Suffering FAC or shotgun certificate problems?

Mightymariner

As per the title.

I am waiting my shotgun renewal from Lincs Police as we speak, it runs out on Friday, they have had my application since June.

Issues surrounding GP information. Initially police said ignore contentious letter regarding providing medical information from GP, then last week phoned to say there had been a change in policy and now they needed a report. Police say ask for a Subject Access Report which should cost approx £10. GP says no, only letter is a firearms report costing £28. Take it or leave it. I have to take it. Remains to be seen if I will receive new cert before old one expires. Little faith in the process.

Anyone having problems might want to look at these two links. The first contains general BMA advice to GPs.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/ethics-a-to-z/firearms

The second is rather more inflammatory and worrying as it is written by the BMA firearms task and finish group lead.

https://www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/the_practice/b/weblog/posts/updated-firearms-guidance-for-gps 

8 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

As per the title.

I am waiting my shotgun renewal from Lincs Police as we speak, it runs out on Friday, they have had my application since June.

Issues surrounding GP information. Initially police said ignore contentious letter regarding providing medical information from GP, then last week phoned to say there had been a change in policy and now they needed a report. Police say ask for a Subject Access Report which should cost approx £10. GP says no, only letter is a firearms report costing £28. Take it or leave it. I have to take it. Remains to be seen if I will receive new cert before old one expires. Little faith in the process.

Anyone having problems might want to look at these two links. The first contains general BMA advice to GPs.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/ethics-a-to-z/firearms

The second is rather more inflammatory and worrying as it is written by the BMA firearms task and finish group lead.

https://www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/the_practice/b/weblog/posts/updated-firearms-guidance-for-gps 

'The guidance therefore caters for the conscientious objector and firearm owning GP alike, and offers a range of options to satisfy different personal positions and professional expertise'

So , if your GP doesnt like guns, youre screwed basically.

What has their personal position got to do with it?

I like the way it says a weekends shooting with 250 'bismuth carts' costs £500 ,so the cost of the letter is minimal.

You would think by now that they would have a consistent policy. Some charge, some don't, some won't sign at all. One minute you can ignore the letter and then that changes.

Is it really so difficult to decide what the process is? Either they can charge, in which case we need a standard fee- or they can't. A transparent approach would be easy, a brief note on a practice website stating their position would save a lot of hassle. 

29 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

BASC should be challenging them in the courtroom, along with all the other organisations if needed. 

BASC at least have made some challenges and told us so - the silence from the others (specifically CPSA and SACS) is deafening, so before the slagging starts some verifiable indication of what they have done (if anything) should be posted.

Edited by Yellow Bear
missed a bit

My licence arrived on Saturday, same day old one expired.

As an aside, when I had a 'conversation' with a receptionist at the GPs about the report, she said 'they were important because if we didn't someone could go down the road and shoot some children'. I was dumbstruck.

That's what you are up against.