Getting weight on a dog

kennett

Increase the tripe, reduce the dry feed.  Don't feed the raw and dry together, they are digested at different rates. If you only feed once a day consider feeding twice a day.  If your dog is kennelled outside they also expend more energy as the temperature drops.  When a dog is working hard they will look leaner but need more fuel for their little engines.  A dog that is overfed dry food will start to scour, so it can be counter productive. The best way to judge if you are feeding correctly is the waistline and visibility of the ribs, if they are not a heavy coated dog.  You will know your dog best and be able to judge its 'fighting weight.'

On 11/11/2017 at 22:57, Mochastorm said:

Increase the tripe, reduce the dry feed.  Don't feed the raw and dry together, they are digested at different rates. If you only feed once a day consider feeding twice a day.  If your dog is kennelled outside they also expend more energy as the temperature drops.  When a dog is working hard they will look leaner but need more fuel for their little engines.  A dog that is overfed dry food will start to scour, so it can be counter productive. The best way to judge if you are feeding correctly is the waistline and visibility of the ribs, if they are not a heavy coated dog.  You will know your dog best and be able to judge its 'fighting weight.'

This. Although I don't split the tripe from the dry, I used to but it made no notable difference and as I have always fed twice a day, feeding all the dry in one meal was causing more problems than the tripe was solving. 

11 hours ago, daveboy said:

Send him to live with my mother for 2 weeks while you go on holliday....

She told me mine likes "sausages and cheese" when I picked him up.

Brilliant, but I can top it my mother in law had our gwp a long while back while we were away, apparently she was walking three dogs and they took off after a sheep!! Ours followed the rest!! She thought it best not to tell us, I would have been glad had it just been sausages.

• 3 weeks later...

Same as anything or anyone else, more calories to put weight on, less calories to strip it off. 

Adding foods that are high in calories that the dog will easily eat is always an easy bet. 

Raw meat, ribs, tripe, fatty meat has lots of calories, sausages are very fatty cuts of meat, break a few eggs on top of his food etc. 

I see no one has mentioned and probably taken for granted but make sure ur up to date with worming.

Almost every dog is different, sometimes u can up the protein/ammount and it just runs out the other end.

I have 1 lab that is looking a bit skinnier now than I'd like him to be, but he has done a lot of days so far this season

We used to have lurchers and whippets , they always looked skinny but well muscled, we fed raw tripe only, some supplements when needed, but the main thing was exercise,  also all exercise was done 'on lead' at a brisk walk, especially to build muscle, walk it on, run it off, 

My springer also had the same feed and exercise as the lurchers, but she lived indoors as a house dog and I think the kids would feed her titbits when I wasn't around, she could work all day and never tired, but except for when she was working she was 'on lead' for most of her walks. She maintained ideal weight and muscle all her life even after 2 litters of pups , 9 in the first and 10 in her second. of all the dogs I have owned in my life ( almost 70 years ) she was the one I missed the most after she passed, she was 15 years old and still liked a day out with the gun right up till she died.