Yet another national amnesty

kaunda

14 hours ago, Me matt said:

What for?

Please let it be psychotic ex wifes this time....... 

And what's - " 13th inst" ?????    

:lol: :lol:

Don't know what  its for or what force come to that. However here's the answer to your 'inst' question' 

"abbreviation for instante mense, meaning a date of the current month, such as "the 5th inst."" So the 13th inst would be the 13th of this month (Nov).

14 hours ago, Me matt said:

What for?

Please let it be psychotic ex wifes this time....... 

And what's - " 13th inst" ????? 

24 minutes ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Don't know what  its for or what force come to that. However here's the answer to your 'inst' question' 

"abbreviation for instante mense, meaning a date of the current month, such as "the 5th inst."" So the 13th inst would be the 13th of this month (Nov).

Every day is a learning day! Eh, Matt?

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Matt one of the few things I remember from my letter writing lessons during English. Mainly cos the the teacher was a violent psycho who did not like mistakes made by schoolboys. Don't think the twit (sic) liked schoolboys either. 

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yeah - learning pointless **** becuse if he'd put - 13th Nov no one would of worked it out ? 

8 hours ago, Sha Bu Le said:

I've read it somewhere before.... maybe in a letter written by my pompous brief during my divorce settlement... he was full of pointless abbrviations ?

And no doubt the day after the amnesty the media will show a box full of old broken airguns and decrepit old antiques, together with a few repro's.............and the police will boast about how they have taken all of these "WEAPONS" off the streets, thus making the world a safer place for us all to live in.:friends:

Edited by Graham M
spelling

Saw a clip of this on the BBC this morning. Possibly archive footage, but it showed a display of a couple of antique pistols ( one of which looked like a decorative copy wall hanger) an air rifle and a close up of what was obviously a starting pistol.

On the front cover of a Colin Greenwood book I have is a photograph of the partial results of an armistice in the 1960’s. Amongst the usual single barrelled shotguns and antique air rifles is an impressive collection of service handguns, mills bombs, and the block of a .30 cal Browning machine gun from an aircraft.

Subsequent armistices, a semi automatic centre fire rifle ban, and a handgun ban have all had absolutely no effect on the rise of armed crime nor the use of handguns in crime. 

No doubt some chief officer of police will trot out his usual politico propaganda about how these armistices are making the country a safer place, despite much evidence to the contrary.

Still, as long as they’re happy. ?

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

And now West Midlands Police have launched their own amnesty after yet another gang shooting. No doubt a few concerned people will rush off down to their local nick to hand in an old air rifle or a war souvenir that their granddad brought home, but as for the black gangs members who are doing all these murders.......................nah I don't think any of those will be handing in their guns.

Time for 'Amnesty Bingo' once the pictures from this one come out.  Highlights will no doubt include:

• Majority of items on table= old air rifles. *Bonus points for mankier specimens and models renowned for their low power 
  • Dan Wesson air pistols (Shiny revolver type)
  • Nice British-made shotgun that deserves better than destruction
  • Rusty bolt action .410 or Rook/Rabbit gun *Bonus points if bolt is missing
  • Webley 
  • Luger 
  • Something antique/obsolete covered by Section 58
  • (Replica) AK47 

Feel free to add any classics that I've left out. My personal favourite from a weapons amnesty was a meat thermometer... 

I'm not against giving people the opportunity to hand this stuff in, but the Police really should acknowledge what is and isn't actually illegal to own. Selling on through RFD's and deactivation etc would be a better approach where applicable. Money to be made and history to be preserved. A total number of items surrendered is meaningless if it includes old starter pistols and bb guns on the same level as a sawn-off... 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

? I’ll see if I can dig out a copy of a letter I sent to HO ministers  some years ago ( and the reply ) about a long list of what a chief officer of wherever declared to be ‘firearms’ handed in during one of these amnesties. If I can find it I’ll post it here.

A pointless exercise - assuming that HO ministers could read that is - I admire your optimism though

5 hours ago, walshie said:

Why do they have start and finish dates on these amnesties? 

"Oh I wanted to hand in my sawn-off but the closing date was yesterday, so I'll keep it."

Exactly,it would be open ended if it seriously worked but it `ll drag in the usual heap of airguns & replicas and little else....non of it from the hands of criminals!

I'm puzzled by all the negative replies. Some firearms handed in are real viable firearms with ammo. The more illegal guns off the street, the less chance they have of getting into the hands of ****s! And being used in crimes. Right? Even if 1 in several hundred are kept out of ****s hands and prevent illegal use, and prevent another shooting has got to be positive for us. Surely? Whenever the mostly ignorant public hear of shootings, they put us in the same bracket. As in we are at risk of our guns being stolen and used in crime. And we shouldn't be allowed to own them..The result being, WE, then get bad press, and are demonized by even more ignorant members of the public. They then ask, and mostly get there wish to have OUR rights to own guns, even more restrictive! I've seen, handled and mauled over guns deposited in the so called "Amnesty" bins, and what an amazing eye opening experience it was. Albeit, this was 10+ years ago. I had chance to handle a perfect looking viable Luger P08, in it's holster, with belt, and x2 magazines in their holsters on a belt. All looked very original, and an amazing piece of history. I tried to get it sorted to be deactivated, and put in our towns museum, along with other WW2 type equipment. But it was clearly too much trouble for the lazy Pricks! So it was destroyed. I was gutted to say the least.  Just to add that lots of different calibers of ammo were also handed in. Hence my opinion that an Amnesty is not a bad thing.... Just 1 persons opinion.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

? I’ll see if I can dig out a copy of a letter I sent to HO ministers  some years ago ( and the reply ) about a long list of what a chief officer of wherever declared to be ‘firearms’ handed in during one of these amnesties. If I can find it I’ll post it here.

This just posted on Essex Police Twitter.

https://ibb.co/nM5QOG

Doesn't state specific guns but does list figures for air weapons and replicas.

Question - if you had old gun on a ticket that you wanted disposing of would they take it? For example, old sloppy sxs and dispose of for free ? 

If so then these legitimately owned and surrendered guns would also appear in the figures. 

13 minutes ago, Me matt said:

This just posted on Essex Police Twitter.

https://ibb.co/nM5QOG

Doesn't state specific guns but does list figures for air weapons and replicas.

Question - if you had old gun on a ticket that you wanted disposing of would they take it? For example, old sloppy sxs and dispose of for free ? 

If so then these legitimately owned and surrendered guns would also appear in the figures. 

If legally held guns are deposited and used for publicity and a cheap way of disposal, then that does not surprise me in the least. There were so my statistic "massagers" in our force it was a joke!!

36 minutes ago, Me matt said:

Yes; everything which even resembles a firearm is counted and listed as a firearm then catalogued as part of statistics.

Also, any, and I mean ANY, incident police attend as a ‘firearms’ incident, or simply reported that a witness saw a firearm ( even if  that ’ firearm’ is subsequently discovered to be a biro ) is reported as a firearms incident. It is these statistics on which HO ministers and politicians base evidence when pushing their policies.

Neat eh! ?