Ratcatcher Moleskin Trousers

wymberley

As it would appear that Barbour have messed about with their's such that I now have a choice between 'half mast' and 'Nora Batty's stockings' and as there's a sale at the moment and you can have the length to suit at a reasonable price, does anyone have any opinion on the durability of the Ratcatcher version?

Many thanks.

Agh! Have a couple of pairs which are now well worn. Never did like them - too much material - preferring the barbour cut. Same as a decent pair of cavalry twill - what happened to Lamborne? Nothing worse than putting on a clean pair, then taking the dog for a walk and coming back with mud on the inside of the bottoms because of all the material flapping about.

Less is more. :good:

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

John Norris moleskins fit like normal trousers so I can climb fences in them. A lot of mole skins are too tight round the legs. 

I have a ratcather waistcoat it’s goid quality. 

You've twigged - I've got slim bordering on skinny legs. I looked at the weskit but managed to resist the temptation.

6 minutes ago, samboy said:

Iv'e got Hoggs  M/skin trousers and Ratcatcher M/skin shirt.

Pleased with them both.

I have a molekin shirt from Cambrian Fly Fishers bought in the mid 70s. OK, not often worn but it point blank refuses to wear out. Actually, there's a clue there as I've just discovered.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Agh! Have a couple of pairs which are now well worn. Never did like them - too much material - preferring the barbour cut. Same as a decent pair of cavalry twill - what happened to Lamborne? Nothing worse than putting on a clean pair, then taking the dog for a walk and coming back with mud on the inside of the bottoms because of all the material flapping about.

Less is more. :good:

They do moleskin trousers; no excess flapping about. ?

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

They do moleskin trousers; no excess flapping about. ?

Yep, that's what I thought when I looked at the bloke stood in the doorway, but what turned up bore no resemblance. As the Ratcatcher are currently the same price or less, I've had a punt on a couple of pairs - and that weskit does look nice!

15 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, that's what I thought when I looked at the bloke stood in the doorway, but what turned up bore no resemblance. As the Ratcatcher are currently the same price or less, I've had a punt on a couple of pairs - and that weskit does look nice!

Fair enough, but I can’t praise them enough.

You may have been sent the dark green type, which are baggier than the lighter green types. 

I got a pair of the Barbour ones on sale a several years ago but I’m quite lanky so they were flapping around at half mast. I got a local tailor to unstitch and unroll the hem, taper then slightly and seal them up again which added about an inch and a half. They’re still going strong.

I used to have a £25 cheapo unbranded pair of moleskin trousers (they’ve all got that white rubberised waist band in, same as the cheap moleskin breeks) but they fit smaller than anything else and being a tough fabric had no give, so I felt like I was being cut in half.

On the subject of moleskins, does anyone know how are the John Norris moleskin breeks are, quality-wise?

Edited by Cheesefiend

8 minutes ago, yod dropper said:

I've got some Ratcatcher ones.  Heavy weight and quite slim in the leg.  The best cut for me are my 25 year old Barbour ones which I'm loathed to wear much now in case they finally give up the ghost.  I didn't like the newer Barbour ones.

Where is the sale?

I nearly jumped at the Game fair. Pleased I didn't now as I've saved a few quid. Thanks for posting about the leg, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Charles Wall. Lovat out of stock (at least my size is) but in in about a fortnight and at the sale price.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:26, wymberley said:

Hoggs do two distinct types of cut, one is the moleskin trouser (which is, I think, probably what you ordered), but they also do the moleskin jeans. Essentially the same as the trouser but a jeans type cut - not as baggy.

Telford Farm Machinery  always have in stock Moleskin Trousers £33 a pair , good hardwearing .

On another issue .

Have any of you ordered tweeds /clothing at Hatfield Country Fair from a Guy from Lancashire who was trading there?

Spoke to a lady on Friday who paid £50 deposit for a tweed waistcoat and never got anything despite numerous emails and requests for goods or money back 

She says" it doesn't matter it's only £50 "  but how many £50's  has he got ?

We had a similar incident at Midland Game Fair Weston Park , Lancashire Trader apparently has a stall in Ripon Market took money for shooting suits but never supplied.

If anyone wishes to dispose of £20 or £50 , I can supply anything to order , no guarantees mind you .

On 17/11/2017 at 20:25, wymberley said:

Yep, that's one offer I've had to take advantage of being between sizes. I ordered two pairs but one is not in stock so have to hang on a bit.

Credit where it's due.

"Are you in a hurry/"

"No"

"As we're out of stock in one colour of you size, be about 2 weeks."

That'll be about 4 then but no problem. Wrong!  2 weeks later two pairs both expertly cut and sewn to size as ordered have just arrived. Well pleased.

Nice one, Ratcatcher, well done.