Dental Charges

marsh man

Went to the dentist on Monday for a check up and on inspection I was told by the lovely dentist that a tooth at the back of my mouth was loose and need to come out and he had a slot today where he could fit me in .

Anyhow , I went to the reception to make the appointment and I had to pay £56 first before they would make it , not having enough on me I offered to pay £40 now and the rest when I came back for the treatment , they wouldn't accept that and said I need to pay in full before they will give me a date and time, I have been going to this dentist for well over 40 years and never owed them a penny .

So having gone 5 miles back home I then had to go back with the full amount , standing in the q I must had been the only English person there as just about every language under the sun must have been spoken , now come to the annoying bit , every one handed a note or a bit of paper to make there appointment ,and all the time I was there I didn't see any money change hands until of course it came to me , with me now a few days off of being 70 I have still got to pay as long as I need dental treatment, and as far as I know , all those people in front of me today as long as they can produce a bit of paper , haven't , somehow it don't seem right.

Was informed just last week that my local dental practise  ( which I’ve been going to since school ) is closing due to being unable to attract NHS dentists. Nearest bus 13 miles away, which had 42 NHS places allocated, which went within two days! 

If  I can’t find another it’ll be private and full costs for me unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Went to the dentist on Monday for a check up and on inspection I was told by the lovely dentist that a tooth at the back of my mouth was loose and need to come out and he had a slot today where he could fit me in .

Anyhow , I went to the reception to make the appointment and I had to pay £56 first before they would make it , not having enough on me I offered to pay £40 now and the rest when I came back for the treatment , they wouldn't accept that and said I need to pay in full before they will give me a date and time, I have been going to this dentist for well over 40 years and never owed them a penny .

So having gone 5 miles back home I then had to go back with the full amount , standing in the q I must had been the only English person there as just about every language under the sun must have been spoken , now come to the annoying bit , every one handed a note or a bit of paper to make there appointment ,and all the time I was there I didn't see any money change hands until of course it came to me , with me now a few days off of being 70 I have still got to pay as long as I need dental treatment, and as far as I know , all those people in front of me today as long as they can produce a bit of paper , haven't , somehow it don't seem right.

contact your local NHS hostipital.................they will give you the location of the emergency hostipital dentist....and very good they are too.....our emergency hostipital dentist is in norwich but the hostipital is out on the ring road....i have used it a couple of times when i cant get into my dentist...

my big lab jumped over fence as i was lifting my springer over hit me full in face and smashed my front crowns ended up having a four tooth bridge costing £1700 my sons mother in law who lives in spain comes over for 2 weeks holiday and has dental treatment for two new crowns on nhs nothing to pay how do you work that one out

We went to our dentist i had to get a filling the wife didn't need anything so she got her polish at the time . we asked at reception anything to pay and the lassy says no , came home and they where on the phone to the wife you know its pay as you go you owe us nearly £10  she said i would pay it when i went back for my filling that wasnt good enough they wanted it there and then so she had to jump in the car and go back and pay it 

I just went to the dentist this morning because part of one of my molars is broken. They put some stuff in it and charged me 20 quid. But the dentist said it needs to come out eventually because its actually a baby tooth and has no roots and there is no adult tooth underneath it.

So I asked him how much would it cost to remove it and put a false one in. There were a couple of options but to do it properly it will cost me two grand!!! This is a NHS dentist what do I pay my taxes for?

14 hours ago, countryman said:

If you work or have worked all your life you pay for everything . Those that have put nothing in get it for free or rather you pay for them as well.

Exactly, this really annoys me. I very rarely ever ask the NHS for a penny and have paid full time income tax since i was 17 years old and now they want two grand off me to get a false tooth?!?!

Edited by srspower
typos

Marsh man,s dentist sounds the same "chain" as do NHS dentistry around Burton.We had to pay upfront for everything and standby and watch the paper passer,s get it for free very very high blood pressure time .

Now we are at  a decent dentist,s where you pay after the work is done and price,s are listed so no horror stories ,SRS i,m pretty sure the maximum for nhs work is £220 per job i,d go on line and have a look as 2 grand sounds like a private fee and a urine extraction to boot atb

Edited by clakk

1 hour ago, Winston72 said:

if your over 65 you shouldn't. original poster is 70

I would have thought there was a cut off point when you reach a certain age , overall we don't and cant complain , both me and my wife worked all our working life , we both got prescriptions when we were 60 , bus pass and heat allowance and in a few years time , god willing we will no longer have to pay for a t v licence .

And yet I can go into hospital for all the tests , have a free hip operation and aftercare ,but as far as I know if I live to 100 and still got the odd tooth left  and I was going to the same dentist , unless things change in the meantime I am sure I would still have to pay .

6 hours ago, srspower said:

I just went to the dentist this morning because part of one of my molars is broken. They put some stuff in it and charged me 20 quid. But the dentist said it needs to come out eventually because its actually a baby tooth and has no roots and there is no adult tooth underneath it.

So I asked him how much would it cost to remove it and put a false one in. There were a couple of options but to do it properly it will cost me two grand!!! This is a NHS dentist what do I pay my taxes for?

Exactly, this really annoys me. I very rarely ever ask the NHS for a penny and have paid full time income tax since i was 17 years old and now they want two grand off me to get a false tooth?!?!

Is this for an implant then?

I pay private at around £15 a month which is the ‘gold plan’. I get 2 check ups, 2 hygienists and an apparent 20% off work done. I’ve been going there for about 7 years and have never needed a hygienist and he always says my tooth a good. I should go down to silver plan really which is one check up a year and hygienist. He took out a tooth and didn’t charge for that. 

If a Tooth doesn't actually hurt then don't let them pull it out - I have 2 that apparently "had to come out" that have been quite happy in my mouth for at least 5 years. Every time I see my Dentist I make a point of mentioning them. As for Hygienists really?? How hard is it to brush your Teeth?, save your money and spend it on Listerene - saves you hundreds over time.