Nicest stock wood for my budget?

DanBettin

3 minutes ago, Red-dot said:

It is a Browning A1 totally stripped and restocked and sideplated in D5g grade in Belgium and engraved by the best craftsman in Belgium. I can sell you a matched numbered pair if you like?

20171003_152656.jpg

I am not a browning fan but that is very nice indeed ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, figgy said:

Trap shooters don’t need a perfect fit as they pre mount and mold themselves to the gun adjusting it until it’s just the right fit and sight picture. 

They even have little stands for carts and mats for your muzzles to sit on as you fall asleep during the round 

A FITASC sporting shooter or OSK shooter doesn’t have that option and must mount and pull the trigger after clay is thrown so gun fit is paramount.

i do agree gun fit is important but any stock you buy can be made to fit you. 

Wrong wrong wrong. Figgy. For fast trap OT , UTR , ABT gun fit is essential , the gun has to be shooting 100% where your looking , unlike you sporting shooters we DONT get to see where a target is going , and we have shoot our target before your have even thought about calling to see yours. Time is something we just don’t have ?

Edited by stevo

2 minutes ago, stevo said:

Wrong wrong wrong. Figgy. For fast trap OT , UTR , ABT gun fit is essential , the gun has to be shooting 100% where your looking , unlike you sporting shooters we DONT get to see where a target is going , and we have shoot our target before your have even thought about calling to see yours. Time is something we just don’t have ?

this ^

you could argue that shooting pre mounted makes one "more" aware of gun fit. As for making yourself fit a badly fitting gun...only an amateur would do that and I can assure you that you will not attain anything close to a decent score...as for boredom, nothing boring about being on last line with a 75 straight under your belt ?

This is shooting the same target over and over again hundreds of times with only is it 16 different angles for dtl and it don’t get boring :hmm: must be why nice wood or engraving is a must to give you all something to do to stay awake. :)

I did shoot a few trench targets on a sporting layout some years ago as they used some of the traps for it. They do go a fair way but not quicker than the lead shot your pushing after it. 

Now back on topic, who was the member on here used to sell various stock & forend sets a few years back. 

Edited by figgy

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

This is shooting the same target over and over again hundreds of times with only is it 16 different angles for dtl and it don’t get boring  must be why nice wood or engraving is a must to give you all something to do to stay awake. 

Genuinely want to know what else to shop for if not the fit (the stock), and the action. The barrels don't do an awful lot for me. It's an honest question, I'm looking to trade in my gun soon. My focus was on fit, quality of the stock, and detail of the action. But seems like if a new stock is an option most people (undoubtedly more experienced than men) go for then how do I shop for it?

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

This is shooting the same target over and over again hundreds of times with only is it 16 different angles for dtl and it don’t get boring  must be why nice wood or engraving is a must to give you all something to do to stay awake. 

I did shoot a few trench targets on a sporting layout some years ago as they used some of the traps for it. They do go a fair way but not quicker than the lead shot your pushing after it. 

Now back on topic, who was the member on here used to sell various stock & forend sets a few years back. 

Haha put your big boy pants on Kirky and come to Beverley.  I’ll even buy ya dinner ?. 

21 minutes ago, ips said:

DTL I accept can get boring once you can hit them all. But OT is a different matter. Its not only perfect technique required but its a mind game.

I prefer game shooting these days but I have had 30yrs of competitive trap ?

AH, THAT explains things  !    :yahoo:

16 minutes ago, DanBettin said:

Genuinely want to know what else to shop for if not the fit (the stock), and the action. The barrels don't do an awful lot for me. It's an honest question, I'm looking to trade in my gun soon. My focus was on fit, quality of the stock, and detail of the action. But seems like if a new stock is an option most people (undoubtedly more experienced than men) go for then how do I shop for it?

Have a look at Guntrader in the 'Equipment' section, then Shotgun parts, there is a double advert on there for new gunstocks , made to measure. Pick your own wood.

14 minutes ago, stevo said:

Haha put your big boy pants on Kirky and come to Beverley.  I’ll even buy ya dinner ?. 

It was at Beverley that they used the trench traps under the green house. Like the way they paint the concrete green or used green Baise to hide the trench. 

Stevo in the new year when I get some time I will gladly come to Beverley and shoot a few rounds of clays with you :good::friends:

Just now, Westley said:

Have a look at Guntrader in the 'Equipment' section, then Shotgun parts, there is a double advert on there for new gunstocks , made to measure. Pick your own wood.

Nice one mate, will at least get me used to what wood's what. Wouldn't mind some info on how they grade it too. But I'm writing this prior to a quick google of it, so I'm sure the answer's not hard to find.

Thanks again

Dan you have to go for a gun you firstly like the look of, no good getting a pig ugly gun if you don’t like it no matter how good it may or may not shoot if you don’t like it you will always covet a nice looker. 

Barrel length is important for how it will handle and point for you but barrel weighting and stock weighting can alter this for you. Action engraving is purely personal tastes, the action profile is another matter of what you like, the browning under bolt taller action or the shallower profile of the beretta type action . The stock fit can be altered to fit you so as long as the woodwork isn’t miles out on the fit and you like it, buy it and get the gun fitted to you.

Edited by figgy

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

It was at Beverley that they used the trench traps under the green house. Like the way they paint the concrete green or used green Baise to hide the trench. 

Stevo in the new year when I get some time I will gladly come to Beverley and shoot a few rounds of clays with you :good::friends:

That would be bang on Kirk , be a great day mate and a good laugh I’m sure. I doubt we would be alone as there are a few on here that use Beverley ?

21 minutes ago, DanBettin said:

Nice one mate, will at least get me used to what wood's what. Wouldn't mind some info on how they grade it too. But I'm writing this prior to a quick google of it, so I'm sure the answer's not hard to find.

Thanks again

Under 'Gun parts', sorry !

Saw something of similar quality to Red Dots guns at the Horne clay shoot last weekend, a real doubletake gun it was getting alot of attention from the guys I was shooting with. Outstanding class, I'd rather have that on a wall than a painting. 

Edited by Mr.C
Forgot to quote

Unless you find a rare gun or a bargain, have the skills to refurbish a poor gun to add value to it. 

I don’t think guns are a good investment no matter the make.  It’s a way of enjoying your money while it’s tied up in it. 

Edited by figgy