We will remember them..

walshie

Thank you.

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives
Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.
Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

A friend said that she works with 27 other people in a unit and only three had poppies on yesterday or even recognised the importance of the day and the hour.

With your permission Walshie I will print that off for future use. Wish we had it yesterday as a remembrance meeting was held in our small village where poems were read and old soldiers related some stories and my wife sang God Save the Queen at the end. That poem would have fitted in very well.  Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A friend said that she works with 27 other people in a unit and only three had poppies on yesterday or even recognised the importance of the day and the hour.

With your permission Walshie I will print that off for future use. Wish we had it yesterday as a remembrance meeting was held in our small village where poems were read and old soldiers related some stories and my wife sang God Save the Queen at the end. That poem would have fitted in very well.  Thank you.

Please do. :good:

It was written by a Canadian, Lawrence Vaincourt but is pertinent the world over. "Just a Common Soldier."

Edited by walshie

We'll I'm happy to say my daughter who is 6 has been coming home every day from school this week telling me why we wear poppies, the soldiers played football on Christmas day and lots of other buts and pieces which have lead to lots if other questions, we went to a monument yesterday and the remembrance parade today un Leyland which I'm happy to say had a great turn out.

very apt as well walshie.

Very touching truth ,politicians cause wars but ordinary man has to fight them.Our grandkids have had similar lessons at school so know the reason behind the poppy which is a good thing.

A lot of "modern" people refuse to wear the poppy but dont realise they only have that choice because of the sacrifice of our fathers and grandfathers before them,those idiots need to visit  Chelsea Hospital and listen to real men about the horror of war.

5 minutes ago, clakk said:

Very touching truth ,politicians cause wars but ordinary man has to fight them.Our grandkids have had similar lessons at school so know the reason behind the poppy which is a good thing.

A lot of "modern" people refuse to wear the poppy but dont realise they only have that choice because of the sacrifice of our fathers and grandfathers before them,those idiots need to visit  Chelsea Hospital and listen to real men about the horror of war.

Spot on. :good:

35 minutes ago, clakk said:

Sad thing is you don’t even need to go to Chelsea hospital, there’s a generation of soldiers under 40 year old that have experienced those horrors.

I think it’s fantastic the tradition and support we have for veterans in this country I just hope it continues to grow.

I was in London on Thursday and it was sad to see the lack of people wearing poppies in our capital.

1 hour ago, clakk said:

I don’t know who ‘modern’ people are, but have you asked those you describe as ‘idiots’, just why they choose not to wear a poppy?

Its always interesting to hear another’s point of view, even if we don’t agree with it. 

Was nice to see old and the young at Spennymoor and District clay pigeon club that the whole ground came to a standstill for 15 minutes when a whistle was blown.  There were sirens much like the rise and fall air raid from I assume the local quarries. 

Two minutes reflection and thought every year isn’t much to ask to pay respects to the brave men and women who served. 

Great at prom you posted walshie. 

Very nice to read and moving too.

My 8 year old grandson who is in the cubs, marched to our local Cenotaph on Sunday in heavy rain. He was wearing his paternal great, great grandfather's 2nd WW medals and his paternal great, great, great grandfather's 1st WW medal. Unfortunately I was working so couldn't attend, but he stood there proud (and very wet!)

34 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Very nice to read and moving too.

My 8 year old grandson who is in the cubs, marched to our local Cenotaph on Sunday in heavy rain. He was wearing his paternal great, great grandfather's 2nd WW medals and his paternal great, great, great grandfather's 1st WW medal. Unfortunately I was working so couldn't attend, but he stood there proud (and very wet!)

Well done that lad. :good: