Vague movie quote help

The Mighty Prawn

Hi gang, so whilst tiling with my brother in law we were passing the time doing movie quotes and I remembered a scene but can't remember what it's from so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help...

it's from a political film or to show and the main character has been associated with a bad guy and his advisor tells him it's better to acknowledge knowing him than to deny it and look fake. In the course of the advice he tells him "if they ask if he's your friend say no, he's your best friend"

sorry so vague, I'm sure it's a well known film but my addled brain can't recall and Google is no help at all

13 minutes ago, flyshooter said:

Harrison ford to John Moffat, Clear and present danger ? 

yup clear and present danger...............harrison ford talking in a meeting to the scumbag drug dealing president....presidents mate had just been killed on a fancy boat smuggling drugs in from s/america....meeting is about how to handle the press............

Analyst Jack Ryan (played by Harrison Ford) suggested just the opposite. “If they ask if you were friends,” he counseled, “say, ‘No, he was a good friend.’ If they ask if he was a good friend, say ‘We were lifelong friends.’ It would give them no place to go. Nothing to report. No story.”

23 minutes ago, flyshooter said:

Harrison ford to John Moffat, Clear and present danger ? 

Good call. :good:

"Well, actually, yes. I would go in the other direction. If a reporter asked if you and Hardin were friends, I'd say "good friends". If they asked if you were good friends, I'd say"lifelong friends". Give them no place to go, nothing to report. No story. I mean, it's no sense in defusing a bomb after it's already gone off . . ."