Food banks.

Red-dot

14 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

It annoys me that some of the people who have to use food banks can still find money for their cigarettes.

Isn’t that true for anyone claiming any sort of suppport, who is able to have a Holiday each year, Sky tv and a mobile phone?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local food bank is referral only, either from Citizens Advice or another one whose name escapes me, it's meant as a quick stop gap, you cannot just keep turning up and get a voucher, maybe different elsewhere.

Yes people will abuse it but as said, that happens with everything,

For the main part I think it does a good job and genuinely helps the needy.

:shaun:

I haven't the faintest where the nearest one to us is but am glad there are people out there who give their time as well as donate things for the needy.

Sooooooooooooo........lemithink there's people worrying about the odd chancer who goes and grabs three quids worth of baked beans and out of date carrots :rolleyes: but dare mention the not so needy making a billion quid and then paying .005% in taxes (or none at all) and all is hunkydory coz they earned it and are clever and they employ people and they oil the wheels of industry and they .................. and we are all jealous if we complain. :whistling: 

12 hours ago, figgy said:

To take from food banks if you don’t need to is a shameful thing to do. To some immigrants it must seem a wonderful thing to just help yourself to free food no wonder they love to come here.

Careful, the race police will be here forthwith ! :lol:

Its not just foodbanks, they emptied my friends carp pond when he went away for the weekend using some sort of electrical device, neighbours challenged them, but they told them they were cleaning it out for him!

Swans are a bit of a delicacy, amongst other wild birds.

We had a muntjac living in a small brambley area behind my industrial unit a few years back, very shy and in an inaccessible area, that you had to climb to get to, how it got there Ive no idea, nearest countryside nearly 2 miles away.

Some of our eastern European friends killed it with a crossbow and dragged it to their car, when challenged they said they were hungry!

16 hours ago, Wymondley said:

It's question of priorities.

From my own casual observations it, appears having the latest phone is more important than feeding your family.

This is the sad truth. I know someone who said they were hard up... This year they have had 4 holidays one being a month in Aus, own a flat, a car, just bought sky.. But they are hard up. Most People in this country dont know what poor or hard up actually is. 

Perhaps if these places were called "Soup Kitchens" people would actually realise that we have been in recession for the last 10 years (despite what Gov. figures may say). 

In my opinion, Food Banks should not be set up at all, because they paper over the cracks.

Things are about to get a whole lot worse, but no one is going to care, until they do.  Do what you can for you and yours, a healthy stock of provisions is a good start,

Yours,

RS

54 minutes ago, henry d said:

Milk of human kindness seems to be lacking...

If that were the case they wouldnt exist would they ?

6 minutes ago, henry d said:

Nice, let people starve! way to go!

When was the last time someone 'starved ' in this country ?

I think youre totally missing the point, its about misuse.

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

Nice, let people starve! way to go!

People are NOT going to starve, that simply is not going to happen, just yet.  The problem is that the severity of the problem, the difference between the Haves and the Have-nots is being covered over. 

Just one picture in the Papers of a Malnourished UK child, would send the Gov into a tizzy, there would be real uproar and things MIGHT change.  As long as Charities, with all their good intentions, keep the problem under wraps, nothing will happen.

It is disingenuous of you to think that I want to see UK citizens starving, but the fact is they are on the edge, but we will not see the edge until we look down, and we will not look down if there are people leading us on merrily over the cliff,

RS

16 minutes ago, Red-dot said:

About 5 years ago i woke up with no money, not one penny and nothing to eat in the house... trust me it can happen.

How did you respond? 

I hope you don’t mind me saying but It would appear from your posts and some of the Shooting you do that your doing that your doing quite well now? 

plenty of school children go hungry everytime the holidays roll around, inservice days etc.

People abusing the system is not a problem as there is enough being donated or diverted from becoming waste. The cracks have been there for years and it is only groups and individuals that are seeing the huge amounts of waste who have started to change the way we work with food. Have a think about the waste we produce from buffet style restaurants and fully inclusive holidays, never mind stupid BBE dates

28 minutes ago, Red-dot said:

About 5 years ago i woke up with no money, not one penny and nothing to eat in the house... trust me it can happen.

Used to happen to me every Sunday morning.
These days I dont drink much, and do the shopping Saturday afternoon.

