Backcast.

lancer425

Thank you for replies and the video is good bazoka joe, :good:

I was told they used the big fixed spools on these back casters, i have never tried it but the old guy who had it was a well accomplished beachcaster back in the day gave me all his gear two ABU 484s from the 60s 70s i guess and a couple of newer rods a niceZipplex  HSM and a Diawa 130 supercast which matches one i have so got a pair now. :yes:

I will give the basckcaster a try was implied this rod was cutting edge back in the early 80s.

7 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Thank you for replies and the video is good bazoka joe, :good:

I was told they used the big fixed spools on these back casters, i have never tried it but the old guy who had it was a well accomplished beachcaster back in the day gave me all his gear two ABU 484s from the 60s 70s i guess and a couple of newer rods a niceZipplex  HSM and a Diawa 130 supercast which matches one i have so got a pair now. :yes:

I will give the basckcaster a try was implied this rod was cutting edge back in the early 80s.

As i remember it, the ABU 484 had a cork handle and the reel seat was in the high position, the back cast was used with the reel in a low position, I had three Bill Roberts  rods(Southend 1970's) @ 4-5-6oz casting weights all had a 8.6" tip and a dural butt which you cut to length, I favoured about 14 ft overall length.  the large fixed spool was held in place by using bicycle inner tubes. I never mastered the full tournament style but found the back cast  to be sensible as you use the the large muscles in the back and legs coupled with the leverage of a long rod. I dont know if this style is still used. below a 484P9220082.JPG-for-web-large.jpg.dba12c2dbfb68f3cffea835111d47de1.jpg

Edited by islandgun

The AbU 484s are in well used condition and lost some eyes and aloy showing where cork missing in a few places so not perfect but usable with a few eyes whipped on. the zipplex and the supercast are what you would expect and looked after as is  the patec morten a few marks but no damage and nice eyes good whipping.  is a heavy but good condition solid old rod, i was going to use a old blue ABU reel or a big old Mitchel i have forget the ABU numbers now i know one has a left hand handle the other is right and they are different numbers relative.

The morten is a stiffish old thing would handle rock marks i am sure of that or throw a 6oz weight well enough with the right technique, i pendulum cast with multipliers all the time when after hounds on the coast of Lincolnshire and SE so no stranger to whacking leads out a few yards , but back casting is something i have never done, and i want to master it.

Thanks for the advice i do need it certainly:yes:. be nice to catch a few on the old stager even if its just to show a picture to my old mate arthur who i have known since i was a little kid. Thanks .

Edited by lancer425

48 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Good luck bud, If your old mate isnt too old and like me, he might appreciate a couple of hours on a pier somewhere (cromer ?) and a few whiting for his tea..:good:

I do hope we get to do that islangun, his health is not good, he is all there mentally but knees breathing heart all not so good. Took him to tessco other day he was knackered when we got back to the car shocked me how fragile he is now. :unhappy:

hello, could not get on with a lead wizzing around my head so i did the pendullum cast which did 100 yards on a good wind with a 4 oz lead, always tried a night fish after a westerly blow,  dont forget using a shock leader? i used 60llb then a good 18llb nylon line, i had a very early shimano but it was not the easyist to get the hang off so i went back to a big fixed spool with a non tangle system, use to fish from west sussex to chesil beach, best fish 8llb bass off bridport beach in a gale, still got a photo some where,     

That 8lb bass would have been a good one, i took a 6.5lb one about ten yearsgo now was the best i done so far on bass. I taken to spinning for bass these days but involves traveling up north so do not get to do as much as i would perhaps want to.

I never had a shimano Multi use Daiwa Tourney Xs  Penn 425s or rock marks use  slosh 20s which i like for the rocks up north.