Second hand scopes

Mice!

Evening all, so what are peoples thoughts and experiences with buying second hand scopes when you can't see them till you've bought them?

obviously you can look for hours at what's available out there but I've only ever bought from a gunshop before.

thinking I can probably get an older better quality scope and mounts for a reasonable price, but is it worth the risk?

cheers all, Mice!

Have you a budget in mind as ebay.com the American ebay can save you pounds even with postage ,got a Redfield Revenge for 70 quid less than UK price and a Leupold VX1 for £200 less than buying here .Or have a look at Optics warehouse in Devon they have a good stock of used scopes are very helpful and reasonably priced atb

Cheers gents, seen a few things about, some seem a bargain others not so much so just wondered if folk took the risk on used scopes. Not looking to spend a vast amount I like my tasco but fancy something lower mag and more light for early morning on the squirrels, so much choice though these days the mind boggles.

I had a webley tracker a million years ago, put a Niko Stirling 8*56 on it, nothing but trouble, sent it back as kept loosing zero, they tested it and said its fine, that was on a .308 put it on an air rifle says I, new scope sent out which I promptly took back to the shop, full refund and bought a tasco, that's why I was wondering about second hand, but folk seem happy with them so worth a punt. Optics warehouse has also been recommended by a few folk getting new scopes at bargain prices.

I have bought off a certain auction site and normal private purchase online as well, I have also sold several scopes online.

I think I may have been lucky, my worst experience is buying a boxed scope which had obviously been used by a heavy smoker, it took ages to get rid of the smell of stale smoke!

Edited by Dekers

Thanks again all, wouldn't have considered a second hand scope without being able to see it first, I had my eye on a simmons wtc 3.5*10*50 always liked the look of them and reading on line there well thought of despite there age, bought one off Sussex countryman off of here, got extra pics off him and he answered my questions. Think it arrived this morning while we were out!!! Come on post man come back.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:23, welshwizard said:

same as with everything s/h if its an honest seller and gives accurate description  you are ok , I have had good and utter **** but the majority were fine and good purchases . 

Yes I'll agree with that, Hawkfanz said to me the other day " one mans excellent condition is another's used" 

happy to say Mrs mice went and got the scope for me and very nice it is, seems strange not having to mess with the parallax at different ranges, I've put it on the rifle I bought just to see how it looks, so that's a retro rifle and scope combo now, just need to change the o rings now and get her working.