Steel no4 / full choke

Have a read of Tom Roster to blow up a gun barrel. 

Remington asked him to keep Putting bigger and bigger loads through a gun until it blew the barrel apart. Makes interesting reading.  Putting any ready made steel carts through any decent condition gun would not faze me at all. The pressure isn’t the problem. Only thing that will happen in time is the choke will get stretched swaged out to around a constriction less than it started out. 

Forcing cones can be more of an issue than chokes. I know a chap who severely damaged his thumb when the barrel split at fore-end, after extensive testing, it was No 3 Steel it was established that the shot and been in a perfectly horizontal line entering the forcing cone. As steel does not malform when squeezed together in this way the weakest point was the barrel wall. Again the investigation revealed that you were more likely to win the lottery 3 times in a week than ever happening again. Compensation for the injury is still being fought between cartridge manufacturer and gun manufacturer so I can't mention either. The chap has just been able to start shooting again after almost a year.

here is another story I was told last week, a gentleman had eaten duck the evening before a hospital appointment. 

His appointment was for an MRI scan, during the scan the man screamed with pain as a piece of steel shot was ripped from his lower abdomen, he was rushed to theatre where he had to undergo emergency bowel surgery to repair the wound which was described as a shot wound but in reverse.

Something for us all to consider when eating any shot game or wildfowl.

They ask you a series of questions before an MRI. If there is a possibility that you may have some metal in you from piercings or medical implants joints screws or injury, and any bits that have entered your eyes through accidents at work etc as the mri can cause them to move around. 

Why he would chance eating any steel shot then not saying anything. 

Edited by figgy

I'm not sure Figgy I was hearing the story on a shoot day last week, as it was a friend of one of the guns. I'm sure it will appear in the shooting press with a fuller story.

I suppose so many possibilities if he was in a restaurant, had just taken or bought duck from a shoot/butchers. 

Must admit I'd never thought about it before and I have been in for many MRI scans!