• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, sishyplops said:

CG would probably offer the best wood on a new gun in that budget

or buy a second hand 325 grade 5 or 6, or 425 

+1 although a new gun for 2k won't get nearly as nice timber as the grade 5/6 3/425. Is there any better wood on the 6 or do you just get some gold inlay on the action? I almost bought one anyway for the glorious woodwork. 

I personally think your going about this the wrong way. If it was me I would be looking for the right gun , something that i can shoot , something that puts a smile on my face when I open the cabinet , something that’s makes me want to go upstairs open the cabinet just to get it out and put it in my shoulder . Then and only when I have found a gun that ticks those boxes , I would save and have a nice stock made for it. , 

but that’s just me. 

9 minutes ago, stevo said:

I personally think your going about this the wrong way. If it was me I would be looking for the right gun , something that i can shoot , something that puts a smile on my face when I open the cabinet , something that’s makes me want to go upstairs open the cabinet just to get it out and put it in my shoulder . Then and only when I have found a gun that ticks those boxes , I would save and have a nice stock made for it. , 

but that’s just me. 

I am with stevo on this. Personally I would buy a gun that fits and you can shoot well and refinish the stock, its amazing how you can improve what looks pretty bland with some work

I did have a Browning 525 Prestige game gun that had an absolute 'Exhibition Stock'. It was too long for me as the standard 14 7/8", but I could not bring myself to get it cut so sold it to a friend who needed a further 1/2" adding to it. I did get 'visitation rights' though  !

You could just buy a gun you like or already have and get a stock and for end for it. 

Just remember the more fancy and figured the wood is the weaker and more prone to cracks it is. 

Ive seen some that look like the flames of a fire they’re that well figured and coloured. 

Some of the earlier models of the Caesar Guerini guns had very good wood, later ones seem very light with less figuring.  

1 hour ago, ips said:

I am with stevo on this. Personally I would buy a gun that fits and you can shoot well and refinish the stock, its amazing how you can improve what looks pretty bland with some work

On 11/11/2017 at 18:06, mudpatten said:

1 hour ago, ips said:

That’s because we’re both trap shooter , and that just how it’s done ?

Edited by stevo

Trap shooters don’t need a perfect fit as they pre mount and mold themselves to the gun adjusting it until it’s just the right fit and sight picture. 

They even have little stands for carts and mats for your muzzles to sit on as you fall asleep during the round :lol::lol:;)

A FITASC sporting shooter or OSK shooter doesn’t have that option and must mount and pull the trigger after clay is thrown so gun fit is paramount.

i do agree gun fit is important but any stock you buy can be made to fit you. 

1 hour ago, stevo said:

but that’s just me. 

Interesting points, to be fair. I'm not sure I'd entirely agree though, that it's safe to dismiss the stock when I'm choosing what to spend my money on. It's a large part of the gun's character. That, along with the action detail,  put a smile on my face and have me taking it out the cabinet to spend time admiring it. The stock's also going to play a massive role in the fit of it (initially at least).

Although, if what you're saying is that it's relatively cheap to get a stock make for it, then I concede (I have no experience with custom stocks etc. I thought the stock was a large part of what you pay for). Not sure what else there'd be to consider though? Interested to hear if other PW members would take this approach to choosing their next gun or whether it'd be a good starting place to look at the models already suggested for that nicer finish.

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone (regardless of the shooting discipline) would prioritise the look alone over all of the other factors. As you say, it has to tick boxes.

EDIT: Thanks for the reply by the way, mate. If I end up looking into getting a custom stock and shopping differently for my next gun it's been very helpful.

Edited by DanBettin