Yet another national amnesty

kaunda

35 minutes ago, walshie said:

I don't think legally owned and surrendered guns would appear in the figures. You'd want paperwork to show your firearms team why you didn't have the gun any more. Surely there's no paperwork with an anonymous amnesty.

According to the news no one surrendering a firearm would face prosecution or questioning unless it transpires that that firearm has been used as part of a crime, so I’m assuming it’s not anonymous. 

I cant see anyone knowingly surrendering a firearm that has been used thus. Seems a bit of a farce to me. 

Also, I noticed the blurb in the Essex twitter link from above, states firearms  ‘seized’ rather than ‘surrendered’. It would appear Essex has serious problems. 

This is all well and good, but the problem where I live is actually finding a Police Station that's open for business to accept any weapons for handing in, they're all closed up around these parts, mainly due for demolition as they've been sold off to Property Developers to build yet more Apartments.

Happy days indeed for the ever growing numbers of thugs and villains frequenting our streets and neighbourhoods.:yahoo:

Cat.

Totally spot on Mr Cat ,Ashby nick =office block.Colville nick converting to a Block of flats ,Swadlincote station is a station used by officers BUT closed to the public.You want somewhere to hand "weapons" in hope you got a car or bus pass .About time HMG and the Police admitted they dont know how many illegal pistols and shotguns are in "unlicensed "hands being brought in through our open borders and unpatrolled coastline .

Still it looks like theyre trying on paper if nothing else

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes; everything which even resembles a firearm is counted and listed as a firearm then catalogued as part of statistics.

Also, any, and I mean ANY, incident police attend as a ‘firearms’ incident, or simply reported that a witness saw a firearm ( even if  that ’ firearm’ is subsequently discovered to be a biro ) is reported as a firearms incident. It is these statistics on which HO ministers and politicians base evidence when pushing their policies.

Neat eh! ?

Yup, glue guns, mastic guns, silicone guns, nail guns.....the list is endless. Once it has the word "GUN" in the title it is added to their statistics as a "gun crime"

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/ak-47-assault-rifle-handed-771963

Headline: 'Deadly AK-47  Assault Rifle Handed in.....' 

Article Intro: "A deadly assault rifle was the first item handed in to a police station running a gun amnesty, with shocked officers posting a picture on social media."

Reality: "Luckily, the AK-47 in question had been deactivated - but that didn't stop Sgt Hughes from taking extra care when handling the potentially deadly weapon."

Simply replace the word 'deadly' with 'deactivated' and  some of it reads ok :lol:

Edit- "Potentially deadly"... If dropped on unprotected toes 

Edited by HW95J

On 11/13/2017 at 19:59, Scully said:

Yes; everything which even resembles a firearm is counted and listed as a firearm then catalogued as part of statistics.

Also, any, and I mean ANY, incident police attend as a ‘firearms’ incident, or simply reported that a witness saw a firearm ( even if  that ’ firearm’ is subsequently discovered to be a biro ) is reported as a firearms incident. It is these statistics on which HO ministers and politicians base evidence when pushing their policies.

Neat eh! ?

Although i don't see why gun amnesty is a bad thing, i appreciate the figure massaging. We used to have reports on the "screen" of robberies, (more like a street mugging really) We would always get the duty Detective Sergeant pop his head in the office and blatantly say, I expect that to turn into a "Theft and and Assault". Or it makes their detection rate look ****,  as a lot went undetected due to poor detail given.. I would deliberately put it in as a Robbery, if it was. He would be bouncing off the walls! I hated people who massaged the figures. Bloody Politicians! Excrement always falls....

On 13/11/2017 at 10:16, Scully said:

Saw a clip of this on the BBC this morning. Possibly archive footage, but it showed a display of a couple of antique pistols ( one of which looked like a decorative copy wall hanger) an air rifle and a close up of what was obviously a starting pistol.

On the front cover of a Colin Greenwood book I have is a photograph of the partial results of an armistice in the 1960’s. Amongst the usual single barrelled shotguns and antique air rifles is an impressive collection of service handguns, mills bombs, and the block of a .30 cal Browning machine gun from an aircraft.

Subsequent armistices, a semi automatic centre fire rifle ban, and a handgun ban have all had absolutely no effect on the rise of armed crime nor the use of handguns in crime. 

No doubt some chief officer of police will trot out his usual politico propaganda about how these armistices are making the country a safer place, despite much evidence to the contrary.

Still, as long as they’re happy. ?

Well said once again, I can only but sincerely agree Scully

On 13/11/2017 at 17:19, jam1e said:

I'm puzzled by all the negative replies. Some firearms handed in are real viable firearms with ammo. The more illegal guns off the street, the less chance they have of getting into the hands of ****s! And being used in crimes. Right? Even if 1 in several hundred are kept out of ****s hands and prevent illegal use, and prevent another shooting has got to be positive for us. Surely? Whenever the mostly ignorant public hear of shootings, they put us in the same bracket. As in we are at risk of our guns being stolen and used in crime. And we shouldn't be allowed to own them..The result being, WE, then get bad press, and are demonized by even more ignorant members of the public. They then ask, and mostly get there wish to have OUR rights to own guns, even more restrictive! I've seen, handled and mauled over guns deposited in the so called "Amnesty" bins, and what an amazing eye opening experience it was. Albeit, this was 10+ years ago. I had chance to handle a perfect looking viable Luger P08, in it's holster, with belt, and x2 magazines in their holsters on a belt. All looked very original, and an amazing piece of history. I tried to get it sorted to be deactivated, and put in our towns museum, along with other WW2 type equipment. But it was clearly too much trouble for the lazy Pricks! So it was destroyed. I was gutted to say the least.  Just to add that lots of different calibers of ammo were also handed in. Hence my opinion that an Amnesty is not a bad thing.... Just 1 persons opinion.

And Father Christmas will be along soon too  !

I can’t find the letter I sent ( as mentioned; nor the reply. But did find others! ) but did find the notes I used to  compile it.

It was based on a HO Statistical Bulletin headed ‘ Homicide, Fireams Offences and Intimate Violence’ for 2008/2009.

My letter was dated 21.1.2010.

I used amongst others, Table 2a / page 41 and my notes are as follows:

’ shows 619 offences involving shotguns and 4,275 offences involving handguns. There is no distinction made between legally or illegally held handguns, but as handguns were banned in 1997, can we assume that these guns were held illegally, or does the HO include air pistols and BB’s to suit their agenda?

Page 50 shows that 238 of the 619 offences allegedly committed with shotguns involved sawn off shotguns, and therefore we can safely assume these were not on anybodies certificate, but equally, are we to assume that simply because the remainder were not sawn off, that they were fully working and held legally? 

There are also 3,350 cases of ‘unknown weapons’; unidentified and therefore there is nothing to verify that they are in fact firearms, working or otherwise.

Then you include 1511 ‘imitation firearms’ , 761 ‘ other ‘ firearm offences, which leaves us with a possible 381 ‘ unmodified shotguns’ and 89 rifles that could only POSSIBLY have been used by certificate holders......from a total of what you have amassed as 14,250! ‘ 

The above serves no other purpose than to indicate how the HO typically processes such information as typically processed and supplied to them by the police.

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

Does it say if they are fully functioning firearms or de-acts?

ive just had a look on Devon and Cornwall police fb page and there is a photo of a Webley which looks very corroded and unsafe to fire, a Brocock air pistol and an air rifle. 

Both handguns have simply been described as revolvers. 

Sceptical? Moi? ?

• 2 weeks later...