HW77 tuning kit

the enigma

Have a look on Woodfield GCP site it,s Welsh willy tuning kits are spot on <in my HW 97KT.>used by a fair few on H/L Forum.If u cant wait a month Tinbum,s kits off e-bay about 25 quid are also popular .Titan springs are about 25 quid from most gunshops and there,s a fellow does Delrin spring guide kits about 20 quid on the bay of evil atb and have fun

Cheers Clakk, ordered a Tinbum maxi pro kit, along with a new piston seal and a breech seal last night. I've had this rifle for about 18 months, it's one from the mid 80's and I got it at a good price. I had stripped it after I got it and it seems to be totally original, and as it was shooting fine, I didn't bother tinkering. 

I pulled it apart this morning and there's a bend in the spring, so time for an overhaul.

HW77 is back up and running. fitted with the Tinbum kit and a new breach seal. It's supplied with the export strength spring and a couple of power bands. Put the whole lot in and tried it with my usual JSB Jumbo Express 5.52 which had been pretty good in this rifle before, but now absolutely suck. Took the rifle back down and removed the power bands, and in the meantime got a tin of H&N FTT 5.53 to try. Once again the the JSB were no good, but the FTT were outstanding, the most accurate I've ever shot with this rifle. I don't have a chrono, but had a play around with chairgun, and going by the drop, it looks as if its putting out around 17ft/lb. :) As said before this rifle is on FAC. Just wondering is it worth trying it now with a power band back in or settling for what I have. Currently zeroed at 35 yards which is leaving me 1/2" high at 25 yards.

Well I guess it's largely irrelevant if the gun does what you want and shoots well who cares.?

Has to be said. So many airgunners get so hung up on energy levels. But as soon as you go fac .it ceases to be an issue. 

I could run all my fac air guns  much higher than I do .but I dont as there are more important  considerations ..shot count ,accuracy etc .

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Ultrastu  . my fac airranger .22 was set at 60fpe when i bought it 

it now operates @37fpe  which is good use of the air  supply and its accurate too

the only fac airgun i have that is outrageous is my .303 wolverine@100fpe with a 50.15 grain pellet its

devastating!!!!

atb brian

Edited by happyshooter

On 23/11/2017 at 16:47, Ultrastu said:

Well I guess it's largely irrelevant if the gun does what you want and shoots well who cares.?

Has to be said. So many airgunners get so hung up on energy levels. But as soon as you go fac .it ceases to be an issue. 

I could run all my fac air guns  much higher than I do .but I dont as there are more important  considerations ..shot count ,accuracy etc .

I have 2 Weihrauch rifles, both sub 12 fpe, a 98 in .22 and a new 77 in .177.

Being mainly a target shooter, I have no use for a FAC, but we have to careful on the power output.
I bought my 98 used, shot smoothly but chronoed at nearly 14 fpe.

My 77 was 11.4 fpe out of the box and a TinBum drop-in kit (to ease the spring twang) took it up 11.87 and with more use
I suspect it may exceed 12 fpe.
Big penalties for excessive power and a chrono is, I feel, necessary for sub 12 fpe.