Ay up from Stoke

Mighty Ruler

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

Welcome to the nut house! Make sure you get your cabinet installed before your interview with the FEO (Firearms Enquiry Officer) and don't forget the security requirements in the notes with your form.

You'll be lucky! Don't want to dash your hopes but I've heard of some folks waiting 9 months for a first grant. Keep your money in the building society earning interest until it arrives on your doorstep. Don't mean to say you can't make a nuisance of yourself looking round though. Have a look in a number of shops. Think carefully about new or second hand. There can be quite a difference in price. Benefit of new is you know how it has been treated and looked after. Generally speaking, with second hand, the cheaper they are the worse condition they are in. Compare the selling price with the new price. If you can, try before you buy when you get  your ticket.

What do you want it for, game, pigeons, rabbits or clays? Have you any ideas on make, budget, over/under, side by side or semi-auto?

Edited by Uncle Albert

Cabinets already installed.

I’d like to shoot pigeons and rabbits but until I’ve got somewhere to shoot it’ll have to be clays. I think I prefer SBS (even though I’ve never tried one) but I’ve been persuaded to go with O/U. So I’m just going to get a really cheap second hand gun and then buy something better later on when I’m sure what I want.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome,

I would sugest H G Hopkins and Sons in Sandbatch - fantastic gun shop.

Should have plenty of old sxs in there as well for very reasonable money if you dont mind shooting a non elector. Their also the sort of shop that won't mind you coming in and having a look around if you choose to do so.

Anyway, I've always been pretty happy with sxs's - and cant for the life of me get on with ou's - but perhaps thats just me.....

Happy shooting, etc

Edited by PeterHenry

3 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Welcome,

I would sugest H G Hopkins and Sons in Sandbatch - fantastic gun shop.

Should have plenty of old sxs in there as well for very reasonable money if you dont mind shooting a non elector. Their also the sort of shop that won't mind you coming in and having a look around if you choose to do so.

Anyway, I've always been pretty happy with sxs's - and cant for the life of me get on with ou's - but perhaps thats just me.....

Happy shooting, etc

Yeah, seen Hopkins online looks a good place. I keep changing my mind from one week to the next, hope I get my cert soon then I’ll have to make my mind up. As long as my wife doesn’t come with me I’ll probably get one of each then tell her it was buy one get one free LOL.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few weeks I reckon.  I started a savings fund a couple of weeks back, expecting to have 3-4 months at it before I got my license!  Got a couple of guns to try out around the £1500 mark so if any of those suit then I may snap one up.  Tried a Miroku that I quite like and I want to try a Browning 725 tomorrow to see how I get on with that.  If that fits me well then I may wang a deposit down on it and get it paid for in a month or so.

On 16/11/2017 at 14:31, Mighty Ruler said:

I’m not a big head or anything but my first choice of name was taken and I’d just been listening to a song called Mighty Ruler, so I thought that’ll do.

I’ve applied for my shotgun cert, hopefully it’ll be here just before Christmas.

Cheers

What year? lol!.........welcome!?