puch maxi tuning,anyone done it.

Albert 888

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoved the rebuilt motor in this mornings after a bit of manipulation. Carb wouldn't sit level so cut 5mm of the intake,still not perfect but it work, had to remount the coil as I need access to the backside of the carb. Test run whent great,40:1 mix for run in,it bogged a little on full throttle from nothing, will cruse at 40-45 on the flat and pull well uphill at 35. It's not run in yet so not giving it the beans. Need to sort the timing tune the carb to iron out the flat spot then tune the clutch in to the mods.

Im very happy with it as is but I can get s bit more out of it.

Next job full strip down and shot blast and paint.

I'm reliving every move, I have a 50cc Mobelette when I was at school, spent hours rubbing the head on emery paper on a mirror. To increase the compression and every tankful had a tin of model plane engine fuel added with a teaspoon of Castrol R for smell. Youthful exuberance with no idea!!!!!!

ive got two Honda 50cc step through's in the top man cave for when I get old??????  Café Racer's????

Edited by pigeon controller

Well it's still going,sorted my air screw out,statically checked my timing,18degrees btdc, points. 013 tho.

It should be 15-17 btdc and points. 016 tho. I move it to the latter and the puchstar wouldn't start,closed the points to 013tho and it's up and running again, when my timing light arrives I will do it again. Still bogging low down but that could be the clutch gripping.  Im still learning. 

Mocked a seat unit up and frame brace,just need the appropriate materials then ready for welding.

Still stuck sorting some usd forks out,pit bike ones are looking to be the best fit but not the best quality. 

The seat is comfortable in that position but doesn't look right,frame brace needs to be level and rectangular box section I think.

Cheers for all the positive replies.

DSC_0443.jpg

Edited by Albert 888

i know what you are trying to do...and it should be fun to do and use......................but my way of thinking would be to do the engine rebuild then a really good quality paint job on it chrome the wheels....it would look so smart and very usable as an everyday run a bout that would put a smile on you face and turn heads...

just my point of view...but im sure it will look puka what ever you do to it...........:good:

the more i look at this thread the more im tempted to get one....:lol:

Edited by ditchman

2 hours ago, stumfelter said:

I'm doing a Honda cub custom at the minute. Just bought a 140 engine complete, widened the forks, flared the back arch etc. I'll start a thread soon.

Great stuff, keep us updated. 

1 minute ago, Dunkield said:

Might just be me but that seat doesn't look quite right?

I thought that, I don't want it to look like a cafe racer so may ditch it for something else.

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

i know what you are trying to do...and it should be fun to do and use......................but my way of thinking would be to do the engine rebuild then a really good quality paint job on it chrome the wheels....it would look so smart and very usable as an everyday run a bout that would put a smile on you face and turn heads...

just my point of view...but im sure it will look puka what ever you do to it...........:good:

the more i look at this thread the more im tempted to get one....:lol:

Get one bought,it fun and quite easy to do.

Im going for a sporty euro look,or california look.

Whent backwards today,wouldn't run right, after stripping the carb down and changing the jets a few times I found the spark plug faulty,going to get a 7,8and 9 tomorrow and go from there.

Note to ones self check for spark first :-)

1 minute ago, Dunkield said:

A lot of the Honda Cubs I have seen have a bar stool sort of seat if you know what I mean? That might work here.

Going for a small race seat and cowl if I can find a cheap one. Could just fit a standard push bike seat.

Edited by Albert 888

On 26 November 2017 at 18:53, Albert 888 said:

Whent backwards today,wouldn't run right, after stripping the carb down and changing the jets a few times I found the spark plug faulty,going to get a 7,8and 9 tomorrow and go from there.

Note to ones self check for spark first :-)

Going for a small race seat and cowl if I can find a cheap one. Could just fit a standard push bike seat.

Do you follow Bike EXIF?, you may find a few ideas there for your project.

Did you set the timing with a dti ?  it's really the only way with an old two stroke... also get a dwell meter to set the points correctly, feeler gauges are a bit hit & miss.

If I take your comment of "went backwards today" literally, then you definitely have a timing problem.... two strokes can run backwards quite easily. Double check the timing and make sure you have the correct grade of plug. Better to start off with an NGK 9 and work down, basically if you have too cold a plug it'll just foul, but if you start with a 6 and it needs a colder one you risk melting the plug and holing the piston. And don't bother with the standard B8ES/B7ES  etc, use an EVG or EG with fine wire electrode, they're much harder to foul.

Two strokes are quite fragile, especially when you start to tune them.. be careful or you'll incur some expense :-)

Mat

I didn't run backwards :-). 

I used the piston stop method, rotate clockwise mark flywheel, then rotate anticlockwise mark flywheel,then the center of the two marks is top dead center. Need to dremel the stator plate to retard the ignition, it was 25 btdc got it to 16 btdc, but had to close the points gap to get that retarded, after a dremel hopefully I can get 15-16 btdc and open my points to 016-018 not 013. Im losing valuable hp, don't have much to play with.

8 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I have trawled all the pictures on the net and have two bikes for inspiration.  Lots to go at though thanks.

8 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Do you follow Bike EXIF?, you may find a few ideas there for your project.

No u don't but will have a look thanks.

2 minutes ago, Me matt said:

Forks and clamps look cool ? what are they off of? 

Demon x pit bike. Was looking at the derbi gpr 50 and the aprilia rs 50 ones but these seemed to fit the bill better. Just need to shorten the spring and space them out to drop them a bit then put some heavier oil in to harden the damping and shorten the travel. 

OK moving on,

All front end backtogther with appropriate spacers sealed bearings and a retro fitted drum holder,I'm going disc brake front, need to source a disk.

I managed to fit my old 6V bulb inside a 12V bulb,basically I broke a 12 V bulb removed everything drilled 3 holes through the base soldered 3 wires onto the fitting then onto my 6V bulb,it now all fits nicely inside the white enduro style light,it's temporary until I decide what I'm doing,rear light can't figure out it how it works obviously its one wire to earth then one wire is lights on and the other wire is the brake light it's not connected up right somewhere .

I took the silly seat off as I don't want it too look like a cafe racer,removed mudguards, I'm pondering over making my own or not having any.

Still need to lower my fork interals,I'm waiting for a top yoke nut and clip on bars.

Managed to dremel my stator plate again point gap now 015" gap and 17-18btdc timing. Still need to retard it a few more degrees,I want the points gap to be 17-18 fully open,I'm on full retard so seeing the tdc timing with the points gap.

IMG-20171201-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20171201-WA0005.jpg

Edited by Albert 888