17 hours ago, davewh100 said:

the only food bank i donate to is local to me called paws who do a great job with dogs & cats :yes:

I used to do this until  I found out they were feeding Belgian sheepdogs, Chinese crested dogs, German shepherds, Italian greyhounds and

worst of all Afghan hounds.. :whistling:

5 hours ago, Hamster said:

I haven't the faintest where the nearest one to us is but am glad there are people out there who give their time as well as donate things for the needy.

Sooooooooooooo........lemithink there's people worrying about the odd chancer who goes and grabs three quids worth of baked beans and out of date carrots :rolleyes: but dare mention the not so needy making a billion quid and then paying .005% in taxes (or none at all) and all is hunkydory coz they earned it and are clever and they employ people and they oil the wheels of industry and they .................. and we are all jealous if we complain. :whistling: 

There should be a like button with the new forum update....:good:

3 hours ago, yod dropper said:

So does this mean you'd bow to the experience of those who have seen what goes on then? 

No not really, with great respect to everyone including the heartless few, as always the masses have been brainwashed to believe that anyone who is hard up or poor is somehow lazy and deserving of their situation. I don't doubt that there is some abuse of these food banks (da.............where in life isn't there ?), my point is that we shouldn't be overlooking the important point here, why on earth do we as a 1st world nation even have such poverty, who cares if some Essex person in a nice car grabs a box, who cares if some immigrant helps themselves to some out of date veg, the real point is that it's there and those on hard times can at least eat for crying out loud. 

Anyone who thinks nobody goes hungry in this country hasn't watched food bank documentaries. 

The moment I saw the title of this thread I knew we'd have to brace ourselves for the usual blame gang crowd who seem happier whinging about people on the lowest rungs of the ladder pinching food to feed themselves than dare stop and think for a moment why we're even having this discussion. 

42 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Anyone who thinks nobody goes hungry in this country hasn't watched food bank documentaries. 

I dont think anyone said nobody goes hungry, Im hungry right now.

They said starving, as in, havnt eaten for days/weeks, a very rare occurrence in this country.

What really grinds my gears is these 'food bank documentaries' tend to point the finger of blame at government policy, as long as its tory government policy.

Never got mentioned when labour was in, like a lot of stuff really.

Hamster

" the important point here, why on earth do we as a 1st world nation even have such poverty "

Exactly!   My point being, it is concealed, hidden in the charitable nature of our country.  I am sure most here know exactly who is to blame, it is the Banking system and the Govs cosy relationship with it.  It is NOT a left/right Tory/Labour thing, but is always made out as such.

Banks create money out of thing air;  When you borrow money (mortgage, loan etc) they create around 90% of that money there and then.  They give it to you and charge you interest on money that previously did not exist, who would not want that scam?  There are plenty of places you can verify this astounding fact, here is one:  http://www.theeventchronicle.com/finanace/bankers-admit-its-money-out-of-thin-air/#

I'm sure you can Web Search a million others.

So why poor people?  If they wanted to, the banks could simply create money and give it out.  Hell, why does the Gov not have the ability to create money, you would think it fairly important for a country wouldn't you?  Some among you will immediately know the reason - INFLATION.  Think pre-war Germany.

BUT that has not stopped the Bank of England from creating north of £400 Billion in Quantitative Easing, and giving it to the other Banks, who gave it to businesses, who paid off bad loans they had and then bought their own shares (go look at stock values/buybacks since 2008).  This money, we were told, would "trickle down" to the man in the street, it hasn't, they kept it all.

We have poor people, because the BBC and all the rest of the corrupt, paid for, Media, does not put up  a program about this.

We have poor people because they want poor people as a distraction, to fight over.

We have poor people because no one gets angry any more (poll tax riots anyone?).

We have poor people because their jobs are overseas.

We have poor people because we choose to pay £1.00 for Far Eastern plastic, that would cost £2.50 to make here.

We have poor people because a Far Easterner only needs £50 a week to not be poor.

We have poor people because we simply do not see the bad stuff as bad enough yet.

We have poor people because at the moment, they are just hungry, when they are starving, it MIGHT be different.

RS

4 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Hamster

" the important point here, why on earth do we as a 1st world nation even have such poverty "

Exactly!   My point being, it is concealed, hidden in the charitable nature of our country.  I am sure most here know exactly who is to blame, it is the Banking system and the Govs cosy relationship with it.  It is NOT a left/right Tory/Labour thing, but is always made out as such.

