House buying

Lloyd90

Well offer has been accepted on first ever house this morning. 

The sellers moved to Oz and initially rented it out but have recently had to evict the tenant and put it up for sale. 

It’s been a bit of a pain due to time differences as each offer has ended up having to wait until the next day for a reply! 

Anyways, now accepted and House off the market. 

The sellers are using the ‘in-house’ stuff with the estate agents, I imagine to avoid any hassle as they are other side of the world. 

The estate agent has asked us if we want to do the same and they are hoping to exchange before Christmas. 

Would you go with the in-House? Or is this something to be avoided? 

Many thanks 

Lloyd 

Firstly congratulations on your new home. :good:

The in house conveyancers are next to useless if my experience was anything to go by. After that I used a proper solicitor for similar money and it was all hassle-free. 

Having said that it might speed things up if you are both using the same company. 

It wont make things any cheaper or faster unless you can get a deal from them, they'll still go at a snails pace, blame the fact that the vendor is in Australia.

Shop around see what's on offer same as anything else.

And well done hopefully you will be in before Xmas, but!!!

I'm guessing you're renting at the minute? I've done this before having a month maybe 6 weeks cross over is not a bad thing, you avoid the stress of delays a weeks delay when your living elsewhere doesn't matter and you can get any messy jobs done it carpets changed while the house is empty, much easier. Also worth paying a professional company to come in and deep clean the entire place, rented property is never that clean once all the stuff is out.

congratulations Lloyd welcome to the rat race.

Whatever you do, make sure the solicitor is on the approved list from your mortgage lender (if your lender has one).

Last place we bought damned near fell through at the 11th hour when it turned out that ours wasn't.  Solicitor knew who the lender (a big one) was right from the outset and must have known his firm wasn't on the list but was prepared to take the job on anyway without saying anything about it to us.  Caused a proper mess and a load of hassle that we really didn't need.

Wasn't a question we'd thought of asking when we signed up with them so caught us completely unawares.

41 minutes ago, SxS said:

Whatever you do, make sure the solicitor is on the approved list from your mortgage lender (if your lender has one).

Last place we bought damned near fell through at the 11th hour when it turned out that ours wasn't.  Solicitor knew who the lender (a big one) was right from the outset and must have known his firm wasn't on the list but was prepared to take the job on anyway without saying anything about it to us.  Caused a proper mess and a load of hassle that we really didn't need.

Wasn't a question we'd thought of asking when we signed up with them so caught us completely unawares.

Thank you very much, I will be on the lookout for this now. 

Avoid in-house mortgage brokerage and conveyancing. There is nothing to be gained.

After over a decade of very good service from our solicitor we got conned into using an in-house firm (having subsequently spoken to the vendor, turns out that Connells spun us a pack of lies).

My my advice is to get a recommendation from someone who has done it before. There is sense in going local, but only if the reputation is good. “Our” solicitor is down in Chichester, and I have never met him! Everything has always been done very speedily by email, and we’re still kicking myself we allowed ourselves to be diddled by estate agents this time, rather than sticking with what we know.

For what it’s worth, I recommend Nick Smith at George Ide (Chichester). When I had a brief and unhappy incarnation as an estate agent, the best service came from a guy called Tim Fox in Bury St Edmunds.

LS

Edited by lord_seagrave
Added info

Congrats on the new house. It is quite common for estate agents to tell first time buyers this but its a pack of lies and only for them to get the commission from the "in-house" solicitor or mortgage brokers who are normally a separate company anyway. 

I would find a local conveyancing company close to you as being able to pop down and drop things in or sign forms can speed things up quite a lot. Also stick with smaller company where your sale is all done through one person. Our last sale was held up massively as the "in-house" solicitors the people were purchasing off used were a large company and had different people picking up the file on an almost daily basis.

They may also try pushing their mortgage advisor on you, the most they can demand is they check your affordability but the actual mortgage can be arranged by yourself or a broker of your choosing.

Best of luck, this may sound horrible but best bit of advice I was given was treat everyone like they are an idiot and out to screw you for more money.