Car value.

kernel gadaffi

I'm in need of a new car, needs ro be auto/semi-auto, I've seen a very nice 1 owner 2012 Seat Ibiza TSi SE Copa 1.2 5 door with the DSG gearbox. The car has done 48K miles and has a full service history, bodywork is very very good, no dents, marks or rust, hasn't been in a prang and hasn't been written off. The price is £5,600. Is it expensive/about right/cheap?

Parkers will give you a guide on trade values for free,  sure it's not a 1.4 mate has one and really rates it as a car does high miles and it's been good. Guess it depends on what you want from a car, plenty of older cars cost more, newer ones might cost less

can someone tell me who supplies this so called cheap fuel.my brother delivers fuel to various garages and in the storage depots there are vehicles from all the big garages and the supermarkets filling from the same tank.the myth of cheap fuel goes back to the days of 2and 4 star where some garages added an octane booster to bring lower grades up.this does not happen now. It's all the same stuff,

14 hours ago, Pistol p said:

As I've mentioned in a previous post, these engines suffer from bore wash if previously run on cheap fuel. Be careful.

What do classify as ‘cheap fuel’

I only ask as when we used to be supplied at our garage the Independant Petroleum supplier and I were chatting one day and got around to asking about supplies.

His reply was “ it all comes in this instance from a Total refinery/storage depot and they then store it locally”, was then told that many of our Supermarkets etc all get their from the exactly the same source - so be it Tesco, Morrison’s or whatever else you consider is ‘cheap’ it’s entirely feasible it’s Esso/Shell/Texaco etc.

Not dismissing your statement but..............

Sorry, only just read BostonMicks reply which backs up my post

Personally I like my hangover to be supplied by Pierre Smirnoff not tesco super cheap vodka. Same goes for fuel. Whatever I say will be dismissed by the duffers but do your research and you will find that the government has passed legislation that fuel suppliers can now add up 20% ethanol to petrol or bio to diesel. Note the words "up to". Some suppliers will push that, effectively watering down your fuel, causing issues mechanically and financially to you. Do you think they would get away with that in the pub? Look, you guys keep filling up with your supermarket specials please, you're keeping some of us in jobs fixing your penny pinching cars.

Edited by Pistol p

So long as the OP doesn't mind...

Pretty certain my car's recommended fuel is BP.  I believe VW specify some fuels due to ratio of the bio element.

From this article: https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/supermarket-vs-branded-fuels/

"The standard petrol and diesel that’s sold on garage forecourts is mixture of two things:

• ‘Base’ fuel
  • An additive package

The base fuel is the same for all companies – in fact, it usually comes from the same tanks at the local fuel refinery/distribution centre. What varies is the additives package that goes into the fuel. "

I never knew this, the article is worth a read.

Edited by yod dropper

All I can add is my ranger did 25mpg come rain or shine for 3yrs, changed to gulf and shell did 28 , been running our cars on premium brand ever since and locally she'll is 1p per litre more than morrisons so about £1 more to fill up in the disco  but consistantly get 4-5 mpg more, no brainier, locally we had major issues with cars having map or maf issues all were on supermarket fuel, none of our 3 cars had any issues whatsoever as they are all on gulf or shell, I will never go back to supermarket fuel

as an aside our neighbor was a tanker driver for shell, and says it's not the same contrary to the op, 

36 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Love the pub reference- take it from me, watering down/ mixing or substitution certainly happens.

Wife and parents were in the trade

I used to work for a bloke who was always praised for how he kept his beer. The hand pulled Tetley was always crystal clear and tasted great. He did keep a very clean and tidy cellar but he also filtered back the contents of the slop trays, be it lager or bitter.

I've never worked at a pub where they substituted spirits but then again I've never worked at a free house. I'm sure it happens at some of those. Similarly I've never known spirits to be watered down but I can imagine it happening, after all the chance of being caught by weights and measures is pretty slim.

33 years a driver of cars.

NEVER used the expensive stuff, supermarts all the way, even my Lexus Soarer got the "cheap stuff".

NEVER, not once, had a fuel related repair. 

New shocks, tyres EGR, belts, lightbulbs, brake pads, discs etc etc etc, NEVER had anything more unusual.

TESCO currently giving away 10p per litre, used 3 tickets so far, 4 cars in family, all CHEAP FUEL users, NEVER had anything but wear-outable parts issues.

Super market fuel is fine.  OTHER fuel may be better, but SM fuel is not an issue,

RS

How does the fuel grade create bore wash? Bore wash is over fuelling  so cheap fuel goes through injector faster? Creates more pressure in fuel line? 

I run a fairly highly strung motor and its runs on everything from optimax to 99 and Asda 95 yet to see any difference. If it was tuned to the max it would need higher spec fuel but uk unleaded is all generally high quality you can buy higher spec fuels but basic unleaded is pretty good, other parts of the world where I think a lot of this originates from (china has fake forecourts ***) 

1 hour ago, Danger-Mouse said:

I used to work for a bloke who was always praised for how he kept his beer. The hand pulled Tetley was always crystal clear and tasted great. He did keep a very clean and tidy cellar but he also filtered back the contents of the slop trays, be it lager or bitter.

I've never worked at a pub where they substituted spirits but then again I've never worked at a free house. I'm sure it happens at some of those. Similarly I've never known spirits to be watered down but I can imagine it happening, after all the chance of being caught by weights and measures is pretty slim.

They ran theirs in the late 80’s up North where it apparently happened a lot?

wifey worked in their pub and then in the Hotel trade, now that really does have some gross stories attached

30 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

They ran theirs in the late 80’s up North where it apparently happened a lot?

wifey worked in their pub and then in the Hotel trade, now that really does have some gross stories attached

It was 1988 when I took my first bar job. I worked at a British Legion club a couple of nights a week. I certainly saw a few dodgy goings on in that place. I remember there was one customer who always drank pints of shandy. If he didn't get to the bar fast enough then inevitably the bitter part of his pint always came out of the slops tray. He knew it too but never said anything.

The other one I 'll never forget was one night I was pulling a pint for a bloke and just as the glass was more or less full a fly landed directly in it.  The stewardess who happened to be sitting right next to me never batted an eyelid and before I could even say a word, reached out and flicked the fly off the top of the froth.

I can't comment on the hotel trade because I've never worked in one but I can certainly imagine there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that would horrify customers if they knew about it. Maybe not so much now but certainly a couple of decades ago.

4 hours ago, Pistol p said:

Personally I like my hangover to be supplied by Pierre Smirnoff not tesco super cheap vodka. Same goes for fuel. Whatever I say will be dismissed by the duffers but do your research and you will find that the government has passed legislation that fuel suppliers can now add up 20% ethanol to petrol or bio to diesel. Note the words "up to". Some suppliers will push that, effectively watering down your fuel, causing issues mechanically and financially to you. Do you think they would get away with that in the pub? Look, you guys keep filling up with your supermarket specials please, you're keeping some of us in jobs fixing your penny pinching cars.

personally I like my vehicles to be looked after by competent fully qualified mechanics,(not many of these about these days)although I cant remember having any fuel related problems from any of them I currently run five all mostly filled from the local supermarket and mileage ranges from 267k down to 94k,also my david brown cropmaster that I still run for about eight hours a week to power a generator is quite happy on the cheap fuel as you call it,and that is at some 65 years of running,and never had any major works to engine,so cant be that bad.