been left stood for years with fuel in it. The fuels has now gone to a thick tar. I’ve replaced all fuel lines and cleaned the tank out, but I now need to sort the carb. I think it’s beyond repair, but as they are very expensive to replace, was thinking about giving it a go. However it’s beyond me. Does any one on here clean and overhaul small carbs? I’m happy to pay to have it done. The carb is a genuine Briggs LMT 5-4993. 

3E57623E-1C51-4107-938E-6DF57772435F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Whitebridges said:

I bet ditchy's drooling. 

This topic is not aimed at ditchy at all! Honest!! But if he wanted to .....

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Worth paying a fiver for a can of carb cleaner.:good:

Tried that, the stuff inside is like treacle. And I can’t be sure the jets are clear, and I don’t really know what I’m doing!!

Carburetors are simple devices. What you have there is a Walbro LMT 5-4993. Use either Youtube or Google and you should find some assembly/disassembly instructions. Then do as Tightchoke advises and get a can of Carb Cleaner. Just take your time and don't lose any bits. If you can take it off, you can take it apart.

Edited by TriBsa

Thanks for the replies. It’s not precious to me but seems a waste to bin it when they are quite pricey new. Although a Chinese aftermarket one is as cheap as the rebuild kit! So I’ll go aftermarket now just to get her up and running, then I’ll see what I can do with the original. 

Having been pointed at it by someone online and used gallons of the stuff since I would drop it in bucket of Screwfix degreaser first. Maybe even twice. Then as the others have said very carefully dismantle it and blow any jets out with carb cleaner.

Having rebuilt 4 filthy carbs recently it's just nicer starting with something slightly cleaner. You can do the rest on the dining room table then :innocent:

Beware Chinese copies. I run a small classic VW garage and the copy carbs are abismal, very unreliable, we won't work on them. One even melted the paint inside the float bowl with our higher ethanol percentage fuel, ( 10 - 12 percent now) begs the question, why paint the thing in the first place. They are built to a price not quality. 

29 minutes ago, Kev1gun said:

As others have said just find someone with a Ultrasonic cleaner or buy one Maplins do a 3 litre model which i have  and i have saved loads of carbs, just strip off the float bowl and bung it in for 30 mins on hot, comes out like brand new.:good:

Can I justify more gadgets that I’m not likely to use again?! What else can these be used for?