puch maxi tuning,anyone done it.

Albert 888

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one,looks well,has 20cc on mine with a kit on, from standard, I'm feeling a little upset now, I also want some wider tyres, but that means more grinding and welding.  Oh the joys. Currently trying to work out if I need cdi hpi ignition with a curve. Want and need are two different things.

6 minutes ago, Albert 888 said:

Nice one,looks well,has 20cc on mine with a kit on, from standard, I'm feeling a little upset now, I also want some wider tyres, but that means more grinding and welding.  Oh the joys. Currently trying to work out if I need cdi hpi ignition with a curve. Want and need are two different things.

Your Mrs doesn't know that :D

I have been watching this thread with interest. It's great to see these old peds given a new lease of life. 

This is our C90 race bike:whistling:

So far it has survived two 5 hour off road endurance races, now we are all set for next year's championship. 

NIFTY FIFTY CHALLENGE

IMG-20170715-WA0008.jpg

15 minutes ago, akka said:

I have been watching this thread with interest. It's great to see these old peds given a new lease of life. 

This is our C90 race bike

So far it has survived two 5 hour off road endurance races, now we are all set for next year's championship. 

NIFTY FIFTY CHALLENGE

IMG-20170715-WA0008.jpg

That's the way to do it, Good luck,these Chinese pit bike things made of cheese wouldn't last as long as your Honda. 

Edited by Albert 888

It's pretty bomb proof. The only major damage was a tooth sheared from second gear, other than that she's not missed a beat! She holds up to the punishment better than us riders do, one of us is still limping, the last race was September. :)

Good luck with the rest of your build. 

OK more fiddling today, I managed to drop the forks by 50mm,stage one was to remove 4 washers each side that set the preload, that dropped it by 20mm,so once I worked it out, I cut 30mm off the threaded spring guide -preload adjuster,this dropped the forks by 50mm altogether. The picture is the 20mm drop.

Now I can lower the fork tubes in the clamps to a reasonable hight.

Still more fine tuning with the fork Set up but I will do that when my tyres are sorted. 

Put some flat bars on just to mock the position up.

IMG-20171204-WA0001.jpg

E50 timing 70cc,race crank,mildly ported-case matched,b8 plug,17.5 dellortro copy carb with the standard jets it came with, air screw 1.5 turns out,Idle screw spring cut to get more Idle,40:1 mix.
It rides well apart from bogging a little low down,40-45mph on the flat I'm 6ft1" and 13st stock gearing 16 45 I think.
16-17bdtc timed points at 015", I wanted them at 16-18, I have dremeled my stator slots as far as physicaly possible. So I'm at my max without advancing my timing. Plug comes out wet and black the white part is dark brown so I guessing I'm running rich,no temp gauge so I'ts mere guess work with my hand,I can put it on the fins but not for long,its definitely 200+.

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0449.jpg

It's rich..... you need to run it at WOT for half a mile or so, then kill the engine and check the plug. if it's rich you'll need to go down on the main jet, go down a bit at a time, rich is safer than lean, but you'll be losing power by running too rich. If it's fine at WOT but rich everywhere else, lift the circlip on the needle one notch (to lower the needle slightly) this will lean it out everywhere else apart from idle.. but that's not important.

make sure your timing is spot on first.  If your timing it at the factory standard setting you shouldn't have to open up the adjustment ? or does the kit require something non-standard ?

Mat

Changed my mix to 50:1 now it's had some running in, factory is 17tdc 16-17 tho points gap. Put the kit on strobed it and I was up at 27bdtc,hence the dremel work on the stator . Im rich on purpose as I can lean it out and be on the safe side,What does WOT stand for please. Will have play with the jets and needle one at a time and see what happens. 

Appreciate the info. Two smoke tuning is new to me.

Ideally I want to fit a electronic 12v mini rotor hdi cdi with a curve. But still working out which is best.

10 minutes ago, Albert 888 said:

Changed my mix to 50:1 now it's had some running in, factory is 17tdc 16-17 tho points gap. Put the kit on strobed it and I was up at 27bdtc,hence the dremel work on the stator . Im rich on purpose as I can lean it out and be on the safe side,What does WOT stand for please. Will have play with the jets and needle one at a time and see what happens. 

Appreciate the info. Two smoke tuning is new to me.

Ideally I want to fit a electronic 12v mini rotor hdi cdi with a curve. But still working out which is best.

wide open throttle

As above, wide open throttle. Tune it to that as that's where you will spend most of your time :D wont matter about lower down as much. This copy carb, is it ported to match the inlet? If not, you could be loosing power off it and a good chunk too. Personally I'd put the original carb on and set that properly, needles, jets and float as the genuines will always be better than after market and they will certainly be smoother on the cast. Just my opinion 

I guess the carb is matched to the 70cc big bore kit ?

And really the most accurate way to set the timing on a stroker is to use a dti (dial test indicator) to set it up in mm BTDC, convert the degrees figure to mm using the stroke of the engine, alternatively invest in a circular calibrated timing disc, set it up correctly then punch some marks to set TDC and your required timing point.

Edited by matgriff

1 hour ago, matgriff said:

I guess the carb is matched to the 70cc big bore kit ?

And really the most accurate way to set the timing on a stroker is to use a dti (dial test indicator) to set it up in mm BTDC, convert the degrees figure to mm using the stroke of the engine, alternatively invest in a circular calibrated timing disc, set it up correctly then punch some marks to set TDC and your required timing point.

Carb and gaskets are all fully matched allowing maximum flo. Used a piston stop,I use dti's day in and out,it will still give the same result. Im happy with tdc,same every time all marked up. Im concentrating on running of it before body work and paint.