Buying surplus cartridges WARNING.

Red-dot

Surplus cartridges seem to sell for good money but my mate just bulged his SBS AYA with a cartridge from a mixed job lot bought  from a shooting forum. Said cartridge may have been empty and wad stuck in the choke resulting in a badly bulged tube causing the gun to be scrapped but luckily no injury.

I had a few dodgy imperial trap carts when the first batch were sold. Some went bang with more that they should others were pop and a barrel check required for wad some had primers that had fell out in the box. I stopped shooting them others had no problems with later batches of them. 

Got to be careful and check after each shot. 

What cartridge was it and where from ?

Edited by figgy

I’m not sure it’s only specific to ‘job lots’ . I have experienced an empty but primed case from a box of Gamebore Blue Diamond some years ago. The odd sounding pop of just a primer detonating caused me to inspect the barrel, and there sure enough was a stuck wad in the choke constriction.

Any doubts regarding odd sounding detonations should be inspected.

Surplus cartridges are just fine  if you strip and reload them using the components, testing any loads you work up.

They were scrapped for a reason to simply whack them in the gun and used them is running on the raggy edge and very stupid, Only misfires i have ever encountered have all been factory ammo i have never had a single misfire on my reloads.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure it’s only specific to ‘job lots’ . I have experienced an empty but primed case from a box of Gamebore Blue Diamond some years ago. The odd sounding pop of just a primer detonating caused me to inspect the barrel, and there sure enough was a stuck wad in the choke constriction.

I have had that happen, but not sure now what 'make/model' of cartridge.  It was many years ago.  I had to use a rod to push the wadding out.

Age of cartridge is not an issue as long as its been reasonably stored but buying cartridges of unknown pedigree is a hell of a risk.

Last week I found a couple of old Eley VIP, green case,  heads halfway down the case,  32gr 7s.    Popped one in the bottom barrel with my usual VIP 30gr of 5s as a back up in the top.   The VIp 7s wacked the first bird of the day down at 40 yards and curling away with no issues at all.     I have not used 7s other than an odd one I find laying around in my store for at least 25 years.

A

I had that happen to me with Hull Superfast last year, Hull CompX (after many, MANY thousands) and once on a shoot with Hull Imperial game (which was quite a problem, as I missed the rest of the drive).

Not saying it doesn't happen to other brand obviously, its just that I mostly shoot Hull stuff so if has to happen, it'll happen with these. 

In the case of the Superfast, they were worried enough that they asked me to return the whole 1000 i had just bough and replaced it...

Rule is, if it doesn't go pop properly, be very paranoid!