Shooting with glasses,

redial

I have recently had an eye test and the optician advised glasses for driving and watching TV. He also said they may be useful when watching live sport.

I haven't used them for shooting as yet, the obvious is to try them, my shooting is not what it was.

I remember the option saying the glasses are good for twenty to thirty yards.

Anyone else in a similar position ?

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Get a pair of snooker glasses - these will allow a tip for when your head is on the stock.

Yep, same boat.

I have a pair of "aviator" glasses which do the same as above. Re the proper snooker ones, best go for the fixed version. I got some which allow the lenses to pivot and discovered that on occasion one side would do so unnoticed (accidentally knocked) which causes problems. As these might end up as dedicated shooting glasses, plastic lenses make sense.

Two years ago I noticed that my distant vision was not what it once was and road sign where just a little fuzzy at the edges. I went for an eye test and explained that I had also regained my ability to read news print with out nor x2 reading specs.  The optician had a set of glasses prepared for me and these sharpen everything up from a few yards to infinity. For a few days driven shooting I knew they where there but seeing the birds much clearer. Now I wear them for shooting and driving and sitting in ambush. Had to slightly

adjust my scopes but that was easy.  Don't wear them, all the time because I think it's good to make your eye muscles work. I only use reading specs now for seriously detailed work ...tying size 18 flies etc.

I chose the largest lens frames available and now they feel just natural and I don't notice them when shooting ...errr??  only sometimes if it is raining  ..need wipers fitted.  

Don't go varifocal i Tried a pair and my shooting went from pretty good (skeet AV 23, dtl 22 locals clubs x2 AA class) to utter rubbish , missed everything unless was straight at target , dropped to near B class (local clubs) couldn't hit a cows *** with a banjo as we say in Norfolk , went to bifocal and normal service resumed, always bridesmaid at one club and win most at the other , I fond varifocal would bend the target coming in, so I would mount the gun above where the actual bird was then have to find it and chase it, never tried upside down style, but as my browning has a real low comb I can get down on it and still see a good site picture 

I used to shoot in glasses and contact lenses but now need varifocal glasses. First time i tried 'em my shooting was even worse than usual.

Had to change my perscription for contact lenses to +5 in each eye. Spot on ! :) Trouble is i can't see ****** all close up with contact lenses. So i bought a pair of 1.5 reading glasses so i can see what i'm doing when stuffing the gun. Works good though, it's a help when you can actually see the target properly. :lol:

Edited by Whitebridges

i wear varifocals and tried a set for clay shooting in but did suffer until I found out varifocals don't have the prescription across the whole lens just a bit in front of the eye so nothing down either side, which is ample for everyday vision but you loose out on peripheral vision. After speaking to my optician the last inserts I got were pure vision lens and ok I cant read close up but im shooting clays that I can see

I have been wearing distance glasses for just under 30 years. I have the snooker type, with tilting lenses. Once adjusted, I have epoxied them into position, so that I look through the centre of the lens. Vision Express - 2 pairs for around £80. Got the clear, yellow and dark sunglasses types.

My normal wear for glasses is bi-focul. They are quite narrow lenses.  When shooting I found I had got into the habit of looking over the rim of the glasses at the target before looking through the glasses to take the shot. This caused many misses. Went to Specsavers and bought a really cheap pair of very large frames fitted with my prescription lenses and then tinted yellow (2 coats of tint). The result is much greater clarity and their size prevents me looking over the rims. I'm still having my (reduced) share of misses but at least I can't blame the glasses !!

On 15/11/2017 at 15:25, Gordon R said:

I have been wearing distance glasses for just under 30 years. I have the snooker type, with tilting lenses. Once adjusted, I have epoxied them into position, so that I look through the centre of the lens. Vision Express - 2 pairs for around £80. Got the clear, yellow and dark sunglasses types.

Thanks for posting. I thought about that but as I can still use my old ones I put the new ones to one side. Problem is though the opticians can no longer get the lenses when necessary (hence getting the new). You prompted me to have a go. had run out of epoxy so used acrylic and it worked a treat.

Wow this is well interesting. I'm struggling with contact lenses, no good for anything over about 20 yards and the sports varifocals I bought, although loads better, still don't fully work. Never used bifocals so may ask my optician about pure vision lenses. Did not know about the varifocals only having the prescription just in the middle. Very useful info. Also the best excuse for all my missed birds ?

15 hours ago, getthegat said:

Oh! Why the yellow tint?

It make things appear brighter in low light conditions.

I wear a pair of Wiley X Saber shooting glasses with prescription inserts and I think the reason I get on so well with my high rib guerini is the very head up shooting position means I'm not looking over the lenses. (or that's the excuse I use when shooting anything else).

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the little old shop near me and got 2 pairs of glasses re-lensed. One pair single vision for close reading etc and one pair distance single vision. Far far superior vision than contact lenses and better than varifocals, both were a touch of vanity and trying to get one set to cover all operations. Biggest problem now is that I've lost my main excuse for how many missed birds got away ?

• 2 weeks later...

This eye thing is driving me up the wall. I adjust my scope so everything is nice and clear, the crosshair is really sharp. Then I put on my Starlight Archer NV and I can hardy see the reticle. I've tried winding the adjustment in/out on both the scope and the add on but I just can't get both sharp at the same time. I've had to compromise so that both are usable but not ideal. It's close up I wear glasses for and have been thinking about fixing a reading lens on the eye piece of the Archer. Will it work? Has anyone tried it?