Why do people still believe the earth is flat????

catchthepigeonmutley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/41973119/why-do-people-still-think-the-earth-is-flat

Saw this on the BBC news site.  Didn't know there are still those who believe the earth to be flat.  

My son said he heard a flat earth believer interviewed the other day say that there were ''literally hundreds of believers all over the GLOBE''.

:hmm:

They pop up on Facebook quite often and it genuinely amazes me every time. Every reason you give for the earth being round is dismissed as a "conspiracy", but they never manage to give a reason for a complete lack of photographic evidence of the "ice wall" that surrounds the flat earth :no:

12 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I used to live on the top floor of a block of flats , I could see for miles and miles , and i can confirm with very great authority, that the world is indeed flat.

Yeah but if you had got some boxes and piled em all up on the roof and then climbed a step ladder and jumped as high as possible off top you would see its actually rugby balled shaped .with Everest as the point at one end and  Ben Nevis the other .

12 hours ago, kennett said:

They pop up on Facebook quite often and it genuinely amazes me every time. Every reason you give for the earth being round is dismissed as a "conspiracy", but they never manage to give a reason for a complete lack of photographic evidence of the "ice wall" that surrounds the flat earth :no:

My favorite response to when a 'flat earther' is asked why, when at 35000 ft in a plane, curvature can be seen is - 'because they build aircraft with concave windows so it looks curved'

Or ,how do ships circumnavigate the world then? -'they sail in a circle' !?

Some are certifiable fruit loops, some of the more intelligent sounding ones are trolls, who wander around conspiracy groups and pages.

Their purpose ? Besides entertaining themselves, to debunk any rational conspiracy theories with association to tosh, like, flat earth, lizard men, morgellons or nibiru.

The David Icke FB page is full of them, and can be good for laugh.

15 hours ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/41973119/why-do-people-still-think-the-earth-is-flat

Saw this on the BBC news site.  Didn't know there are still those who believe the earth to be flat.  

My son said he heard a flat earth believer interviewed the other day say that there were ''literally hundreds of believers all over the GLOBE''.

It is not a "still believe" as it is a new phenomenon. As above they subscribe to a worldview that tends toward believing that something out there is bad/nasty and cannot be controlled as 150-200 years ago we could point at one or another country and say tht they are bad/nasty. Today we do not seem to be able to control our lives and therefore we have to be able to say X, Y or Z is the reason. FE`s observe the world is flat, and that allows them to control their world, however they need to have other ideas to account for things like the sun and moon NOT orbiting the (global) earth, gravity, space travel and basically that is where the trap shuts as they then see the dark sinister things lurking in the shadows where, say, France or Spain used to lurk (usually NASA, Illuminati...yadda, yadda).

As above there are those who feed them titbits when they cannot supply answers and unfortunately when using Occam`s razor or science to debunk it they cannot let go of this new reality. Imagine if they were right and the lizards came out and took control of the earth, how shocked you would be, same goes for us trying to do the same to theirs.

As long as they are not harming others just talk to them rationally and express your opinion, they are usually harmless

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Just as an aside, if you stand on the Makghadidhadi salt flats you can actually see the curvature of the earth. Quite fun and an interesting place to visit.

David.

Just as another one, I'm told that if you stand on a certain point in Bradgate Park in Leics as there is nothing higher in between you could see the Russian Steppes had it not been for the above. Unless, of course, it is flat then you could see them anyway.

43 minutes ago, henry d said:

As above there are those who feed them titbits when they cannot supply answers and unfortunately when using Occam`s razor or science to debunk it they cannot let go of this new reality. Imagine if they were right and the lizards came out and took control of the earth, how shocked you would be, same goes for us trying to do the same to theirs.

As long as they are not harming others just talk to them rationally and express your opinion, they are usually harmless

Image result for keep calm and obey your reptilian overlords