Food banks.

Red-dot

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

"are" and  "have" two different words.....In my local  foodbank, it,s a free for all, and when a delivery comes in, you could get trampled by a throng, mainly from South East Europe....

It is a similar situation in south yorks, Staff have no hope of handling the situation, its a free for all,and for sure those who are in most need are often displaced by those who do not, Worked across the street for a good while and saw plenty of nice cars with well dressed passengers "on the grab"

Edited by Rupert

Just now, Rupert said:

It is a similar situation in south yorks, Staff have no hope of handling the situation, its a free for all,and for sure those who are in most need are often displaced by those who do not, Work across the street for a good while and saw plenty of nice cars with well dressed passengers "on the grab"

and it,s not just in South Yorkshire.....the people that these foodbanks were meant to help get pushed aside, often by "new arrivals"... (Can,t use the "i" word, might upset someone!)........

14 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

and it,s not just in South Yorkshire.....the people that these foodbanks were meant to help get pushed aside, often by "new arrivals"... (Can,t use the "i" word, might upset someone!)........

We know you can't but we know who you mean:rolleyes::rolleyes:

living where I do I would not donate anything to these banks,as said in previous posts it would just go to the migrants who from what I have seen with my own eyes are up to every scam possible,there are genuine cases of people on hard times but they don't get a look in due to the actions of the fraudsters.

Yes of course there will be the minority if people abusing the system one way or another, but don’t forget they are the minority as there are a lot of families that genuinely need some help now and again.

There are plenty of drop off points in most towns and villages where food can be left for the Foodbank staff to pick up.

Major supermarkets usually have a drop off area for food, even if you put £1.00 worth of groceries in it after your weekly shopping in the store will help.

Mum and dad both donate regularly to the food banks! I take them shopping as they have mobility issues! I am quite shocked to see how little is actually put in these baskets at supermarkets. Last time we went to Tesco They literally put 2 tins of corned beef, 4 tins of beans, 4 tins of peas, 4 tins of carrots, 4 bags of pasta, 2 rice, 6 jars of various sauces, 3 boxes of cereal, sanitary towels, toilet rolls, fruit juices, UHT milk and more! I add a few bits also but it's just the shops own brands and never more than a couple of pounds worth! But when I see how many people are reliant on the food bank service, I am shocked. A lot of media controversy recently placed on NHS staff needing food bank help?  I am not really in the best position to make assumptions, but on NMW I don't require the food bank? 

As said, some spend silly amounts of phone contracts, designer clothes and accessories, and forget to spend on the more basic needs? It seems a little silly I. Some respects. Surely a NHS member of staff on even 20 hours a week shouldn't be needing food bank assistance? I waste nothing! Even the stock from my Sunday roast makes a soup which I freeze. 

If money is short one week, I will walk to work around 3 mile. The money saved that week pays for a few meals. Some people need to simply adjust their outgoings to achieve a better alliance of In and out goings. Since getting my job on NMW I feel like I am living the life of Riley. Freezer and cupboards might be a little thinly stocked! But I never go hungry. I don't need help. And think SOME others just take because they can, and get away with it. And in the long term that denies those who genuinely need it from obtaining it. 

Like ALL systems it is open to corruption. 

But what I will say is, IF you can afford a spare tin of soup, or a box of cheap 99p cereal then PLEASE give it. And more over a pack of two toilet rolls, a tube of toothpaste, or more importantly sanitary wear for the ladies! Most people seem to think just food? But those who can't afford food, also can't afford those basic needs either. 

1 hour ago, krugerandsmith said:

Not true,  they have to be referred.

hello, so why has it been quoted on tv that even nurses are having to go to food banks, i am sure they have not been referred, it is mainly the Trussel Trust that take this way, if you read the Guardian online 22nd august 2017 you will see those not referred that have had to go to a food bank, the one local to me will give without question

3 hours ago, figgy said:

To take from food banks if you don’t need to is a shameful thing to do. To some immigrants it must seem a wonderful thing to just help yourself to free food no wonder they love to come here.

To live in a country that has a benefit system, that supports people through hard times, that supports you and can help feed your kids if you hit a big struggle is a true blessing. 

People complain about our system. I’ve been to counties and seen entire families living out of a car or sleeping on the streets. 

Its a fantastic system (in theory at least) that you would think every person would want to protect and nurture. 

Unfortunately they dont. Thousands of people are abusing that system all the time, out for themselves and everything they can get! They feel no shame and blame others for all their problems, whilst feeling everyone else should pay for them. 

There are many many great things in theory within governments and societies, but unfortunately theory and reality are often worlds apart.