Musto Whisper vs Harkila Pro Hunter vs Percussion Rambouillet II

Lloyd90

I have two dedicated shooting Jackets at present, a Jack Pyke camo which is coming up 10 years old, has a broken zip and doesn't breath (like wearing a black bag under your clothes if you seen the sweat after a long day walked up shooting! The second is a Bronte tweed jacket, its a little bit too big and also it does not breath. I wore it on Saturday and once again was soaked underneath after several hours of walking boggy ground up and down hills. 

Now I want to replace the Jack Pyke (The Bronte will be lovely when sat or stood about in the freezing cold). This jacket needs to be lightweightish, waterproof and BREATHABLE!! 

One of the other gents has a Percussion (I think it's the Rambouillet II) and he was bone dry underneath, said it didn't make him sweat at all.

After extensive google's of Pigeon Watch recommendations I have also seen the following two jackets held with high regard, so choices are: 

Harkila Pro Hunter X - £489 

Musto Whisper Jacket - £450 

Percussion Rambouillet II - £120 

Now I wouldn't normally even look at something with the cost of the first two, but Xmas is coming and my family may all chip in rather than have a gift off each of them I wouldn't really use. 

At this price the jacket needs to LAST! Be breathable, and be used for walked up rough shooting, stalking, lamping etc 

Any recommendations on the following would be appreciated 

I was just shopping for a new coat and ended up spending a fortune on a Schoffel one. Tried a couple of Mustos and Harkilla jackets in the shop and thought the Schoffel was by far the best cut and made. The Musto was like wearing a crisp packet it crunched so much when you moved your arms. The Harkilla was riddled with pointless pockets and daft designs, though it appeared well made.

I have a Laksen which I was given some years ago. I think the former owner was embarrassed to wear it as it’s in camo’. 

Fabulous jacket. It is goretex; very soft and quiet but it needs to be very very cold before it’s worn as it is a very very warm jacket. Can’t ever remember being wet inside though. 

I have got two Musto jackets , one light weight for the warmer months and one a bit heavier I wear on most of our shooting days in the Winter , both are water and windproof and have got removable hoods , both are good jackets but I have got an old Le Chameau shooting jacket which quite honestly knocks spots of the Musto ones .

I have had it from new for well over 10 years and have now seen better days , now it is used mainly for wildfowling and pigeon shooting during the colder months , it had keep weather out where no one would be daft enough to be out in and kept me dry and warm throughout it also have a hood , hand warming pockets and large zipped poachers pockets at the back , all in all , it had been an excellent coat and don't owe me a penny .

15 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Have that lives at work comfortable warm dry like it except cartridge pockets are a little small it's as good as my musto s but costless 

15 hours ago, Scully said:

I have a Laksen which I was given some years ago. I think the former owner was embarrassed to wear it as it’s in camo’. 

Fabulous jacket. It is goretex; very soft and quiet but it needs to be very very cold before it’s worn as it is a very very warm jacket. Can’t ever remember being wet inside though. 

Cheers fellas I'll have to make the effort and find one to try on, I have a sportchief in cam, its great until it really poors down as the water seems to find its way in through the pockets , the wetlands version had better flaps on the pockets but I didn't get that one.

On 12/11/2017 at 18:48, Lloyd90 said:

I have two dedicated shooting Jackets at present, a Jack Pyke camo which is coming up 10 years old, has a broken zip and doesn't breath (like wearing a black bag under your clothes if you seen the sweat after a long day walked up shooting! The second is a Bronte tweed jacket, its a little bit too big and also it does not breath. I wore it on Saturday and once again was soaked underneath after several hours of walking boggy ground up and down hills. 

Now I want to replace the Jack Pyke (The Bronte will be lovely when sat or stood about in the freezing cold). This jacket needs to be lightweightish, waterproof and BREATHABLE!! 

One of the other gents has a Percussion (I think it's the Rambouillet II) and he was bone dry underneath, said it didn't make him sweat at all.

After extensive google's of Pigeon Watch recommendations I have also seen the following two jackets held with high regard, so choices are: 

Harkila Pro Hunter X - £489 

Musto Whisper Jacket - £450 

Percussion Rambouillet II - £120 

Now I wouldn't normally even look at something with the cost of the first two, but Xmas is coming and my family may all chip in rather than have a gift off each of them I wouldn't really use. 

At this price the jacket needs to LAST! Be breathable, and be used for walked up rough shooting, stalking, lamping etc 

Any recommendations on the following would be appreciated 

The Rambouillet. I have one and can honestly say that they are absolutely brilliant. Breathable,  waterproof, very warm, lots of pockets. Only downside maybe a little on the heavy side.