Banks create money out of thing air;  When you borrow money (mortgage, loan etc) they create around 90% of that money there and then.  They give it to you and charge you interest on money that previously did not exist, who would not want that scam?  There are plenty of places you can verify this astounding fact, here is one:  http://www.theeventchronicle.com/finanace/bankers-admit-its-money-out-of-thin-air/#

I'm sure you can Web Search a million others.

So why poor people?  If they wanted to, the banks could simply create money and give it out.  Hell, why does the Gov not have the ability to create money, you would think it fairly important for a country wouldn't you?  Some among you will immediately know the reason - INFLATION.  Think pre-war Germany.

BUT that has not stopped the Bank of England from creating north of £400 Billion in Quantitative Easing, and giving it to the other Banks, who gave it to businesses, who paid off bad loans they had and then bought their own shares (go look at stock values/buybacks since 2008).  This money, we were told, would "trickle down" to the man in the street, it hasn't, they kept it all.

We have poor people, because the BBC and all the rest of the corrupt, paid for, Media, does not put up  a program about this.

We have poor people because they want poor people as a distraction, to fight over.

We have poor people because no one gets angry any more (poll tax riots anyone?).

We have poor people because their jobs are overseas.

We have poor people because we choose to pay £1.00 for Far Eastern plastic, that would cost £2.50 to make here.

We have poor people because a Far Easterner only needs £50 a week to not be poor.

We have poor people because we simply do not see the bad stuff as bad enough yet.

We have poor people because at the moment, they are just hungry, when they are starving, it MIGHT be different.

RS

Your talking about fractional reserve banking, and you make it sound far simple (and much more conspire theoryesque) than it all is. 

You sound like a communist, take to the streets, storm the barricades etc. 

There are PLENTY of people who aren’t poor, who came from nothing. 

Im certainly not loaded but I’m doing alright, my Mrs has a much better job than me and for her age is doing fantastic. 

Something we’ve got in common, we’ve both worked our ***** off! 

I remember people in Uni telling me how poor or skint they were, how they weren’t given enough money off the government to live on. I told those people “those shops and restaurants up the top of the road have jobs going, they’re advertising for staff”, yet not one of them went and applied. 

They all sat in their flats complaining about the government and “the system”. 

I didn’t have any support off my parents when I returned to study - they couldn’t afford to, I didn’t complain about it, I instead had a job (for an entire year I had 2 jobs) whilst studying full time. 

We might not have the perfect system, but we have one of the best. There is opportunity out there for those who want it. 

Fractional reserve banking IS a conspiracy, it just take courage and research to see it, delve deeply enough and you'll see a US president who was assassinated for wanting to end it. 

It's not just about hunger and poor people, I personally despise the fact we have ex soldiers on the streets as well as ordinary homeless people, what exactly is it that separates us from those under developed nations we mock ? 

You give something away gratis

Some will really need it

Some will really need it but are too proud,

Some will just get something to see the week out

Some will will grab all they can just cos its free,they feel entitled,to subsidise other non essentials in there life.I liken these to "well heeled"

In plain fact we have too many people for the economy to properly support, wayward lifestyles, dimished values, transient sex lives and the result is over population.

Phones, ciggies, staffies fancy handbags etc all more inportant than food etc.

I have come up from nothing,mum on benefits, expelled from home the day after i left school and taken in by Granny, took a job as a hoddie for a building firm. Went to work for a week in my school clothes till i got a wage in for some boots, they were 12 quid. I worked late,early, weekends,bought a bike cycled to work, got a coffee jar to put my savings in. before i was 18 i put half down on a wrecked terrace house and worked on it when i had money. Four years on at 22 bought grannies too.

Told by my father i had under achieved, i long since eclipsed him

Never blown money i didnt have, wasted plenty i did have.

When i talk to folk today its incredible to me, they just see the uphill struggle as too hard, instant gratification.

I support several worthy causes,  non really mainstream but i give some back and it really boils my blood to see those not in need raping a project for those who have not, especially with the phone, handbag etc.

Benefits cheats them too

Freeloaders,

Tax evaders

and the rest. 

Edited by Rupert