An unusual for me, mixed bag

islandgun

A nice day with a keen NW wind saw me out in the late afternoon with my young Springer and very old Paterdale and an even older Beretta,  a clutch of lead 5's and hand loaded 5's ITX, not expecting much more than a mooch around, i set off through the dunes with the dogs at heel, a startled rabbit broke cover in front of me giving enough time to bowl it over, a good start. Crossing a fence  I moved onto the edge of the flooded meadows, changed to my reloads and positioned us all by a fence post next to one of the numerous splashes, to dark to worry about concealment, ten minutes later saw two large shapes appear through the gloom, Greylags, I waited till they were on me then pulled onto the first bird which dropped into the splash, the noise woke up two mallard which flew straight for me, one cartridge left in the chamber i poked at the second bird which was hit, lost height and glided into the darkness, I reloaded ready to give chase when two more Greylag appeared from a different direction, without time to fluff it, I was able to bring off a right and left I'm not sure who was most surprised me or the Springer. three geese down in less time time than it takes to type it, The young dog confused, forgot the instinct of years of selective breeding and was of no help. The geese safely gathered in left me with the winged Mallard, a trek across the field with both dogs hunting in the dark  resulted with one very dead drake and a young Springer redeemed. Maybe old hat to many on here but an hour of  surprises for me.   

Nothing I like better than has you put it, a mooch around , never knowing what is round the next corner , the next dyke , the next reed bed and so on .

These are the days that will stay in your memory bank islandgun , you go home happy , the dogs are happy , every thing gathered to hand , a very nice bag with the minimum amount of cartridges . well done and I hope your next red letter day is just around the next corner:good: 

DSCN9675.jpg

DSCN9669.jpg

As you asked mate (if they work ! ) a posed pic of the result and one of the area, on the right is a tidal lagoon that fills on a spring tide and empties on a neap, after 20yrs iv'e still not worked it out, we dont have many ducks considering, this is because the estuary is pure sand and broods are heavily predated by Otter, black backs, hoody crows and ravens

15 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Well done! We would appreciate a few pictures. :good: 

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

DSCN9675.jpg

DSCN9669.jpg

As you asked mate (if they work ! ) a posed pic of the result and one of the area, on the right is a tidal lagoon that fills on a spring tide and empties on a neap, after 20yrs iv'e still not worked it out, we dont have many ducks considering, this is because the estuary is pure sand and broods are heavily predated by Otter, black backs, hoody crows and ravens

Looks absolutely idyllic ! That's shooting at it's very best. Thank you very much for sharing. Lovely to see. ATB. 

cheers Whitebridges..... I love the Islands..:)

16 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

15 hours ago, Highlandladdie said:

Cracking day. Same here re: duck. Helluva problem with ravens 

Some while ago I was asked by the Township to thin out the Ravens, which I try to do, especially at lambing, licences are available from SNH and the Crofters Commission i believe