Knife blanks

Dunkield

Folks I have drawn a, well you know, looking for a blank to start a knife build.

Looking back and going through my old knife bookmarks has not helped either.

Do any of you have some recommendations that maybe wouldn't immediately appear in s Google search?

I am after a thin stainless full tang blank to hopefully end with a knife like this.

17799345_789782231187898_3424728995244065980_n.jpg

I don't know the present day importation rules etc. as it is a number of years since I dealt with this company, but have a look at Jantz Supply  www.knifemaking.com in the USA

Their catalogue will blow your mind.  My catalogue has 23 pages of blades of every description. If you know of a friend travelling to the USA you might be able to do it that way.

Have a look anyway :good:as just browsing the handle material etc etc etc ....98 pages of knife making.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't know the present day importation rules etc. as it is a number of years since I dealt with this company, but have a look at Jantz Supply  www.knifemaking.com in the USA

Their catalogue will blow your mind.  My catalogue has 23 pages of blades of every description. If you know of a friend travelling to the USA you might be able to do it that way.

Have a look anyway :good:as just browsing the handle material etc etc etc ....98 pages of knife making.

I have just imported several knives from America without any problems.

2 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

Highly recommend Brisa, Theres loads of blanks on there but my favourite is the flat grind trapper, not the shape your looking for but theres loads of other blanks on there and maybe something your interested in 

http://brisa.fi/enzo/enzo-fulltang-blades.html

+1 for Brisa - I've always had very good stuff from there. You could try Kniv-Per as well: a different selection on there.

Dorset Woodland Blades sell blanks in all states of finish, from cut blanks up to fully finished blades ready for handling - they may well have something like what you are after.

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have just imported several knives from America without any problems.

Yup - blanks, components and fixed blades are easy. Folding knives less so, due to an aggressive policy at Customs - depending on who looks at your import, just about anything could be seized, including Spyderco UKPKs, which are designed to confirm to UK legislation.

Good luck, and be prepared to wave goodbye to free evenings! Knife making is addictive... :yes:

I will have a look, but it looks like their site is under construction.

Of all those I have looked at so far only the Enzo Fisher 110 comes close.

The 'problem' seems to be most folks want bush craft type profiles, mine is more akin to a slightly thicker filleting knife profile.

I need to be able to tunnel muntjac and deal with roe, I don't need to be able to chop trees down with it.

13 hours ago, bang bang birdy said:

I believe you can buy mora blanks from Springfield’s 

It works out cheaper to buy a complete Mora and then take the old handle off

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Can you still buy knives/blades on eBay? 

No, but you can buy steel blanks that you can grind/file to shape

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot to update my own topic, thanks for all the replies.

It seems I have an Enzo Fisher blade coming for Christmas which is kinda near enough, so I will get on and make that in the new year.

enzo_fisher.jpg

I was reminded I had a folder kit sat in the cupboard for a couple of years as well, so I made  as start on that last night, just needs some tidying up and it is good to go.

Not mega quality but it will be fine for legs and head duty.

IMAG4799.jpg

56 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

Sorry I forgot to update my own topic, thanks for all the replies.

It seems I have an Enzo Fisher blade coming for Christmas which is kinda near enough, so I will get on and make that in the new year.

enzo_fisher.jpg

I was reminded I had a folder kit sat in the cupboard for a couple of years as well, so I made  as start on that last night, just needs some tidying up and it is good to go.

Not mega quality but it will be fine for legs and head duty.

IMAG4799.jpg

I tried to put an image up earlier of the same metal. i made one this year. it needs sharpening as i found it to dull for my liking but when its sharp may gosh, 'It will cut'

i ground the end lanyard slot out of mine and reshaped that part. wish i knew how to put photos up as the bucket dont work and the image it to large

2017-10-10%20002_zpsmywk5qja.jpg

i can see it as i installed the photobucket hack add-on for google. not sure if anyone else can though