Counterfeit Hearing Protection

wraivi

Just seen this info on another site, describing the abundance of counterfeit versions of the Howard  Leight Impact Sport ear defenders by Honeywell. I have had a pair for several years and notice plenty of others wearing them too. I got mine from a reputable gunshop, but recently,  on searching for a gift for my brother and looking at another pair of these, online this time, I came across this post. Just thought it was worth sharing amongst fellow members.

See link below.

https://canadianfirearmsblog.ca/identifying-counterfeit-impact-sport/

Edited by wraivi
Missing information

1) Company A decides to make their product in china to save money.

2) Company A dumps all local manufacturers because it'll save zillions.

3) China manufacturers make *excellent* products, to specification.

4) China company (or employees) makes several extra containers of said product after the 'run'

5) China company dumps the whole lot on the market.

6) Company A think it's unfair, bad, and all that jazz while they actually gave the baby away in the first place.

7) Company A realizes they wouldn't have lost as much money if ultimately they hadn't sold the production to china, after all, and used the 'local guys' after all.

Unfortunately, #7 never happens, because idiotic management will instead spend MORE money in trying to 'fight piracy' and that such, and everyone continues doing in on an on and on...

I do have a pair of (pairs of) these headphones, they work really well, not sure if mines are copies (from amazon) but they definitely do an excellent job.

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve got a copy from Amazon, they look legit and they definately work.

How would you even know they’re fake? 

I would t be worried about what Buze describes. 

I would be worried if they don’t give the proper protection and you end up damaging your hearing! 

I'm pretty sure that Buze is spot on. In many cases, they're copies and not fakes. Make a jig or mould to manufacture the contracted product and then by whatever means its use is continued. Two problems, the tools are usually the property of the original customer after all he paid for them and all tooling has a life so it's not long before the quality of the product fails.

With regard to copies as opposed to fakes, there's no need to go further afield as this is rife in the UK.

Wymberley has it ,i make car parts for a living and the tools do deteriorate over time if you make 500 parts a day for 4 years even plastic wears away at "hardened" metal .ABS is very abrasive to mild steel so those contractors offering 50 or 100 units on Ali-baba 20 or 30% cheaper than Fred,s gun shop dont care about brand name reputation or to a certain extent quality .

These are after dollar sales not long term custom and soon as the next "brand name " is popular that will get the same treatment .Just google "Top Gear "chinese cars the level of copyright infringement is massive BMW X3 for £14,000 anyone