Airgun scope on a centerfire?

Pointy Hat

I was wondering if you could get away with putting a cheaper airgun scope on a center fire like a .308. I've heard you can and that some people have put a cheap Tasco or Nikko Stirling on their center fire with no problems at all. Sorry, but I just don't see the point of spending hundreds on a scope if it's not necessary. Thoughts on this and can anyone recommend some good center fire scopes on a budget?

Gonna be honest I've not had a centerfire for 5+ years. All I can remember was my HD was about £70-80 and in all fairness excellent for what I needed and the kahles 600 new. I'm guessing that on ****bay you could get one second hand for 150+ now. 

Remember it's not the target that needs to be crystal it's the potental backstop. Go further than you think if that makes sense 

If a scope can withstand the jolt of an air rifle, I'm sure it will be OK with the push of a .308. The only problem you will have is with the parallax of the scope which will probably be set-up for 50yds. You may have to unscrew the objective lens and wind it out a couple of turns.

Edited by Graham M

Never had one of these overpriced scopes on my rifles, had a Leupold on my 458 Win Mag and that fell to pieces, to be fair Leupold sent a new one by return.  All of present scopes are Hawke and have been ever since Deben stopped selling the Jap Tascos through which I shot hundreds of stuff here, Europe, USA, New Zealand. Unless you are mounting it on a hard kicking/recoiling rifle and the 308Win doesn't come into that category, then I believe they would do the job. 

However, there is 'cheap' and 'reasonable'.  Hawke I don't consider to be cheap, but are solid scopes and reasonably priced.

I still have an original Tasco mounted on my wildcat .257 and things keep falling over.

For sentimental reason I have an old Tasco 6-24x40 from circa 1988 fitted to a .222

Was a present from my folks and I have made sure it’s fitted to something ever since, still holds zero and has its range of adjustments.

Clarity might be lacking but does the job, as has been stated- if it could survive a ‘dieselling’ HW35 from back then, I’m sure it will survive other centrefires 

Edited by Jaymo

There are many types of cheap scope

Good ones and Chocolate ones

Nikko Stirling from the 60s-early 80s are built like tanks

I ran an 8x50 on my 300wm when a Schmidt and Bender Klassik failed - worked faultlessly

tasco, bushnell, Nikko, all had solid japanese optics and many had brass turret mechanisms back when stuff was made to a design not a price.

newer stuff and especially the 80-90s chinese made but branded Nokko, Bushnell, tasco etc is usually chocolate.......

only one way to find out!

that said you can buy a solid CF capable fixed mag of serious quality for less than some of the newer Nikko/hawke etc tacticool multifunction turretted/IR/Mildot plastic fantastic scopes 

the glass is better in the used german scopes too