VW TOUAREG 2003 R5 TDI POWER LOSS

wingnut

Hi Guys, I am hoping some one could give me a heads up as to what is possibly wrong with my Touareg 2.5 R5 TDI, Travelling to Newark on the A46 this morning the car suffered a total power loss to the engine accompanied by a small amount of grey smoke from the exhaust, after pulling in to a lay by i contacted the AA who attended pretty quickly, after an initial inspection the guy quickly found a problem -- the air pipe from the air box to the turbo was hanging off - and there appeared to a large amount of oil in the pipe and Turbo housing, after cleaning and reinstalling it and starting the engine up it sounded like it was only running on 4 out of the 5 cylinders, he was surprised to find no error codes on the system, he couldn't perform a compression test at the side of the road, but believes that it could be

1) a cylinder has lost compression and gasses are pressurising the crank casing forcing oil through the breather system into the air box

2) An injector has stopped working

3) Faulty wiring loom due to oil contamination

5 weeks ago the car went in for a main service, 2 days after the service the car had to have a new turbo fitted as it lost all power and wouldn't run at all, for the next few weeks everything seemed to be ok apart from the engine smoking on start up which i was told was due to oil in the exhaust from the previous turbo failure, the smoke stopped once the engine reached normal running temperature, then 1 week ago the rocker cover gasket split and sprayed engine oil all over the engine bay, gearbox, exhaust and all 4 of the brakes and the car had to be returned to the garage.

The vehicle has done 141,000 miles and is serviced every 3 months by the same garage

Has any one else had this type of issue with TOUAREGS, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Andy

TBH- a 2003 vehicle with a 141,000 will naturally develope faults and components  (like a rocker cover gasket) will start to fail. Just because a garage has had it every three months means very little for internals and gaskets. 

Whilst you hear of many VW's doing 250,000 miles + there are also many that will never achieve that and are constant trouble. 

19 hours ago, wingnut said:

5 weeks ago the car went in for a main service, 2 days after the service the car had to have a new turbo fitted as it lost all power and wouldn't run at all, for the next few weeks everything seemed to be ok apart from the engine smoking on start up which i was told was due to oil in the exhaust from the previous turbo failure, the smoke stopped once the engine reached normal running temperature

I have never dealt with VWs but this would be my port of call, heard plenty of stories of turbos being replaced and issues caused by the original failure. Also if it was oil in the exhaust then it would carry on smoking regardless what the engine temperature was at as the exhaust gases will always be the same temperature (ish). Sounds to me like the garage have not done the job properly in the first place with the turbo replacement.

The Saga continues, the garage have done a computer diagnostic check on the car, no error codes have shown up, the mechanic has removed the rocker cover to see if there are any obvious problems such as defective injector seals, sheared injector retaining post bolts etc, nothing found there, he then proceeded to carry out a compression test and the 1st 4 cylinders were registering as Ok and within a few % of each other but the 5th cylinder has absolutely Zero compression, they are taking the head of tomorrow to actually see what the actual damage is.

Gut feeling is that its terminal, This will be the 1st time in 40 years of bikes and cars that i have ever suffered an engine failure ---- GUTTED to say the least

33 minutes ago, wingnut said:

The Saga continues, the garage have done a computer diagnostic check on the car, no error codes have shown up, the mechanic has removed the rocker cover to see if there are any obvious problems such as defective injector seals, sheared injector retaining post bolts etc, nothing found there, he then proceeded to carry out a compression test and the 1st 4 cylinders were registering as Ok and within a few % of each other but the 5th cylinder has absolutely Zero compression, they are taking the head of tomorrow to actually see what the actual damage is.

Gut feeling is that its terminal, This will be the 1st time in 40 years of bikes and cars that i have ever suffered an engine failure ---- GUTTED to say the least

Yeah- your first engine failure is the one you'll never forget, it gets easier though lol. 

Ive done about 12 now, bikes mainly and some machinery, after 3 or 4  it doesnt even register ? 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

aahhhh dont get all fussed its proberly just a valve stuck open...if it was your piston there would be oil all over the place pressurising your crankcase...

couple of new valves....rubbed in 2 springs maybe.....head gasket ...jobs a gooden...:good:

When i lifted the bonnet there was oil sprayed all the engine, apparently there was a decent quantity  of engine oil in the air box and it had also pushed it through the intake pipe to the Turbo, when the AA chap  arrived there was a fairly decent puddle under the car - but no where near the amount when the rocker cover gasket blew :sick:

28 minutes ago, wingnut said:

When i lifted the bonnet there was oil sprayed all the engine, apparently there was a decent quantity  of engine oil in the air box and it had also pushed it through the intake pipe to the Turbo, when the AA chap  arrived there was a fairly decent puddle under the car - but no where near the amount when the rocker cover gasket blew :sick:

ohh dear piston has gone then...pressureising the crankcase and blowing oil up the galleries into the rocker box and every where else.....let us know the out come....

Just been to the garage to view the damage to the Touareg engine, its not pretty, No 5 cylinder (back one) was the offending item and the engine has been written off, basically the mechanic seems to think that the injector failed catastrophically and flooded the cylinder with diesel, this has caused the piston to disintegrate taking out the crown of the piston , also causing the piston to crack down the side, all the bore is badly scored, and there are bits of piston and what seems to be the plasma coating from the bores welded to the valve and cylinder head surface.

Technically it is beyond economical repair, and at this moment in time I cant even get a recon engine as they want a serviceable one in exchange.

Not sure what do next, look for a different car and scrap this one ,  find a panel damaged Touareg and swap the good bits over, or pour more money in to this one and get the engine replaced from an accident damaged one and get it running again.

Decisions, decisions.

Ps If i can work out how to put pics up i will add them later

:/

20171116_163236.jpg

Edited by wingnut

3 minutes ago, Me matt said:

Looks like your glow glug actually melted.... maybe it was that caused the failure.

The glow plug is still intact, but it has been bent back slightly - it still measures the same length as the other ones, its just covered up with bits of melted metal.

:unhappy:

Have you tried any motor dismantlers they may have one .or try to find out which other vehicle has the same engine 

they will not make one engine to fit the one range 

is the touran engine the same. It was like the rover 75 2lt diesel was the same as the bmw 120 you could get parts from rover and bmw 

its worth a try you only need a short engine and use the rest off the old one that you need 

it has the vw code bac engine .i believe the same version is fitted in the transporter 2004 year 

Edited by Guest

After a lot of thought, I have decided not to go ahead with any form of rebuild , or replacement engine, The Touareg is off to a breakers yard who have offered a decent price for it, I have had to go out and get a replacement car today as i need one for the work that i do, and as i will be travelling up to an extra  4hours a day when we move house in a few weeks time i have decided to give up on 4 x 4 's and have purchased a nice low mileage  BMW 730 d, one owner, full BMW fsh,  and it worked out a lot less money than it would cost to refurbish the R5, shame really as i really enjoyed the 18 months with the Touareg.