puch maxi tuning,anyone done it.

Albert 888

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Does that motor not need a bit of running in? Just wondering if it is still a little tight that is all.

Running in? on a 2 stroke?

Surely all you do is give it a blast, strip the top end, polish off the high spots on the piston with fine emery and you are good to go.

Well ................ until you get that sudden lurch as it locks up solid  :)

4 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Does that motor not need a bit of running in? Just wondering if it is still a little tight that is all.

Not much to loosen up really only a couple of bearings and to run the bore in and bed the rings. Should be good to go from scratch.

Im delving into the electronic wizardry of hpi cdi and curves at the moment. Chasing power and speed,Basically you throw your old points, stator,flywheel, coil away and fit an electronic ignition with a mini rotor,and a new cdi. This will retard and advance the ignition automatically once set up right. 

7 hours ago, Albert 888 said:

Not much to loosen up really only a couple of bearings and to run the bore in and bed the rings. Should be good to go from scratch.

Im delving into the electronic wizardry of hpi cdi and curves at the moment. Chasing power and speed,Basically you throw your old points, stator,flywheel, coil away and fit an electronic ignition with a mini rotor,and a new cdi. This will retard and advance the ignition automatically once set up right. 

Absolutely! With any bike, electronic is the way to go. Digital, even better, because you can map it to wring the last bit of power out

Woop woop,from the Netherlands, hpi,cdi mini rotor,a massive 10w lighting coil :-) (led front lights en route) clutch shims,kick-start springs for the clutch(higher rpm grab). Hopefully it will be grab and go soon,this bit of kit is a tad above the level I was going, but what the hell,you only live once. Shame about the weather, test rides won't be until roads are dry and clear.

All the grannies at the retirement home will love.

15130213052521928092713.jpg

15 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

These are the images of a Honda C90 that I found in a garage in Oropos, Greece. Lots of customisations...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They look well,hope mine will look half as good,I'm still sorting my power out,got it to a steady 45mph on the flat,waiting on a more suitable exhaust then I can try some different transmission fluid then tune my uprated clutch to the powerbond,change gear ratio, clean tank out,fit disc brakes,do some welding then paint.

IMG-20171215-WA0000.jpeg.78c8c49ed1b9f83cd444d051421ced60.jpeg

New lights,not very good,I only have 10w to play with,not getting a constant supply, I have fitted a regulator rectifier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have since but another exhaust cut it in half and removed a baffle cone, welded it back together with the mig,that was hard work,changed the rear sprocket from a 45t to a 40, fixed 3 uprated clutch springs and set to grip at higher rpm,I managed to get 48mph on the flat and 55 downhill, since that I have been playing with the jetting, popping head gaskets and pulling head studs out. Im down to 40mph on the flat and it's starving itself of fuel.

Carb is a dellortro phbg 17.5mm main jet 80 and pilot jet 40.

I have never been able to open the air screw,hence dropping from a 50 pilot jet to a 40. I can now open the air screw,doing this scavanges fuel by suction from the bowl through the pilot jet not just relying on the main jet. I need to alter the float hight now.

Also bored out my old 14mm Bing carb to 15.5mm just incase I can't tune this dellortro type one. Im currently waiting for larger jet for it.

Hopefully pictures will show below.

Screenshot_20171223-123938.png.f81e7840379d5b672d04441c478acc86.png

IMG-20171222-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20171222-WA0003.jpeg

• 1 month later...

OK,I have got to the point where anything I do isn't altering speed, I'm currently sourcing bits for a larger diameter carb- dellortro phbg 19mm, the one I have on is a phbg 17.5mm phbg copy, I have made a new intake manifold out of a bsp swept elbow to get better air flow but still no difference, the exhaust is now fully modified and sprayed with 650deg c paint, my max head temp is 370f around town around 30mph on the open road, I'm running at 310f wide open throttle , my plug chops show I'm lean at 1/3throttle 30mph, rich at full wot. I cut 12mm off the manifold end and now I have a wide powerband.  Still only 48-50mph on the flat,my cylinder needs some serious port work, and clutch needs tuning also, currently engaging at 23lb of force,my timing is at 4mm btdc should be at 1.5mm but head temps are OK and my cdi retards at higher rpm.

Screenshot_20180205-023642.png

IMG-20180131-WA0001.jpeg

It is a long time since I took a real interest in tuning and am a complete amateur, but I recall reading about the best way to tune the inlet. Popular theory was to make the inlet manifold as smooth as possible, so that petrol / air mixture could get in as quickly as possible. Latter theory suggested a roughened inlet gave better combustion, due to the swirl effect. I have seen devices which sit in the inlet to give that effect.

Not sure how the OP could achieve this effect, if indeed he wants to do so, but it is a consideration, given that he appears to have hit a brick wall.

Either way - good luck. I have really enjoyed the thread and admire the way the OP has continually tried something different.

Same, advice seems to vary over the years, at one time fitting a slightly undersized gasket was one method to achieve this, but as you say common thinking is in/out as quick as possible.

It was a whole lifetime ago, but the one thing I remember from the guy I went to college with who did this was he had a massive carb, taken from a kart if remember rightly?

One of the challenges I would imagine is this isn't exactly a well trodden path 

Only a couple of mph to go. I need to I raise and widen the ports in the cylinder, if I pointed the carb forwards it would suck water dust and allsorts off the front tyre.  The bigger carb that I'm still waiting for bits for will put me in the right direction I need to go.

Home made air blade, came in a Box of bits I bought.

1518435243753110447164.jpg

With the carb facing the way it does your effectively creating a Venturi.

That will lead to a drop in pressure in the inlet manifold which gives a decrease in density, hence your possible overly rich at the top end.

either rotate or at the least get a filter on there to disrupt the flow.

Must say, I’m no engine tuner though- just my experience of pressure and airflow.

It runs better without a filter,will try one on the 19mm one.

Im slighty rich on purpose, I don't want to cook the piston or head,also running 60:1 premix . I have 3 jets in the phb,pilot 40, choke 50, and main 80. W7 needle 3Rd clip up. Temps are good I want to be in the high 300's f,not exceeding 400f. Needles and clips arrive tomorrow, so bigger carb more air flow,bigger jet and hopefully more mph.