Aurora Borealis tonight

loriusgarrulus

8 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Thanks for letting us know , I will have a look but I would have thought we are to far south, although with the sky and sun turning a weird shade of Red a few weeks ago there is nothing to say it couldn't now turn Green .

The elusive aurora !

Unless when you get the alerts, its a clear sky, and you are away from other light sources (the moon, street lights ect) you have little chance of seeing aurora in this country (far north of Scotland excepted)

If you do , it will be a bit of a wishy washy affair.

If you happen to be half way up a mountain in the middle of no where, with no moon and clear skies at 2 am, you may stand a chance, if the alert pays off with a show.

Looking out your bedroom window at 9pm in the middle of a city, probably not !

Edited by Rewulf

5 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Well that was a non event. Not a flicker.

For this you should be glad.

Seeing the Aurora as low as the UK latitudes means there is either a weakening of the Earths magnetic field, or stronger incoming particle streams from the Sun.

WE DO NOT WANT EITHER!  Believe me.  The Earths Magnetic Field is weak enough as it is.

A Carrington Event right now would most likely send us back to the Stone age, and in very short shrift.

Be careful what you wish for.

RS

Ice core samples have determined that the Carrington Event was twice as big as any other solar storm in the last 500 years. What would be the impact of a similar storm today? According to a 2008 report from the National Academy of Sciences, it could cause “extensive social and economic disruptions” due to its impact on power grids, satellite communications and GPS systems. The potential price tag? Between $1 trillion and $2 trillion.

Not exactly back to the stone age, although sometimes, I think that might not be a bad thing !

Plus, we have had several CME related Phenomena this century, one in 2008, which, a little like the millennium 'virus, or bug' caused little damage, despite the doom mongers!

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The elusive aurora !

Unless when you get the alerts, its a clear sky, and you are away from other light sources (the moon, street lights ect) you have little chance of seeing aurora in this country (far north of Scotland excepted)

If you do , it will be a bit of a wishy washy affair.

If you happen to be half way up a mountain in the middle of no where, with no moon and clear skies at 2 am, you may stand a chance, if the alert pays off with a show.

Looking out your bedroom window at 9pm in the middle of a city, probably not !

In the early 90's on a February evening I stepped out of my front door in, St Ives Cambridgeshire, at 9.30pm to go to town. Although there was a large clear meadow in front of me this was on the other side of a well lit street with the bright lights of the town to my right.

As I went down the steps to the street I saw a glow on the Northern horizon then a great swathe of light that I can only describe as being like a great red chiffon scarf rose up from the horizon and waved in the sky for several minutes before fading.

I had spent quite a bit of time in Norway so I knew it was an aurora but I was surprised to see it that far south. It was reported on local news the following day that many people had seen it.

All I'm saying is, it's worth trying to look wherever you are because they can be seen in far from perfect conditions.

1 hour ago, KFC said:

All I'm saying is, it's worth trying to look wherever you are because they can be seen in far from perfect conditions.

Agreed, but what you have described is a pretty rare situation, but Ive heard many more stories like it.

Ive never seen it in this country, and Ive been out looking quite often, but many people have seen it (often quite faint) when they werent looking for it.

Luck of the draw :yes:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Agreed, but what you have described is a pretty rare situation, but Ive heard many more stories like it.

Ive never seen it in this country, and Ive been out looking quite often, but many people have seen it (often quite faint) when they werent looking for it.

Luck of the draw :yes:

Yes, I must admit I've only ever seen it that once in this country:yes:

26 minutes ago, Jonty said:

You're obviously sceptical, I was simply passing on a shot a friend took of the aurora.  We have big clear starry skies with little light pollution up here. 

Not at all , nothing wrong with using a phone or cameras editing software to make a picture look better, I would think every pro photographer does it ?

Its a beautiful picture, thats the important thing.

Funnily enough, the part of the dales I live in has just applied for dark skies certification due to the lack of light pollution.  I went to an inaugural meeting of a new potential astronomy & astrophotography club the other night so hopefully I'll be getting some more advice and tips on getting some decent shots of the night skies and hopefully the aurora